Could the Geelong lifestyle model suit a third WA team?

Remove this Banner Ad

Not as mad as it seems. The Bunbury/Busselton area is booming. Busselton alone has tripled its population in the last 15 years. It would still be a stretch though.

Bit of research on the population if a team based in Bunbury/Busselton and surrounding areas

Bunbury - 90,000
Busselton - 41,000
Margaret River - 17,000
Augusta - 17,000
Australind 16,500
Other 12,000

Is that enough to support a team?
How many AFL players come from that area?

I’m really not that sure about the lifestyle factor. Geelong and the Surf Coast is very suburban. Has the surf, that’s probably about it.

I think it’s more to do with the fact they’re a successful club and also they do target players from western Victoria which is a pretty rich footy area, for them it’s home or pretty close to.

Been supplying top class indigenous players to WA footy since the 1950s.
So Farmer, Cable, Jackson, the Krakouers who went east in the VFL era & the likes of Jack Hunt & Ted Kilmurray from the 50s through to Stephen Michael in the 80s through the multitude who have been attracted to the AFL.
So plenty.

Thought I'd check on this, looks the most recent shark attack was back in August 2022.

Before that was way back in April 2022.

Then all the way back to November 2021.

Then only three all the way to 2020. ;)

A very rare kind, a Saints premiership player Brian Sierakowski was past his prime when he went close:

Better known (by me) as a member of Subi's 1973 premiership team & patron of the Think Subi campaign for an elbow to jaw of a South Fremantle footballer. (an attack on a Sjera's elbow).

White pointers arent as common then.;)

See my previous comment - four in the 2020 Richmond Premiership side.

Some others recently include Lewis/Neville Jetta, Morabito, Reimers, Stratton, Mitch/Jeremy McGovern(s), Bennell, Darcy Cameron - going back there's Peter Bell, Priddis, Gardiner. If you did go from Mandurah to Esperance you could also include Fyfe at a stretch.

To be honest I think AFL has tapped out in WA and SA when considering a third team.

I don’t know much about WA except the population outside of Perth is similar to SA (basically non existent. Norwood would be the only team I could see ever trying to get to as a third team in SA.

Most footy fans would have a team already either from AFL or the old VFL.

Geelong works because it’s an established club for ions and they don’t need to travel far for a lot of their matches.

The AFL are struggling with the current expansion teams plus possible TAS soon. Population of Australia isn’t that big that you could financially hold up many more teams.

So not financially viable?? Who funds it?
If you're looking for sponsors:
"Companies with operations in the South West include Iluka Resources, Talison Lithium, Alcoa, Tronox, Doral Mineral Sands, Griffin Coal, CalEnergy Resources, Newmont, Mineral Resources, Albermarle, Simcoa, Premier Coal, South32, Worsley and Hexion". CBH Group are a decent size too.

I don't think it would be that much of a stretch for the cashed up WA Govt to invest money in any regional centre in those areas.

Initially itd be hard to draw a fan-base but I don't think there's generations on rusted supporters for either club like there is and you'd eventually get the kids coming through and convert some people who are on the fence with no deep connection to either side.

Don't know. Off the top of my head, from Freo Ethan Hughes and Connor Blakely are from Bunbury, Jye Amiss is from Busselton, and if you go a little bit further Nathan Wilson is from Mandurah (about an hour away between Bunbury and Perth) and a bit further again, Nat Fyfe is from Lake Grace and Jordan Clark is from Albany.

This is a pretty amazing graphic as well...

download.jpg

Some others recently include Lewis/Neville Jetta, Morabito, Reimers, Stratton, Mitch/Jeremy McGovern(s), Bennell, Darcy Cameron - going back there's Peter Bell, Priddis, Gardiner. If you did go from Mandurah to Esperance you could also include Fyfe at a stretch.
A bit further back and you get Leon Baker, and the GOAT Stephan Michael is from Collie.

I can’t see it happening. I have a place in Busselton so am down there a lot and while the locals rely on tourism, all they ever do is complain about the tourists. It’s a pretty sleepy place. Kind of place where if you want a meal after 8 on a Saturday night you are probably going to get Maccas! Haha
Just have a look at some of the developments that get knocked back down in the SW because the locals don’t like change. Dunsborogh had a year long petition/battle opposing a new service station because they already had 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"Companies with operations in the South West include Iluka Resources, Talison Lithium, Alcoa, Tronox, Doral Mineral Sands, Griffin Coal, CalEnergy Resources, Newmont, Mineral Resources, Albermarle, Simcoa, Premier Coal, South32, Worsley and Hexion". CBH Group are a decent size too.

I don't think it would be that much of a stretch for the cashed up WA Govt to invest money in any regional centre in those areas.

Initially itd be hard to draw a fan-base but I don't think there's generations on rusted supporters for either club like there is and you'd eventually get the kids coming through and convert some people who are on the fence with no deep connection to either side.

How long did it take the cashed up WA government to build a proper stadium?

No, a third WA in Perth or regional WA makes no sense atm. Bunbury has less than half the population of Geelong and is 3 times further away from Perth than Geelong is from Melbourne. And I feel 2 teams is enough for WA. Freo hasn't even won one yet, maybe after Freo wins one, Tasmania, Canberra get a team if there's somehow a market for a third team we could begin considering it.

A third NSW side in Newcastle is the comparison. 2 hours drive from Sydney & over double Geelong’s population.

Sponsorship is not a donation/gift.

A Receiver would need a very strong business case:14 Sept 2022
Griffin Coal's bankers have pushed the business into receivership with debts believed to be about $1 billion in a move prompting South32 to ...

You are an optimist imho.

The game (both the AFL & WAFC) does not need another financial cot case on their hands.

Thought I'd check on this, looks the most recent shark attack was back in August 2022.

Before that was way back in April 2022.

Then all the way back to November 2021.

Then only three all the way to 2020. ;)
Big Noah’s arks over there as well. You’d hate your marquee player to be on the wrong end of a 16 footer.

Very hard to do now when the whole state has pretty much chosen a side.

And there is not near enough people in any area outside Perth to support an AFL team IMO.

Tasmanian's have their own side but they are willing to turncoat so... perhaps other states will too?

Don't know. Off the top of my head, from Freo Ethan Hughes and Connor Blakely are from Bunbury, Jye Amiss is from Busselton, and if you go a little bit further Nathan Wilson is from Mandurah (about an hour away between Bunbury and Perth) and a bit further again, Nat Fyfe is from Lake Grace and Jordan Clark is from Albany.

This is a pretty amazing graphic as well...

View attachment 1523526

The SW has been a footy nursery for decades. Talent is not the problem.

The NFL couldn’t handle 2 or 3 sides in most states let alone sleepy old WA or SA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back