News OFFICIAL: Gary Ablett traded to Geelong

How many games will Ablett play for Geelong in his second stint

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That's the other issue with it - if he goes well this year his price to acquire will be high. If he goes poorly, well, do we really want him?
yeah it's a double edged sword... and if he goes well this year it doesn't mean he has much left in the tank still... given his age.
On a risk V reward decision I think the risk now will be too great going forward...The romantic side of us all is the only reason we are even considering it

That's easy. A couple of draft picks. Sorted.
that for me is comfortably too high

so therefore I expect that is exactly what we cough up for this to happen

Can someone please exercise explain to me the risk! If we get him for not much from the GC and he isn't on much money which he won't be then what is the risk. What one list spot? 2 years of one list spot!! How is that a risk?

Id suggest the risk is not so related to the list spot, not even the SC hit up to 500k.

It's what the trade cost would be to get him - and if that is high picks, players or both, then the risk reward analysis tips too far into the risk category.. And quickly it seems ... Which honestly I'm very inclined to agree with.

Go Catters

No deal
And we all move on, he signed a 3 year deal, and then wanted to walk out
He is just a money hungry twat
Don't need his attitude
Whilst I agree with most of this I think that we just have to be pragmatic about it. If it's on our terms and it's going to help the club then why not?

There's no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face...

That's the other issue with it - if he goes well this year his price to acquire will be high. If he goes poorly, well, do we really want him?
What do you mean if he wins the best and fairest like Sam Mitchell? Yeah the eagles had to give up the farm for him didn't they. Why would GC play hard ball? There is no way they should want to keep 34 year old on good money who has no chance of being part of their next successful era! Even more importantly Geelong will definitely not trade for him if they ask much at all. As I said there will be no risk.

What do you mean if he wins the best and fairest like Sam Mitchell? Yeah the eagles had to give up the farm for him didn't they. Why would GC play hard ball? There is no way they should want to keep 34 year old on good money who has no chance of being part of their next successful era! Even more importantly Geelong will definitely not trade for him if they ask much at all. As I said there will be no risk.

But its not just GCS... its the AFL and they will want maximum returns for their pet project...

I just think there is too much politics in this to have it go cheaply or easily... and sure as hell not quietly.

For what it's worth, I hope you are right.

GO Catters

N
Id suggest the risk is not so related to the list spot, not even the SC hit up to 500k.

It's what the trade cost would be to get him - and if that is high picks, players or both, then the risk reward analysis tips too far into the risk category.. And quickly it seems ... Which honestly I'm very inclined to agree with.

Go Catters
no offence but have you people lost your mind. If they ask for much we simply will not do it. Why will it be different than the San Mitchell trade? What possible reason would the GC have for wanting to be difficult and keep a player who costs a lot is 34 and doesn't want to be there. If he comes he will come for * all.

But its not just GCS... its the AFL and they will want maximum returns for their pet project...

I just think there is too much politics in this to have it go cheaply or easily... and sure as hell not quietly.

GO Catters
You can only get what the other team is willing to give regardless of whether the AFL is involved or not. Quite simply no one is giving a decent draft pick or a required player for a 34 year old no matter who it is. Clubs just wouldn't do it in my opinion. GC could go after a free agent who might be part of their next successful period if they get his money off their books a la what Hawthorn did.

Exactly. No point stressing about. If they want to much we don't do it.
They lose more than us really.

Exactly. No point stressing about. If they want to much we don't do it.
They lose more than us really.
The worry though is that in their fawning and forgiving way, the club DO give too much for him with some misguided notion of romance, or "Ablett = bums on seats" mentality. Five years ago I'd have felt more confident that the club wouldn't go overboard to re-recruit a player but it appears that the last trade period exposed us as being very quick to offload all sign of Ablett compo in some vain hope that the AFL would allow Ablett an easy transition back to Geelong. Contrary to what a lot of people think, George Horlin-Smith has no trade value, and packaging him off with Murdoch doesn't make the prospect more attractive. We've already on-traded future first round picks for however long, how would this not cost us a lot?

GO Catters
Can't understate the manipulation of the afl, especially with their manufactured sides.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

N

no offence but have you people lost your mind. If they ask for much we simply will not do it. Why will it be different than the San Mitchell trade? What possible reason would the GC have for wanting to be difficult and keep a player who costs a lot is 34 and doesn't want to be there. If he comes he will come for **** all.
I think (I could be wrong) Daz was referring to the risk that even if gc and the Cats are agreeable, there may be input from others that will mean we pay overs. I would be surprised if they didn't have a hand in stalling this years trade after O'meara and Prestia exited. For the ego's at the AFL, us getting him back would signal a massive failure for their expansion plans. So even if we can do a deal, we may end up wasting picks or time trying to get it done. Think Delidio/Caddy this year...

I would be livid if we gave up anything more than a top 60 pick. We should only consider it if we can get him for next to nothing.

I think he will tell gc trade me and get a bit in return or i will retire and you get nothing.

But i also sort of hope it doesnt happen. He's too old and he made his bed going to the gold coast, so he can lay in it.

Whilst I agree with most of this I think that we just have to be pragmatic about it. If it's on our terms and it's going to help the club then why not?

There's no point in cutting off your nose to spite your face...
he is about ablett and only ablett, and made his bed
time to suck it up
anyways why do we need a washed up logie attending twat

We will give up next to nothing for him, look at the Mitchell deal, it will get done.

Mitchell wasnt contracted at 1mil for 2018 which ablett is. Plus cochrane is a crazy idiot look at how he dealt with all the teams in v8 supercars to see how difficult he is to deal with.

Even if we can wear that much money in thw cap i doubt they trade him for a 3rd rounder and we shouldnt trade more than that for a 34yo who is FA in 2018.

T
Mitchell wasnt contracted at 1mil for 2018 which ablett is. Plus cochrane is a crazy idiot look at how he dealt with all the teams in v8 supercars to see how difficult he is to deal with.

Even if we can wear that much money in thw cap i doubt they trade him for a 3rd rounder and we shouldnt trade more than that for a 34yo who is FA in 2018.
That doesn't make sense. The fact that he is on big money makes it more likely they would be happy to let him go not less. They could free up money in their salary cap and go after a free agent who is actually likely to still be playing when they are good

he is about ablett and only ablett, and made his bed
time to suck it up
anyways why do we need a washed up logie attending twat
A 34yo washed up hack on decent coin for 5-10 games or a draft pick on very little coin with a potential 150+ games?? Frees up funds for what ever we need come 2018

Would be nice though. We haven't seen him uninjured for years. Has hardly played. He could still be a gun for another few years. He is an ABLETT after all. They aren't human

Back