Analysis Could this be the year we get gutted?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumours abound Gil is moving on at seasons end and 3 senior coaches gone. Could this be the year that see’s us get gutted on fringe players, Benny, Caracella and maybe a couple of other coaches? Hope not, but, i doubt we will remain intact. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For some reason, it doesn't seem like opposition actually rate our players. Benefit of talking about our system so much. There never seems to be a lot of interest in our guys, at least from what I can tell. Hopefully we fly under the radar a bit. Caracella hasn't been in any discussions to coach either. Didn't he want to work from home some days so that he didn't have to move from Geelong? Doubt he'd particularly want a senior gig if he wasn't willing to commit to that (which is fine with me). As for Benny, the AFL can have him if he fixes the mess that Gil has made.

Mind you, I'd be much more worried about Blake and Fly if Clarkson or Longmire were getting poached. Minnow clubs like norf, Saints and Carlton don't have the proper administration to find the next premiership coach. Instead, they'll try to poach established coaches, or give a blank cheque to Roos. Clubs like Hawthorn though, I'd fully expect them to hunt people like Blake for a senior coaching gig.

Maybe.

Benny should be the CEO of the AFL. Not a hard bar to do better.

Our VFL team could lose a few.

And coaching staff. No idea to be honest.

Hopefully not gutted, but we'll have to adapt to some changes

I doubt that we'll get gutted. Strong culture and stability are compelling reasons for people to stay for fewer dollars than leave for the money. The North situation is weird though. Even head coaches now won't go there for the big bucks.

To be honest, given our track record lately I wouldn't mind an organic movement towards new blood that have been through this recent Richmond system anyway. Clarkson was never hesitant in releasing his assistants, and neither should we.
On top of it all, the return of Leppitich after his Brisbane stint underlines the attractive working culture at the club.
I'm fairly sure that we could attract recently retired Tigers like Newman back if it became absolutely necessary.

Re: off-field replacements, the club is in an enviable position that will be able to attract the cream of the crop. Staggered movement beyond Gale and Penny (who is in her final term) is an imperative for the next three years.

No need to fear, only a natural progression, with possibility of improvement. Look up!

From what I understand Caracalla doesn’t hold aspirations to be a senior coach, could be wrong.
Would be disappointed to lose Gale, but we face strong enough systems in place that we would continue rolling without him around and if he could fix the shambles the competition has become under he watch of Gil and sacked Hocking on day one and reversed his BS rule changes it would’ve be the end of the world.

Caracella has been in really strong organisations Collingwood, Cats and us it would surprise me if he went to Norf or Saints and Carlton well I think regardless of the list’s potential everyone knows how the last 6-7 coaches have been dealt with.
The development of the vfl players is really interesting quite a few thought we would be vulnerable trading out a few at the end of last year and we’ve needed everyone who was thereabouts and it’s made them more valuable.
I won’t mention who I’d trade here...
I hope we keep Clarke and Fly but wouldn’t be surprised if we lose em.
I’d like to see Gale as CEO of AFL

Hoping not, not heard anyone being discussed from us bar Brando out of Players or Coaches. Benny has openly said he's not interesting in the AFL role as there is still unfinished business at punt Rd with Our Flag window plus developments at punt Rd etc.

Hoping not, not heard anyone being discussed from us bar Brando out of Players or Coaches. Benny has openly said he's not interesting in the AFL role as there is still unfinished business at punt Rd with Our Flag window plus developments at punt Rd etc.
He did give a target of 3 flags.
Unfinished for sure.
Hope he stays from a selfish tiger pov.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hope we keep Clarke and Fly but wouldn’t be surprised if we lose em.

They are the two i'd hate to lose. The player development has been outstanding recently. The board is full of discussion about Chol, Soldo and Eggy, who all came from a loooong way back.

Gale, Caracella, Leppa - don't want to see them leave, but agree with the above, that would be natural progression and good luck to them.

I'd love to know what exactly he has done to turn around everyones opinion on him as a coach, Port haven't exactly dominated with him there
Good bloke beers with the sycophant commentators and you’re in

Our playing list could be gutted by choice based on Matt Clarke's comments. He rates the draft pool as deep with a clear top 2 and a pretty even 3-20. Also says that he has more players from this draft in his ratings than previous years.

I reckon we will go to the draft again and back our player development and trade / delist fringe players.

Could be 5 or 6 picks in the ND.

Big Benny going off to lead the AFL would be very good for the comp. Perhaps though the job doesn't suit him. He is honest and authentic, and loves the game too much. Either way we win.

I'd love to know what exactly he has done to turn around everyones opinion on him as a coach, Port haven't exactly dominated with him there
He is a mature version of the old Voss. Less emotional, more modest. But agree he has no identifiable coaching record to support becoming a head coach.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back