Opinion Could we learn from Richmond?

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe we should hire a coach that knows what he’s doing instead of pretending Buckley will turn out to be the next Hardwick

Hardwick ran a similar show before the infamous review and board challenge where some home truths were given to him that the players thought he was unlikable and too restrictive.

Did a personality and footy philosophy 180.

Think Bucks also did but it only lasted 12 months. 2018.

Hardwick ran a similar show before the infamous review and board challenge where some home truths were given to him that the players thought he was unlikable and too restrictive.

Did a personality and footy philosophy 180.

Think Bucks also did but it only lasted 12 months. 2018.
I think Buckleys personality, attitude and general way he interacts with the group has changed since 2018 and continues to be that way.

I have had varying thoughts over Buckley, should he be the head coach, if not what are the alternatives, etc?

My take, is that a Head Coach is similar to that of a high level senior manager in the corporate world. They're probably not going to get their hands dirty and do too much 'work' but their leadership and man-management is what makes a good leader - great.

How does this translate to Collingwood? Bucks has shown that he has the playing group on board, after a massive turn around in 2018 which was signaled to him growing a beard. The players got around him, we had a supporting cast of coaches that were highly skilled and operating well.

Our biggest problem at the moment is that management of our Assistant coaches;
1. We can't retain talent (Longmuir, Boyd) and we cant get rid of those that have become stale (Harvey).
2. Buckley is good friends with at least one of the assistants, outside of football (Sanderson). Referring back to the corporate analogy, can a senior manager get the best out of their direct reports & have the hard conversations, when they're close?

People are quick to bask 'the game plan' and put this on Buckley - and it should be, hes the head of the playing group. However its not his 'game plan', its the culmination of those around him, his assistants and to an extent his senior players who create it.

How can Collingwood get better - in my eyes, it's a massive clean out of assistant coaches.

Hardwick has been coach at Richmond for over seven years. He has a losing record and has never won a final. Despite this the Richmond FC has stuck by him, and now, with a focus on enjoying their footy, Richmond have made a perfect start to the season. Are there lessons here for our club?
Should we stick with Buckley?
Should we concentrate more on fast ball movement?
Should we encourage our players to just enjoy their footy?

Is it just a fluke that Richmond are winning?

3/4 = not a fluke

Yes, it's funny, but be careful not to gloat because you are one Dustin Martin injury away from disaster. He hasn't had a major injury for years and he is well and truly due. And if you think you can win another flag without him then you need to rethink that
Like we couldn't win a flag without Rance?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why isn't this only a Collingwood poster thread.

The dickheads over on the Richmond board do that.
It’s strange why they bother to post here.

Maybe the question of the thread should be renamed.

'Could Collingwood actually learn anything or are we destined to keep repeating the same s**t and expecting different results'

That seems more apt for the now, hopefully the club will 'learn' from the debacle that has been the last 10 years with the signs given by Ed & Walsh going.

Maybe just maybe, the club has finally had the epiphany from the pineapple in the ass that it so desperately needed. Fcuk I hope so!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back