Could interstate clubs sell games to the MCG?

Remove this Banner Ad

Mick39

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
http://www.triplem.com.au/melbourne...calls-of-more-mcg-games-for-interstate-teams/

Port Adelaide president David Koch has called on the AFL to give interstate teams three or four games at the MCG every year.

It comes on the back of the Eagles struggling in the Grand Final after playing one game on the ground all year.

Eddie McGuire gave his solution to the Triple M's Hot Breakfast this morning:

"There is one solution to this. Sell your home games," Eddie said.

"Don't play at Adelaide Oval. If you want to play Collingwood at the MCG, Port Adelaide and David (Koch), call me at 9:01.

"The deal will be done at 9:01.5, simple as that."

Ed (probably deliberately) misses the point once again. There's a lot of absolute stupidity on what he said but my favourite bits are:

"Why was there no outcry when Hawthorn had to travel to Perth for a cut throat final" Umm probably cos Freo finished top Ed. Nobody thinks Hawks playing grand finals at MCG is unfair if they qualify higher

(Paraphrasing) "Port Adelaide have home ground advantage at Adelaide Oval for 12 gamss but there's absolutely none at the MCG" erm what, either playing at home is am advantage regardless (in which case Pies get it 17 times a year) or its only an advantage when you play an interstate side, in which case Port only get 10

But my favourite was his "life isn't equal but it's not disequal enough to..." then trails off as pinhead Darcy starts mumbling. The one man involved in the AFL who has done more to remove perceived inequalities now says "eh it's close enough" when it comes to this. The man is a caricature

We played the Pies in Melbourne at Eitthad. Didn't realise that was the Pies home ground...

All Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Richmond, Melbourne and Hawthorn home games should be at the MCG.
All St.Kilda, Bulldogs, and North Melbourne home games should be at Docklands.
All Geelong home games should be at Kardinia Park.

Could allow for non Vic sides to get 3 MCG games each season.

It's not the worst idea. Say the Round 2 game between West Coast and Carlton at Subiaco was in Round 20, the Eagles offer Carlton to move the game to the MCG to get experience on the MCG for September. A fee is agreed to & Carlton get to make money off the deal and an extra game in Melbourne.

Ed (probably deliberately) misses the point once again. There's a lot of absolute stupidity on what he said but my favourite bits are:

"Why was there no outcry when Hawthorn had to travel to Perth for a cut throat final" Umm probably cos Freo finished top Ed. Nobody thinks Hawks playing grand finals at MCG is unfair if they qualify higher

(Paraphrasing) "Port Adelaide have home ground advantage at Adelaide Oval for 12 gamss but there's absolutely none at the MCG" erm what, either playing at home is am advantage regardless (in which case Pies get it 17 times a year) or its only an advantage when you play an interstate side, in which case Port only get 10

But my favourite was his "life isn't equal but it's not disequal enough to..." then trails off as pinhead Darcy starts mumbling. The one man involved in the AFL who has done more to remove perceived inequalities now says "eh it's close enough" when it comes to this. The man is a caricature

My favourite Eddieism was from a few years ago prior to the Gold Coast coming in. The AFL wanted games to be played up there to increase the exposure of the game, and of course Eddie said that the biggest club in the AFL in Collingwood should be playing in those games to get the best exposure for the sport.

The catch being he wanted interstate clubs to have their home games moved there, and Collingwood would play them there at the neutral venue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My favourite Eddieism from a few years ago prior to the Gold Coast coming in. The AFL wanted games to be played up there to increase the exposure of the game, and of course Eddie said that the biggest club in the AFL in Collingwood should be playing up there to get the best exposure for the game.

The catch being he wanted interstate clubs to have their home games moved there, and Collingwood would play them there at the neutral venue.
haha yep, six away games at the GC (and no visits to Brisbane/Perth/Adelaide/Sydney) as part of the deal IIRC

no issue with him advocating this in his role as Pies president (albeit it makes him look like a fool IMO, others will disagree) but when he hides behind the veneer of "oh i'm a journalist so this is for the good of the game" - eddie pls give me a spell

It's not the worst idea. Say the Round 2 game between West Coast and Carlton at Subiaco was in Round 20, the Eagles offer Carlton to move the game to the MCG to get experience on the MCG for September. A fee is agreed to & Carlton get to make money off the deal and an extra game in Melbourne.

And * the West Coast fans in Perth?

The Grand Final should always be at the MCG.

But every side should get a reasonable opportunity to play at the MCG during the season.

The big question of course is when Victorians can start to be trusted to negotiate fair contracts that dont drag third parties through the wringer?

How about we just go through the season playing each club at their home ground rather than being shipped off to every corner of the country to meet some spurious agenda for the other club?

Cant make enough money at your own home ground? Get out of the league, amateurs.

We played Melbourne in Darwin , and the Pies at Etihad this year. Typically also play Hawks in Tasmania. Potential MCG games wasted. If teams actually played all their home games at their actual home grounds this wouldn't be such a problem . We also played 2x games in Queensland (and Adelaide, though not complaining about that ) and none in Sydney/not as many as usual in Melbourne . Go figure .

Last edited:
My favourite Eddieism was from a few years ago prior to the Gold Coast coming in. The AFL wanted games to be played up there to increase the exposure of the game, and of course Eddie said that the biggest club in the AFL in Collingwood should be playing in those games to get the best exposure for the sport.

We call that one 'doing a Carlton.'

That was their suggestion when they voted to kick us out of the league in the early 90s. They'd play their 'away' games at the SCG (and take all our best players).

We call that one 'doing a Carlton.'

That was their suggestion when they voted to kick us out of the league in the early 90s. They'd play their 'away' games at the SCG (and take all our best players).

Ahhh those were the days when Carlton used to be relevant ;)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back