List Mgmt. Could this be the greatest list management manoeuvre in VFL/AFL history?

Remove this Banner Ad

I love the look of Jordy De Goey,

But Gazza Ablett was simply playing in a different dimension. As a Pies man who lived in Geelong in the 1980s and early 90s it was almost every week I would be looking at either Ablett or Daicos.....

Gary Ablett senior simply did things that mere mortals never dreamed of. I dont think he 'thought' them, he just did them, in fact my guess is that a lot of the time he probably would not have been able to tell you why he did anything. Biologists and sports medicos can talk all they like about twitching muscles and strength and what not - but Gazza would jump over rucks, outsprint sprinters, and unload the bombs of all bombs. Defensive pressure was never really his thing, and the notion of it being a team game often went amiss. But the simple fact of the matter was that he could do things that very very very good 'ordinary' players could train for for a million years and simply never be able to do. Right from that first season in Geelong where he got selected for the Victorian team and decided to play against West Australia all by himself (the Vics got done but the only thing anyone remembers was Ablett providing a sighter of sheer other dimension), through the years when Sheedy used to play Tim Watson to tag him (and Watson was a seriously good footballer) to the days he would go off on a tangent and kick 14 or 15, or the day he simply decided to run past Shane Morwood and a couple of other Pies and unload a muddy ball from 50 out straight through the middle. He was simply playing a different game.

Ablett senior wasnt a thinker. He came into my workplace once asking for directions to a factory only two doors away, and required such intensive explanation my boss (a Kiwi who didnt know who he was) asked if he was all there. At one point he was working at the Grovedale pub and we went there to collect a keg one day, which took a bit of time to organise, and Ablett walked over to us three times in about 25 minutes to ask 'you fellas OK?' and get the same answer every time, as though he hadnt seen us beforehand. But he certainly wasnt malicious either and was memorably generous on occasion. I recall one day when he had his photo taken with some kids (on the way out of training at Kardinia park) and had to go in a hurry and some other kid burst into tears because he couldnt get his photo with Gazza too, Gazza came back and explained to the kid he had to go and promised him he would be there on the Thursday night and would do his photo then, and told him to make sure he had his cats gear nice and clean - he delivered on his promise.

To be honest I wouldnt want Jordy to become Gary Ablett senior. We want Jordy to become what he is becoming - a team focused, self aware disciplined and thinking footballer who knows what to do to help the team. We dont want an instinctive 'beast' who just does it without thinking about it, and becomes so noted for that 'it' that the game consumes him.

Easy to come to those conclusions if you weigh the decision on the player GA would become but at the same age there isn't that much difference, although GA had just started at the Cats. The telling thing will be how JDG develops going forward. I personally don't see JDG as anywhere near as good a mark at the same age and GA was spending a lot more time though the midfield in those early years at the Cats/Hawks.

https://www.footywire.com/afl/footy...2=10&type=A&pid1=4043&pid2=1095&fid1=O&fid2=O

North Melbourne and the 10 year rule, I think gives any list management manoeuvring a run for anyone’s money.

Medders had 1 really good year for us, so Crisp comfortably over Medders.
Medders made us a better side.
Probably made us a better club and certainly contributed to the side which won the 2010 flag.
Crispy is a fave but he aint Medders until he has a medal around his neck

Probably made us a better club and certainly contributed to the side which won the 2010 flag.
But Medders is Medders without a medal around his neck.

Also gave the best ANZAC medal acceptance speech I’ve ever heard.

What was that?
In the early 70s players of ten years service could swap clubs akin to free agents today.

North grabbed some amazing talent using the rule:

Doug Wade, John Rantall, Barry Davis.

The triumvirate all assisted Norths rise up the ladder and to ultimate premiership glory.

(The rule was deleted in 1973; North was the big winner.)

In the early 70s players of ten years service could swap clubs akin to free agents today.

North grabbed some amazing talent using the rule:

Doug Wade, John Rantall, Barry Davis.

The triumvirate all assisted Norths rise up the ladder and to ultimate premiership glory.

(The rule was deleted in 1973; North was the big winner.)

Ok I didn't know about that, I was still a twinkle then.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2014 - Dayne Beams tells Collingwood he wants to go to Brisbane. The Pies work out a trade with Brisbane:
  • Beams goes to Brisbane with pick 67.
  • Collingwood get Brisbane's first and second round draft picks and Jack Crisp.
  • Collingwood uses the first round pick to draft Jordan DeGoey. This allows them to also draft Darcy Moore with their now second first-round pick.
  • Collingwood trades the second round pick they received for Beams to North Melbourne for Levi Greenwood.
  • Collingwood uses their original second-round pick on drafting Brayden Maynard.
2019 - Collingwood have just lost a grand final by under a goal
  • DeGoey is quickly becoming a superstar and is being compared by some with Gary Ablett Snr.
  • Greenwood is one of the best "taggers" in the game, who regularly makes players like Dusty Martin and Dangerfield his bitches.
  • Jack "steak knives" Crisp has not missed a single game for Collingwood and is in their top 10 players.
  • Moore started off sensationally, had some injury setbacks, and now looks like becoming a very solid key-defender who would still swing forward if required.
  • Maynard has cemented his spot in Collingwood's backline.
  • Dayne Beams has returned to Collingwood is instantly probably in their top 5 players.
I can't remember everything that's happened in footy, but I don't know of a trade that's turned out this well in a long time, if ever.

Put it another way.

We got De Goey Greenwood and Crisp for a four year lease of Dayne Beams and a first round pick

this is Pies payback for the 2002 and 2003 finals losses to the Lions

DeGoey, Moore, Aish for 4 seasons of Beams lol

What if we had instead traded our 2018 first to Carlton for their 2019 first (like they did with Adelaide), played Sier in midfield and extended some contracts?

I feel like that would have been a better list management whatchamacallit.

The part up to where we traded Beams was making an enormous gain from unexpected necessity.

The part where we traded Beams back in was throwing those gains away again to pay way too much for an unexpected non-necessity for reasons largely of sentiment.

I think in 10 years time that will be the consensus.

Put it another way.

We got De Goey Greenwood and Crisp for a four year lease of Dayne Beams and a first round pick

2 first round picks.

Quaynor comes regardless and we could of used the pick on a different trade. IMO Beamsy as good as he is, is surplus to our needs and really didn't address any of our weakness' as well as being on the back end if his career at 29.

It was a costly deal especially should we have a poorer then expected year.

He's a pie now but that return deal is yet to fully mature to see how good or poor it was.

What if we had instead traded our 2018 first to Carlton for their 2019 first (like they did with Adelaide), played Sier in midfield and extended some contracts?

I feel like that would have been a better list management whatchamacallit.

and we'd still have our 2019 first in play.

The other option was to go for the 26 yo Dylan Sheil a burst mid, he would add to our 1 paced squad.

The first leg of the trade was an enormous win for us. The second leg remains to be seen.

I never felt like we needed Beams back... in fact, I never really missed him when he was gone. I remember when we played the Brions at the Gabba and he had a heap of the ball, but never made any territory with it. I remember thinking that we were better off without him, creating the space for Adams and Treloar.

We really should have pushed to address our key position needs last year.. its a big hole that could have an enormous impact on our chances in the next couple of years.

2 first round picks.

Quaynor comes regardless and we could of used the pick on a different trade. IMO Beamsy as good as he is, is surplus to our needs and really didn't address any of our weakness' as well as being on the back end if his career at 29.

It was a costly deal especially should we have a poorer then expected year.

He's a pie now but that return deal is yet to fully mature to see how good or poor it was.

We would have gone deep into deficit without using the first on Raymor

Yes, it's looking great, but who are the people comparing DeGoey to Gary Ablett Snr, and did they ever see Gary Ablett Snr play?
Maybe not but they're out there, best player I've ever seen so I'm not one of them making the comparison. I'm suggesting they're talking more about the player type than the boss-level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back