Could Macca land Nathan Ablett at the Dog's ?

acker

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2005
Riverina
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Bulldogs
Article also says he is currently being coached by Scott West, we have a club legend who can offer opinion if he is or is not up to it.

Between C.Crant and B.Hall our club has not had many big guys up to it.

pumpter

All Australian
Oct 8, 2004
Traralgon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Western Bulldogs
The only reason you would draft Nathan Ablett is that it's a part of a package deal to land Little Gazza. Seeing as though Little Gazza isn't leaving the Gold Coast anytime soon, so why in gods name would you even consider drafting Nathan Ablett?????

Float the idea on the Bulldogs Facebook Page. They will go nuts for it.

Jmac2225

Club Legend
Jun 6, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
Why the Bulldogs anyway? They have an abundance of young talls to grow into those rolls anyway. Stick with the kids.

I think a club like Carlton is in more dire need of a FF than the Bulldogs.

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
This is a guy who was dropped from the Gold coast. His competition for spots was against 18 year olds with raw bodies.

20-do-not-want.jpg

AndrewD

Senior List
Jun 24, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Obviously Nathan is looking for a bit more than Country or Metro footy considering he is at Werribee

Mate, I think it'd be fairer to say he's looking for more coin than he can earn playing country or Metro footy.

Regardless, we watched him play for a few years up here in Qld and he was bloody hopeless. Despite playing in a pretty weak competition he never once dominated a game and I don't recall him every managing to kick more than 4 goals - something that shouldn't happen given the lack of opposition. Also gave me the distinct impression that he thought defense was the thing they built around de-ground.

Tallsies

Debutant
Apr 15, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Article also says he is currently being coached by Scott West, we have a club legend who can offer opinion if he is or is not up to it.

Between C.Crant and B.Hall our club has not had many big guys up to it.
Would Gumbleton from Essendon be worth a punt with one of the third round picks, surely his time is up at essendon and even though he's injury prone, it might be worth having a go at him.

AndrewD

Senior List
Jun 24, 2009
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Fitzroy
Would Gumbleton from Essendon be worth a punt with one of the third round picks, surely his time is up at essendon and even though he's injury prone, it might be worth having a go at him.

Not unless you paid him absolute minimum wage, he had a clean bill of health from a dozen different sources and you had someone who could completely overhaul his kicking action, which is diabolical (Peter Hudson would be my pick - he did wonders for Stewie Lowe). The guy can take a mark, no doubts about that, but I want us to have a team full of guys who can kick the ball with pinpoint accuracy whether its at goal or around the ground.

I say, forget Gumbleton and take a good look at Tom Gillies from Geelong. With Scarlett and Lonegan in the team he hasn't been able to crack it for a regular game and he might be very willing to go to a club where he would be needed, even if Scarlo retires at the end of the year. I'd also be looking at any other regular key forwards who just can't force their way into another team. They won't be expensive (if they want anything more than a chance to play, they're not worth taking) and if they're better than what we've got, we need to look at them. I mean blokes like Ben Warren, Shannon Byrnes, Kane Lucas (not a forward but is a class player) and Mitch Brown (might be able to convince him that a change of scenery will equal a change of fortune - can play forward and back; key position). I don't know if all of those players are out of contract but it doesn't hurt for the club to check. Even if they're not available next year, they might be in the future.

Might also do well out of the bidding war emerging through free agency. Also, if Carlton is looking to take on Cloke, they'll have to make a lot of room in their salary cap. That could mean several fringe but highly capable players need to be moved on; a player who doesn't want to take a pay cut will need to look for another team or a player expecting a jump in pay will want to look at another team. If Cloke doesn't go then the same situation could play out at Collingwood.

Back