Could or Should They be trialled in alternative roles?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we have many players that their roles can be changed.

I hope Cuningham Fisher etc can stand up and release Murphy forward
Rowe may come back as a back up ruck/forward
Wright as a small defender? Consistency is his issue but a very good ball user and tough.
Macreadie as a key forward even for development?
Still want to see Charlie in the midfield. Very special.

A lot will depend on recruiting and trades but I see our back line as having depth, our midfield needing more depth and class and our forward line as young but with potential. I just don't see any more Liam Jones on our list
Interested that Sellers is keen to see Marchbank up forward (in the Cripps article this morning). Really good hands and reads the play well. Might be the man for the the role that Weitering was tried in if all of our defenders are up and running.

Backline for Pickett might be alright. Want to see him get cleaner below his knees and stronger in the air. I'd be thinking more center for pickett, he's got a strong body.

Silvagni - Not at the moment but a few years in the system perhaps as a midfielder, not permanently though. Think he's got the clean hands, just not the endurance or body strength yet.

McKay - Ruck or Center Half Back. I think McKay needs to have a run out of the forward line, perhaps center half back where he can get some space and use his pace and get some possessions. I think at his size his future must involve some ruck or perhaps a lot of ruck.

Sumner - Part time onballer. Has the skill, strength and aggression. Just not fit enough.

Marchbank - Center half forward. Can run like the wind and take a nice mark. Perhaps even up on the wing.

Weitering - Full forward. Hasn't got great pace or leap so he's going to have to be big and strong like Jonathan Brown. Knows how to use his body but at this stage he doesn't have the size or strength. I think he may return forward when he does.

Cuningham - He's definitely an inside midfielder and plays like one but perhaps half back. I think linking up and getting in space is something that he could be better at. Get him in the simpson/docerty role off half back and teach him to use his pace. Great kick.

Charlie Curnow - He could play anywhere but I wouldn't be moving him.

Williamson - Wing. He's going to be a good half back but if we could get him up on the wing with his kicking going forward we'd be laughing.

Byrne - He's typically a half back but I think wing, center or half forward flank would not be beyond him.

I think Jaksch has been tried in every position. :( There was that one 3-ruck game that Kreuzer spent a half in defense.

Buckley - centre square, handball receives from Cripps - 55m mongrel punts into the arms of Casboult leading out of the goalsquare
White - forward pocket, has played a handful of games up there

I've thought in the past about White up forward. In theory he seems as though he'd do alright.

Likewise, I'd like to see Bucks on the ball a little bit. Although I think he lacks defensively, hence his playing in defense for the twos. If he gets that sorted I agree.

I would like to see Pickett played as an attacking half back (when he builds his fitness base) and see how Plowman goes as a midfielder. if he covered 17km yesterday he must have a good tank. Williamson (eventually) as a wing or mid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has Kristian Jaksch had the fork stuck in him already in the VFL? Any chance that he could rekindle something? Or is the workrate remained nowhere close to where they want it to be?

He's about the only one that could rekindle something in a Liam Jones type way. But given how late it is it looks extremely unlikely. At least Liam had been showing massive signs for a couple of months before getting his chance in the seniors.

Has Kristian Jaksch had the fork stuck in him already in the VFL? Any chance that he could rekindle something? Or is the workrate remained nowhere close to where they want it to be?

He's about the only one that could rekindle something in a Liam Jones type way. But given how late it is it looks extremely unlikely. At least Liam had been showing massive signs for a couple of months before getting his chance in the seniors.
We gotta delist someone and it's sure as hell won't be Liam jones anymore. Stick a fork in him, such a shame and such a waste

I don't think we have many players that their roles can be changed.

I hope Cuningham Fisher etc can stand up and release Murphy forward
Rowe may come back as a back up ruck/forward
Wright as a small defender? Consistency is his issue but a very good ball user and tough.
Macreadie as a key forward even for development?
Still want to see Charlie in the midfield. Very special.

A lot will depend on recruiting and trades but I see our back line as having depth, our midfield needing more depth and class and our forward line as young but with potential. I just don't see any more Liam Jones on our list

If people aren't keen on JW up forward then we should at least give Macreadie a go up forward for the rest of this year.

Backline for Pickett might be alright. Want to see him get cleaner below his knees and stronger in the air. I'd be thinking more center for pickett, he's got a strong body.

Silvagni - Not at the moment but a few years in the system perhaps as a midfielder, not permanently though. Think he's got the clean hands, just not the endurance or body strength yet.

McKay - Ruck or Center Half Back. I think McKay needs to have a run out of the forward line, perhaps center half back where he can get some space and use his pace and get some possessions. I think at his size his future must involve some ruck or perhaps a lot of ruck.

Sumner - Part time onballer. Has the skill, strength and aggression. Just not fit enough.

Marchbank - Center half forward. Can run like the wind and take a nice mark. Perhaps even up on the wing.

Weitering - Full forward. Hasn't got great pace or leap so he's going to have to be big and strong like Jonathan Brown. Knows how to use his body but at this stage he doesn't have the size or strength. I think he may return forward when he does.

Cuningham - He's definitely an inside midfielder and plays like one but perhaps half back. I think linking up and getting in space is something that he could be better at. Get him in the simpson/docerty role off half back and teach him to use his pace. Great kick.

Charlie Curnow - He could play anywhere but I wouldn't be moving him.

Williamson - Wing. He's going to be a good half back but if we could get him up on the wing with his kicking going forward we'd be laughing.

Byrne - He's typically a half back but I think wing, center or half forward flank would not be beyond him.

The thing is we have a number of options now; we're not in contention to make the eight so why not tinker a bit - try several players in new roles, not all at once mind you! As we all know we have a surfeit of established defenders and nominal defenders - all talented players - so let's move a few up the ground. I think it's a certainty that if Byrne establishes himself down back again that Doc will become a permanent midfielder, but with such a young team we have quite a few positional options at our disposal. It would be good to have someone up forward who is a reliable set-shot for goal (Cas and Jack are great in their own way, but both are poor set-shots for goal, although Jack can/will improve) and who can preferably put them through from 50+ - we used to have a guy called Fevola - he was a good kick! Weitering/Marchbank/Macreadie/Williamson - one of these guys can become a tall forward and one can become a midfielder. Simples!:D

The thing is we have a number of options now; we're not in contention to make the eight so why not tinker a bit - try several players in new roles, not all at once mind you! As we all know we have a surfeit of established defenders and nominal defenders - all talented players - so let's move a few up the ground. I think it's a certainty that if Byrne establishes himself down back again that Doc will become a permanent midfielder, but with such a young team we have quite a few positional options at our disposal. It would be good to have someone up forward who is a reliable set-shot for goal (Cas and Jack are great in their own way, but both are poor set-shots for goal, although Jack can/will improve) and who can preferably put them through from 50+ - we used to have a guy called Fevola - he was a good kick! Weitering/Marchbank/Macreadie/Williamson - one of these guys can become a tall forward and one can become a midfielder. Simples!:D

Yeah wouldn't mind seeing a bit of tinkering. I'd like to see Marchbank have a run up forward. Wouldn't mind seeing McKay have a run at center half back even if it was just for a half in the reserves. Byrne I think would be doing well if he made the AFL side again this season, no rush there. Docherty is getting more time in the center and looks a good clearance player. Cuningham is a player I wouldn't mind seeing play some half back, he's a natural inside midfielder who I think could get some more footy on the outside, this might help get him in that mind frame of receiving a bit more plus he's a good kick and runner. Definitely be giving Williamson a run on the wing, I'm looking forward to him running through the 50 kicking a few goals. We need to be thinking of finding someone who can play a similar role to Simpson, can't expect him to play forever even if he looks like he will.

All this talk of tapas is making me hungry.

tapas-san-seb.jpg

I would like to see Willa, Charlie and Fisher, and SPS, play more midfield next year, rotation after Murphy, Cripps and Ed.
It will be great when we can put Murph in the forward pocket 80% of the time. It will mean our midfield depth is great and i reckon he would be a weapon there.

On SM-N920I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back