CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
People who don't like it are only aware of the awful Nashville based s**t that is pumped into the mainstream. There are some unbelievable Alt Country artists out there - and the Superstars of County like Cash, Parton, Glen Campbell, Hank Williams (and Hank Williams III), Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson somehow retain (or retained) credibility even when they are HUGE

Imagined you tastes ta be more refined . . .

Jul 12, 2008
Vic
AFL Club
Carlton
not at all into country, but i do have a soft spot for slim whitman, thanks to my dad playing it when i was a kid. in my very limited expertise i find it fairly vanilla, and the stereotypes not turned up to 10, definite folk touches.

Anyone with a taste for country influenced music should get their hands on a copy of the self-titled Immigrant Union debut and get along and see them live, sublime stuff.

Also, country music had a massive influence on some of the classic Rolling Stones albums, Some Girls and Exile on Main Street in particular.

Another contemporary country artist who is magnificent in Justin Townes Earle - fantastic songwriter and performer (shits all over his old man).

As already mentioned some of the most talented people on earth graced the country music landscape.
I love all types of music but I get a giggle when so called talent is wheeled out today,yet in another time there were artists who just toured and played for the sheer love of it and we're so good that many today aren't fit to carry their bags.

Take Anita Carter for example. I could listen to,(and look at!) her all day every day.She was an unbelievable talent,as was the whole Carter family in an era where talented country artists were abundant.

Not many would know her yet she could have ruled the world had she chose to.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
I have probably been listening to more Kris Kristofferson than anybody else lately.

I listed his Kristofferson album in the best debut albums of all time recently.

He is up there with my favourite artists of all time. I watched a concert recently where he appeared at AVO in Switzerland, I Think ? His voice has lost most of it's strength now and after about 5 songs, he joked "I hope you can understand the words cos if you don't there aint much to like" ! Quality self deprecating humour.

He won a Rhodes scholarship, flew helicopters in the US Forces and taught literacy at the famed West Point Academy but threw it in to write songs. He struggled to make it big and was sweeping floors at Columbia Studios where he met Johnny Cash.

He has written some of the greatest songs ever written. Willie Nelson, who is one of the greatest songwriters ever released an album of Kristofferson's songs.

He has always been outspoken about political issues and publicly supported Sinead O Connor after her Pope tearing episode. A song about her is on one of his recent albums. He just wrote a song about a writer that was killed in Iraq during an air strike by US air planes.

The guy is simply such a legend that my words can not come close to doing him justice.

I have probably been listening to more Kris Kristofferson than anybody else lately.

He is up there with my favourite artists of all time. I watched a concert recently where he appeared at AVO in Switzerland, I Think ? His voice has lost most of it's strength now and after about 5 songs, he joked "I hope you can understand the words cos if you don't there aint much to like" ! Quality self deprecating humour.

He won a Rhodes scholarship, flew helicopters in the US Forces and taught literacy at the famed West Point Academy but threw it in to write songs. He struggled to make it big and was sweeping floors at Columbia Studios where he met Johnny Cash.

He has written some of the greatest songs ever written. Willie Nelson, who is one of the greatest songwriters ever released an album of Kristofferson's songs.

He has always been outspoken about political issues and publicly supported Sinead O Connor after her Pope tearing episode. A song about her is on one of his recent albums. He just wrote a song about a writer that was killed in Iraq during an air strike by US air planes.

The guy is simply such a legend that my words can not come close to doing him justice.
I agree Jim. It's so funny that you posted this as after I posted a few posts ago re-Anita Carter I have had "Loving him was easy" stuck in my head.
A great Kristofferson song done the absolute justice it deserves by the beautiful Anita Carter.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
People who don't like it are only aware of the awful Nashville based s**t that is pumped into the mainstream. There are some unbelievable Alt Country artists out there - and the Superstars of County like Cash, Parton, Glen Campbell, Hank Williams (and Hank Williams III), Waylon Jennings, Willie Nelson somehow retain (or retained) credibility even when they are HUGE
100% agree.

Here's a couple of tunes by Melbourne's Immigrant Union I thought I'd share - psychedelic stoner country... one of my favourite local bands going around at the moment (of any genre)

Absolute modern day renaissance man. I am totally in awe of him.

Sunday Morning Coming Down is simply one of the greatest songs ever.

Can't believe no one has mentioned Gram Parsons. Inventor of Cosmic American Music, arguably the man who introduced country music to main stream rock music, he discovered Emmylou Harris, shared a bed with Keith Richards and had one of the most heartbreakingly beautiful voices.

avishka5

150 game legend.
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Zombie Lover
Sep 1, 2014
Perth SOR
AFL Club
West Coast

Bump:
I've got into country music recently. Must admit that he's a brilliant song writer but im not the biggest fan of his voice. Like billy joe shaver (another song writer I rate), I prefer others sing his songs.

Maybe it's the fact that Nelson, Cash and Jennings have really been my intro country music and I love the latter two's voice. Mind you I'm in my 20's gotta a lot more to discover in this genre.

JimDocker

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 16, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Doncaster Rovers, Boston Celtics
Bump:
I've got into country music recently. Must admit that he's a brilliant song writer but im not the biggest fan of his voice. Like billy joe shaver (another song writer I rate), I prefer others sing his songs.

Maybe it's the fact that Nelson, Cash and Jennings have really been my intro country music and I love the latter two's voice. Mind you I'm in my 20's gotta a lot more to discover in this genre.

He has said himself that he has never written a song that hasn't been sung better by somebody else. He considers himself a songwriter, not a singer.

Last edited:

Magus

Cancelled
10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Mavericks
Back