Up the Coasters Could we buy an away game to play in Alice Springs?

Remove this Banner Ad

Today’s thought bubble

Whilst some of us supporters were unhappy about having to play Melbourne in Alice Springs instead of the MCG, it struck me on the weekend just how well the club embraced it. The players, the indigenous boys especially, seemed to enjoy it and we had more than our fair share of support from the crowd

There’s no way we’d cough up a home game and we’ve had previous attempts to buy an additional game at home from an opponent blocked by the AFL but what if we tried that with a game to be played in Alice

There’s precedent with port playing an away game in China and there’s clubs like st Kilda, north and the bulldogs who could do with the cash. It’s not giving us a home ground advantage as such so the AFL would be a chance to sign off on it

Could be something for the club to build into a really special fixture
Great idea..would be a better option than travelling to Tasmania.
I went to the game and the crowd absolutely embraced the match being played there and we had the majority of support.
The oval was a bit patchy in spots but the surface was definitely acceptable for AFL and there is also plenty to do and see in Alice.
Would be better if there was a direct flight from Perth to Alice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree - that was confusing. Just because we have the most support it doesn't make us the home team. But if we win I'll accept losing the right to call the coin toss (and losing the coin toss) every time.
How many times do we play a melbourne minnow and i swear listening to the crowd noise and looking at the tv we have more supporters there

How many times do we play a melbourne minnow and i swear listening to the crowd noise and looking at the tv we have more supporters there

For sure, like when we played noted minnow - Collingwood.

That Eagles chant in the last quarter was 1st class arrogance.

Would prefer we play Melbourne in the Alice every year as their home game and play someone else at the G

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

+1

I toyed with the idea of making the trip to Alice for this game and after watching the telecast I'm definitely there next time.

A few things which stick out.

-Traeger park is a stunning location- old school bush ground with an awesome backdrop of the macdonnell ranges, it just looks amazing.

- when you see 7000 serious, passionate fans pack out a small ground like that you realise that is what AFL is all about and that is what the league has lost touch with its corporate boxes and grand final breakfast packages. First and foremost, football is supposed to be a for people who will show up and stand on the outer just for the sheer love of the game, and you can tell the community in Alice loves the game.

- if we're going to indigenous round, surely that is the place to do it. Loved how the crowd lifted a notch whenever an aboriginal player got near it, loved how the crowd absolutely engulfed them after the game, and love that Watson got to experience a debut in circumstances he will probably cherish forever

In summary, more Alice Springs thanks

Last edited:
Great idea..would be a better option than travelling to Tasmania.
I went to the game and the crowd absolutely embraced the match being played there and we had the majority of support.
The oval was a bit patchy in spots but the surface was definitely acceptable for AFL and there is also plenty to do and see in Alice.
Would be better if there was a direct flight from Perth to Alice.
Not a bad idea! An almost pleasant break. We certainly have the fan base. Was curious watching it, is the oval hard? You imagine grass on red rock!
And yes Dodger, it's the perfect neutral venue, centrally located, for the GF each year!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was at the game, great experience having a game like that at a decent little country ground with a stunning backdrop. Highly recommend anyone going down if we do get to play there again, Alice was better than I expected and if you tack on a tour of Uluru, Kata Tjuta and Kings Canyon afterwards your trip is bound to be a great one.

Wasn't happy with being shafted out of a potential MCG game but the club turned it into a massive positive.

As it transpired, the crowd at the MCG would have been awful anyway because of Melbourne's season, so overall I consider the Alice game as a win.

Plus we get to play the drinking game "Drink whenever the tree of knowledge is mentioned in commentary" every year :)

But really enjoyed the game and think this is a great idea. Would love to see more games there and always good growing Eagles fans.

The best way to pitch it is as a regular indigenous round game - come up with some catchy name like “indigenous heart” or something

That way the two clubs can build their indigenous jumper around not clashing with each other

From memory, the commentary team kept calling it the "Heart of the Nation Game", which I didn't mind.
Especially since we ripped the heart out of Melbourne in the 2018 PF :tearsofjoy:

From memory, the commentary team kept calling it the "Heart of the Nation Game", which I didn't mind.
Especially since we ripped the heart out of Melbourne in the 2018 PF :tearsofjoy:

Don’t mind that either

I’m sure some overpaid marketing spiv will come up with something

Just don’t use the guy that came up with QClash

Today’s thought bubble

Whilst some of us supporters were unhappy about having to play Melbourne in Alice Springs instead of the MCG, it struck me on the weekend just how well the club embraced it. The players, the indigenous boys especially, seemed to enjoy it and we had more than our fair share of support from the crowd

There’s no way we’d cough up a home game and we’ve had previous attempts to buy an additional game at home from an opponent blocked by the AFL but what if we tried that with a game to be played in Alice

There’s precedent with port playing an away game in China and there’s clubs like st Kilda, north and the bulldogs who could do with the cash. It’s not giving us a home ground advantage as such so the AFL would be a chance to sign off on it

Could be something for the club to build into a really special fixture

Seems like we are compromising on something that doesnt need compromising. Richmond play 16 games on their home ground for the year. Why the hell cant we play 12?

Why are you funnelling 3 mill into a club to be spent on absolute crap when we can give a club that money and turn a crowd of 8k into a crowd of 50k?

Its nonsensical that it needs discussion. If a club like GWS wants to take the 3 mill and prop up their books, then let them. Stop putting up invisible barriers because you dont want your feelings hurt

Remove this Banner Ad

Back