News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it was after the Buddy Franklin 10 Year 10 million trade to Sydney that the AFL "clarified/introduced/made up" the rule that if Buddy retires before the 10 years is up his wage still has to count under the Swans salary cap even if he's not being paid. My interpretation of this is if Gary does retire at the end of this year what would make it difficult for him to play anywhere else is that 1 million dollars has to be in someone's cap. If he does retire it would be GCS's. It may be possible (but I think unlikely) for a minimal trade trade to be worked out and the cats and suns pay half his wage each. The adv for the suns is they get $500,000 salary cap relief.

I dont think so.. It has been a case in point for some time that a player retiring in contract would have to count.. Michael Voss for instance. If it were not the case once could imagine a huge backended deal for players that may be contrived.

There could be a deal done where by he extends his contract and the rate of pay is altered , just like Cloke this year

After talking to one of the Ablett's, seems the father/son rule may have played a part in why GC denied Gary's request of a trade back to Geelong.

While i'm not in favour of the money hungry prick returning to Geelong and even though i think there could be changes to the father/son rule in years to come at the moment i am happy for Geelong to have sole rights to any future father/sons of his. If there is any truth in that not reaching 100 games for GC is the best outcome for us and a kick in the gut to them.

After talking to one of the Ablett's, seems the father/son rule may have played a part in why GC denied Gary's request of a trade back to Geelong.

While i'm not in favour of the money hungry prick returning to Geelong and even though i think there could be changes to the father/son rule in years to come at the moment i am happy for Geelong to have sole rights to any future father/sons of his. If there is any truth in that not reaching 100 games for GC is the best outcome for us and a kick in the gut to them.

Seriously doubt whether that would come i into considerations. Otherwise we would have given Mark Blake one last game!

4 games shy is he not? By the looks of things that's a given.

Seriously doubt whether that would come i into considerations. Otherwise we would have given Mark Blake one last game!
I'm pretty sure that's the reason we left him stranded on 99... So we didn't make the same mistake again.

I do genuinely dislike him, he may have robbed us of another flag. We could easily have wom with him in the side in 2013 but he put paid to that.

And FYI I have spoken to him and I also told him face to face what I thought of him which he wasn't pleased about.
You don't see the irony in disliking a fellow that gave 100% to the club, helped us to a couple of premierships, whilst you haven't done anything near to it as a supporter? Fair suck of the sav.

You don't see the irony in disliking a fellow that gave 100% to the club, helped us to a couple of premierships, whilst you haven't done anything near to it as a supporter? Fair suck of the sav.
I would have seen the irony if he had left under different circumstances but he lied his way to the GC to line his pockets with cash. And he didn't give 100%, if you remember he was singled out by the playing group to put in like the rest of them.
You are right that i haven't done anything to his level but hell i've dug deep for this club over the years when they've asked, and that will also stop if they get him back.

If that is the case we can only hope that Gary Junior becomes the proud father of a bunch of girls.

Little Gazza is contracted to the Gold Diggers for the next two seasons. He will be 35 by the time that he is free from that contract.
He will be still be an RFA at the close of the 2018 season and I would not want to part with anything lower than a fourth rounder for a 35 y.o. with a problem shoulder.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that's the reason we left him stranded on 99... So we didn't make the same mistake again.
but by 2020 he will be better than mumford
late developer

i still remember those wonderful words

PS has anyone received the blake sms for christmas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He has had two injury seasons . He is an incredible talent . The premise
That what is now will be is fundamentally flawed . He might he stuffed physically or he might again become one the the best players in the afl. No one knows . To base such a strong position one way or another on such uncertainty is pure w***ery

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think if the Gold Coast have another average year and Gary has injury problems again he'll retire early at the end of next year.

I would not be surprised if he pulled the pin after next season. Especially if he does have injury issues during the year.

but by 2020 he will be better than mumford
late developer

i still remember those wonderful words

PS has anyone received the blake sms for christmas
Sicko.
Wait a minute, Sicko doesn't make these posts.

15665481_727136957449986_909673338717238279_n.jpg

Just thought an article where he apparently told the GC hierarchy he was committed to staying there would put the rumours about his impending return to rest, but as you say, not sure you can take anything he says as gospel.
I would take anything that Cochrane says was told to him with the respect it deserves

none

Can this 68 page thread please be added to not worthy of its own thread thread. As this thread ain't worthy of its own thread. Why are people still discussing it? It's just as likely as gary ablett (the better one) making a comeback in his fifties.

It is not that often that I agree with you Mr Seeds. But this is one of those posts where I do agree.

A little disrespectful nakia. His old man rod was a solid ruckman and mark a premiership player. Granted mummy should have been selected, and get the humour but his kid may be a star of the future. Keeping a lookout for the blake file.

Back