News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Expand on "Fair Game"...
He was subjected to an extreme focus ..which if done when GA had the ball is fine and well. But what Car did was they type crass play that was typical of so much these days.. If the umpires had any gumption at all.. they would have enforced the rule ..hands off unless the ball is within 5 metres. We have seen it on occasion where players are decked after a goal and the umpire has given them another kick at goal... well what Ablett got was beyond that..yet I doubt he got one free kick.

I agree , against us they did the same to Jack Steven , they kept bumping him to the ground, not hard but annoying. Especially when he's trying to get up and they bump him over again and the ball is up the other end . The umpires in our game watched it but did nothing . Obviously waiting to see if Jack got angry and punched back or something.

One day the afl will get involved and bring in more new rules which will be over the top for a few months before settling down again. It's just a matter of time before GWS or someone like that complains and then they will act .

If you bump someone over away from the ball then isn't that a block or something?

Sent via HAL

I agree , against us they did the same to Jack Steven , they kept bumping him to the ground, not hard but annoying. Especially when he's trying to get up and they bump him over again and the ball is up the other end . The umpires in our game watched it but did nothing . Obviously waiting to see if Jack got angry and punched back or something.

One day the afl will get involved and bring in more new rules which will be over the top for a few months before settling down again. It's just a matter of time before GWS or someone like that complains and then they will act .

If you bump someone over away from the ball then isn't that a block or something?

Sent via HAL

Without looking into the rules... Im under the impression that any body contact when the ball is not within 5M is illegal. One can not screen(shepherd) a player when the ball is not in play. there are rules on excessive rough play. Its a body contact game ..but lets think about where this type of thing leads... ia player took things into his own hands the player would get a heap of weeks , players may get hurt , and in a image conscious sport..do they really want to say to kids that its OK to send a team of kids to go out and bully on player on the other side

The umpires have been incredibly weak over this scragging of players off the ball. Penalize the perpetrators ...add a couple of 50 metre penalties resulting in a few goals and watch the practice stop pretty quickly.

It used to be the players who dealt with this type of scragging, but the "sanitizing" of the game now means we have to rely on the umpires to step in and stop this practice. Not an ideal scenario....but if we want to see it eradicated I don't see any alternative.

The umpires have been incredibly weak over this scragging of players off the ball. Penalize the perpetrators ...add a couple of 50 metre penalties resulting in a few goals and watch the practice stop pretty quickly.

It used to be the players who dealt with this type of scragging, but the "sanitizing" of the game now means we have to rely on the umpires to step in and stop this practice. Not an ideal scenario....but if we want to see it eradicated I don't see any alternative.

So no more Buddha Hocking "spare" tiger balm on the shorts to fix the opponent's type thing?

Correct, and it's been going on for years. I can still readily recollect the SJ/Baker fracas which ended-up with injuries to both and weeks to both. That could have been nipped in the bud before the first bounce when Baker started whacking SJs recently broken hand. The ump was 10 metres away and did squat. Had he blown the whistle, given SJ a free and told Baker that will be the consequence all day if he continued it would have stopped then and there.

Motlop for Ablett = Too much
Kolo for Ablett = Too much
2nd rd for Ablett = Too much

He'll 34+ for gods sake. I would absolutely love Gaz back. My fav players but really he'll play 30 games max. If we miss Gaz we miss him.

GC have no leg to stand on.

Its geelong or retire in 2018 we are not exactly competing against another club here.

Exactly David. Let it be known that it will happen..and as you say , if its still not enough find a way that it affects the scoreline , it will quickly be considered negative for their result.

On the 50M , there was at some stage an introduction of the 15M penalty for this type stuff..time delay,make them,earn it etc ... it was then changed to 50M as 15 was not really a deterrent any longer... well the way the game is heading the 50 penalty is becoming a less hurtful adjudication. So much flooding , so much full ground coverage that any delay at all still means that the player is probably looking at a lost opportunity and having to find space among 30 plus players.There will come a time that a side ends up with a shot at goal from 40 for this stuff and when that happens there will be a huge groan and cry from the same coaches that have set in place these tactics.

Its geelong or retire in 2018 we are not exactly competing against another club here.
Not after comments today. Ablett stated he wants to play for a little longer yet which kinda makes things hard to get the deal done for a paintbrush and an empty bucket.

We might just be a little more determined about this now we've lost another small
We'll have a full contingent to choose from at the beginning of 2018. And Narkle isn't a small forward.

When he is talking about playing on..its sort of take the air out of the retirement balloon .. still Im not convinced all are just drooling to have him inside the club again... he may just be one player that we set a frugal amount stick to it. After watching the SA V Allies game Im definitely off the trading 2018 picks unless it reaps us a R1

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Correct, and it's been going on for years. I can still readily recollect the SJ/Baker fracas which ended-up with injuries to both and weeks to both. That could have been nipped in the bud before the first bounce when Baker started whacking SJs recently broken hand. The ump was 10 metres away and did squat. Had he blown the whistle, given SJ a free and told Baker that will be the consequence all day if he continued it would have stopped then and there.

I remember that , was a bad look by Baker , I was most unhappy as it's like cheating by deliberately scratching someone so they have to go off. I thought at the time the umpire should have paid a free kick straight away as that would have stopped it.

Sent via An Owl , HAL is on a break.

Agree. And they are very quick to punish the retaliator.

I think it's quite possible Tony Cochrane actually is a poster on BF. (a couple will get this reference).
It's either on the cheap or he retires a Sun with a full bank balance and an under-fulfilled career.

Will not be happy if Kolo is included.

I think it's quite possible Tony Cochrane actually is a poster on BF. (a couple will get this reference).
It's either on the cheap or he retires a Sun with a full bank balance and an under-fulfilled career.

But who will you be unhappy with? If he doesn't sign a contract the Geelong's hands are tied..I doubt we will be pushing him into a trade. Have we heard they have made an off to him?

I don't think anyone could say he's had an underfulfilled career.

Depends which way you look at it.
I think its a fair call to say he hasn't played in an AFL game that has been of any real importance what so ever for 7 years now.
And players like him should be in big games on big stages. Especially during the peak years of their careers.

I can! Absolutely 100% of the time at the Suns has been a waste. For nothing. Plodding away winning 4 games a year. * that.

People are saying we hold the upper hand because he will just retire if Suns don't accept a third round pick. Wouldn't the Suns rather him retire than him go to an opposition team for a pick they probably won't use?

Back