Council asks Hawks to remove pokies

Bunk Moreland

Hall of Famer
Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/monash-council-staunch-in-push-for-hawks-to-ditch-pokies-despite-letter-from-jeff-kennett/news-story/a861efc37d32af893a9827cd8081c513?login=1

The local council which presides over the home of the Hawthorn Football Club has taken the extraordinary step of asking the AFL club to remove its poker machines from the neighbourhood.

Monash Council is staying strong in its push to ditch pokies across the area despite being rebuked by Hawthorn president and former Victorian Premier Jeff Kennett.

Monash Mayor Paul Klisaris sent a letter to Mr Kennett on behalf of council, calling on the club to walk away from relying on pokies revenue.

Hawks properties recorded $23.29 million in pokies losses for 2016-17, with $10.86 million coming from Mulgrave club Vegas at Waverley Gardens.

In his reply to Mr Klisaris, Mr Kennett labelled the contents of the letter “extraordinary”.

He wrote that gaming machines were legal, most of the community did not use them, but that many who did were “older citizens who attend gaming venues, play the lowest denominator machines, not to make or lose money, but to go somewhere during the day for company”.

Monash is the sixth-highest local government area in Victoria for pokies losses, with $109 million lost in the 2016-17 financial year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IKnowtheDog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
free up more of that land for sweet sweet land development without adding further amenities for the community.

Bostonian

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I wonder if Monash will provide free parking every where in it's boundaries so that they aren't seen to be revenue raising and preying on peoples needs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BoxMatrix

Premium Platinum
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers, Deontay Wilder
I'm sure that Monash will be pushing to remove all bars and pubs since alcohol is far worse for society?

The 747

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Not a fan of pokies but the local government, really? Lobby the state government if you want the law changed, not the Hawks who are within their legal rights as a not for profit to bleed money out of the most vulnerable people.

Cager Macleod

Gotta go ta BENDIGO to get me CUBE
Jul 19, 2010
Werribee
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Seahawks, Anahiem Ducks, T-wolves
I actually don't mind the pokies. I might chuck 50 dollars in them once in a blue moon, I have fun playing out the 50, if I win I take my winnings and leave and if I lose I leave.
But I understand how gambling ruins people's lives and 100 percent believe there needs to be more ways to help people with gambling addiction.
However I don't think the council's should be able to tell Hawthorn what they can and can't own.

Top Bottom