Could we see a super league start for australian footy?

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
I'm not talking rugby league/world series cricket style, but rather similar to the Indian premier league soccer.
There's quite a few clubs at state level that are fed up with the way the AFL has treated them, so could we see them break away and form their own national league, filled with mainly the "coulda been" 22+ yr olds, with a smattering of older types who've retired?

GWBogan

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 7, 2011
Daily's Place
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
AEW, Jacksonville Jaguars, Fulham
tenor.gif

Would be awesome. Much preferred.

Involve, Eagles, Freo, Crows,Power, Sydney, Giants, Brisbane, Cats, Pies, Richmond.

Fancy that.

10 Teams, play each other twice. A Final 5 system in place.

No salary cap in place. No draft.

Rest of the Clubs can be feeder teams.

Welcome to Thunderdome.

Involve, Eagles, Freo, Crows,Power, Sydney, Giants, Brisbane, Cats, Pies, Richmond.

Fancy that.

Welcome to Thunderdome.

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast

Fancy that.

Welcome to Thunderdome.
I'd throw in a Tassie team, 20 games each, plus a bye or two.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm not talking rugby league/world series cricket style, but rather similar to the Indian premier league soccer.
There's quite a few clubs at state level that are fed up with the way the AFL has treated them, so could we see them break away and form their own national league, filled with mainly the "coulda been" 22+ yr olds, with a smattering of older types who've retired?
So you mean do what they're already doing now?

bye

Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood

Fancy that.

Welcome to Thunderdome.
How about, Eagles, Power, Swans, Lions, Tigers, Darwin, Canberra, Hobart.

Still awesome?

I'd throw in a Tassie team, 20 games each, plus a bye or two.

Can you imagine how elite and professional the competition would truly be?

The talent all around the ground would be awesome.

I forgot to mention also, Home ground advantage means finals and yes grand finals are played on your home ground.

So if the Cats were there, the Grand Final is played in Geelong. Absolutely fair. No one would complain or disagree.

I'd prefer to see the state that invented the game have its own competition. 12 teams, play each other twice, home and away.

Good players from lesser stats can come and play in that comp.

How about, Eagles, Power, Swans, Lions, Tigers, Darwin, Canberra, Hobart.

Still awesome?

Not sure Darwin could sustain a team just yet. Canberra would be good in 5-10 years. Both these cities might be.

Football states with a decent population can comfortably sustain 2 Clubs, So Crows would be there.

I'd prefer to see the state that invented the game have its own competition. 12 teams, play each other twice, home and away.

Good players from lesser stats can come and play in that comp.

You can and that would be awesome for the rest of the Victorian teams, having the VFL in the background to the Super League.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
We could.

If the AFL didn't own/control pretty much every valuable asset the sport has.

It would be need to be like WSC with new entities, different grounds, rebel signings etc. and would fail. WC, Collingwood, Adelaide etc couldn't just resign from the AFL and join a new comp because the AFL owns their IP.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
Young players not good enough for the top level and older players well past their prime? How could that not be a huge success? I'm on-board the hype train.

Awwwww, you wouldn't like it so much it the Crows didn't get in?

I would hope the Crows got in would be an awesome competition.

Teams from NT, Tassie and Canberra would make the game truly national.

I am confident that is how it will be one day, whether it is 25 years from now or 50 years from now, the number of teams in Victoria will diminish over time.

History suggests this will be the case. Look at the teams in the various WAFL, SANFL and VFL in the initial period and look at the ones that folded. There is enough evidence to suggest that it will happen.

About 25 years ago there was a team Fitzroy in the AFL.

Back