Could we have a two year season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
West Perth
I am surprised that no one has raised the possibility of having a full 2 round home and away fixture 34 rounds of 9 games played over the remainder of 2020 and finishes in 2021.
This could probably easily be achieved and Would be a one off situation caused by the Virus.
No premier in 2020 but a premier crowned in 2021 based of each side playing each other home and away over the 2 years.
I have not looked into the financial side of it but could this be done?
Thoughts

Not a bad idea - but how would player movements, retirements, drafts work etc.?

Brownlow? All Australian?
Brownlow and AA could be done at the end of the 34 round season you’d think.

player movement is a trickier one - my preference would be that all contracts would be deemed to count for a season, therefore no movement before the end of next year. All the draftees will be a season behind in their development anyway, depending on how long this goes in exams may be pushed back anyway - an extended draft at the conclusion of the season?

I’ve been thinking something similar. If we can’t get in a season where everyone plays each other once then this needs to considered.

Let’s say we can squeeze in 8 games this year then play 26 games next year. It’s a way to get something out of this year.

Are there any double-up games in the first 12 rounds of the current fixture? Play those rounds this year, then the rest of this year's fixture next season, + 12 extra rounds that are based on return matches not played in the current fixture.

Yes and we can finally see what an equal fixture looks like even if it is for only one season

I'm not a fan of the idea. If we have less than 10 completed rounds this year, which is highly probable, I would just write the season off. If we're able to complete a minimum of 10 rounds, I think the AFL should consider cutting the season short(er) and having a makeshift finals series.

There are too many variables that change between regular seasons for it to be a worthwhile idea.

That will give Gil an easy way to lock in 16 minute quarters for next year too, no thanks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am surprised that no one has raised the possibility of having a full 2 round home and away fixture 34 rounds of 9 games played over the remainder of 2020 and finishes in 2021.
This could probably easily be achieved and Would be a one off situation caused by the Virus.
No premier in 2020 but a premier crowned in 2021 based of each side playing each other home and away over the 2 years.
Thoughts

Yeah nah

Reduce teams and play shorter quarters.

Something like soccer's 90 minutes.

Depending on how many teams we can be rid of we can play more games per year.
Like 16 teams and still play 30 games plus finals

Thoughts

probably the best idea

not only good for the season, provides great learnings from an even based competition and shifts away from the mentality a season must be 22 rounds

If it came to the point, that the season doesn't restart till say October (which is a possibility), then I'd rather watch some footy than no footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back