• Not coming back

Votes: 10 25.0%
  • AFL backflip on finals and play last 3 games later this year

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

With the AFL set to lose many millions will they still be able to fund AFLW? Have we seen the last game?

It’s gone unless the AFL
players (and quite possibly executives) make significant sacrifices to existing contractual arrangements.

AFLW is more important to expansion into the Northern states than the men’s teams.

While the AFL while brought to its knees, NRL are in a way worse situation.

It’s an opportunity to kill off NRL.

In WA, West Coast can weather the storm no problems and Fremantle can be supported by the state government.

SA, the state government can look after the Crows and Port.

Victoria government will always look after the VFL teams.

In the issue will be the Northern men’s teams. Queensland and NSW will support the NRL before the AFL.
At the end of the day, the women’s game is the future of AFL.

Still exist but halt expansion. Maybe wind back the extra game that was supposed to be increased in 2021
I think it might be better to get rid of two Victorian clubs ie St Kilda and Richmond.

Make it a 12 team compo.

5 conference games

Then play a 8 team finals knock out style.

1A v 4B
2A v 3B
1B v 4A
2B v 3A

I can honestly see the AFLW being shelved for the time being. The AFL are only going to care about generating a profit at all costs once everything goes back to normal and I can’t see the AFLW at this early stage being able to survive on its own merit unfortunately. Perhaps through government funding and support the AFL can keep it around but for quite some time to come governments are going to have other concerns ahead of entertainment.

The aflw is not going to end. What a ridiculous proposition

It's like some people have not realised we're in the era of equality - no organisation in this day and age is going to back out of something for one gender because they're prioritising the other. Sure - if the AFL went bankrupt then a successor organisation may not prioritise reintroducing a replacement for AFLW, but as long as AFL is going then AFLW is here to stay (and that's a good thing). There's more chance of them renaming the men's comp AFLM than there is them walking away from AFLW.

It's like some people have not realised we're in the era of equality - no organisation in this day and age is going to back out of something for one gender because they're prioritising the other. Sure - if the AFL went bankrupt then a successor organisation may not prioritise reintroducing a replacement for AFLW, but as long as AFL is going then AFLW is here to stay (and that's a good thing). There's more chance of them renaming the men's comp AFLM than there is them walking away from AFLW.

Lol - I don’t think you’ve yet come to terms with the era of COVID-19

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What is this sudden fascination with the AFLW dying?

Not sure anyone wants it to die but in these tough times they should be required to stand on their own two feet and that starts by charging an entry fee

Can't charge an entry fee if there's no games playing.

I’m talking about going forward.
Things are going to be tight for a couple of years so they are going to need to bring in some income themselves and can’t expect to be completely subsided

They do bring in their own income through merchandise, sponsorships, memberships and the like.

They do bring in their own income through merchandise, sponsorships, memberships and the like.
Enough to generate a profit when the AFL pays wages and all other costs associated with setting the league up anD playing games?

don’t get me wrong here, I want the league to survive and am not questioning the legitimacy of it. It would be a shame and a step backwards for it to be shelved for time to come. But as I (and it’s only the opinion of little old me of course) see it the AFLs sole priority in 2021 will be to get as much money as possible back in the kitty- if the AFLW isn’t generating a profit (and from memory it’s somewhat of an investment for the AFL in these infancy years, ie. not making money) then I could see them pausing the professional league for long enough for the AFL to become financially stable again.

Lol - I don’t think you’ve yet come to terms with the era of COVID-19

Seeing as I'm one of these so-called health experts* who's advising a small part of the WA health system on its response to COVID-19 I think I've got my head around it OK thanks.

My point is that (in my opinion) the AFL isn't about to sacrifice gender equality to save the men's game. Either they both go down or they both stay afloat.

* So-called because it's difficult to be an expert in an unprecedented situation

Seeing as I'm one of these so-called health experts* who's advising a small part of the WA health system on its response to COVID-19 I think I've got my head around it OK thanks.

My point is that (in my opinion) the AFL isn't about to sacrifice gender equality to save the men's game. Either they both go down or they both stay afloat.

* So-called because it's difficult to be an expert in an unprecedented situation
The AFL is a business above all and they will do whatever’s necessary to generate profit. The AFLW is one of these avenues but is in its infancy and currently isn’t generating a profit. Don’t think for a second they’d let a men’s club (let alone the competition) die for the sake of keeping the AFLW- to lose a men’s team is to lose a televised game a week and results in a big hit to the $ generated.

The AFL is a business above all and they will do whatever’s necessary to generate profit. The AFLW is one of these avenues but is in its infancy and currently isn’t generating a profit. Don’t think for a second they’d let a men’s club (let alone the competition) die for the sake of keeping the AFLW- to lose a men’s team is to lose a televised game a week and results in a big hit to the $ generated.
Exactly. The AFL simply can’t afford to let a men’s team fold for risk of losing a massive TV rights deal. If there is some money left over the AFLW will get it but the AFL must get their priorities right

You would have to be totally uninformed about the disproportionate costs involved to even contemplate framing it as a "men's team vs women's competition" issue.

For example, North Melbourne's AFLW program has brought in as much money through one of its sponsors as what it has spent on player payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back