Family & Relationships Cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 - Orazio Fantasia, Anthony McDonald Tipungwuti, Shaun McKernan Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns
I have 27 cousins. Growing up I would see most of them on a regular basis, and some of them I would say I was quite close to. Now I've pretty much lost contact with them all, apart from a few that are Facebook friends. This is partly due to the fact that I live in a different state these days but I suspect it would be the same even if I didn't.

Is anyone still close to cousins you grew up with?

I have 27 cousins. Growing up I would see most of them on a regular basis, and some of them I would say I was quite close to. Now I've pretty much lost contact with them all, apart from a few that are Facebook friends. This is partly due to the fact that I live in a different state these days but I suspect it would be the same even if I didn't.

Really don't see any of my cousins in my 30s despite regularly visiting them during school holidays as a youngster.

Have 16 cousins, 8 on either side of the family. One side we only ever saw at Christmas and occasionally during the year. Still only see them at Christmas or weddings etc.

Other side, we saw a lot growing up - weekly, holidays, birthdays, Christmas, chirstmas holidays etc. Still catch up a few times during the year and spend a couple a weeks away with 2 of them and their families over Christmas. We were a lot closer this side of the family compared to the other side.

I thought this was going to be about Ben.

On cousins, I'm similar to you, saw plenty of them when I was young, even went on holidays with them. Once I reached 14 or 15 I had my own group of friends so hardly ever saw them. Since my early 20s I would have seen them no more than half a dozen times in the ensuing 40 years and they were random chance meetings. Just did a count, I have 7 1st cousins all around my age, couldn't be bothered counting the more distant ones.

Comes down to your parents relationship with their siblings and your relationsip with your parents later in lfe I reckon. My mum was close with her siblings (also lived quite close) while my dad wasn't too close with his siblings (get on ok, but just not overly close and closest one lives an hr away while others are 2hrs or interstate). Hence we saw a lot of my mums side and not much of my dads side of the family.

Then as we got older, we still got on well with our folks and were happy to spend time at our auntys/uncles for family catchups etc. But the Christmas holidays was probably the one that kept us close on our mums side. Been happening for 40 years, numbers have dropped slightly but still catch up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I only have 10 firsts and about half a dozen seconds. Not particularly close to any of them, haven't seen some of them in years. Most are in the weddings and funerals set.

Growing up the closest (geographically) lived about 30-40 minutes drive away. Always found it odd that some kids at school had their cousins going to our school also and would hang out after school and on the weekends etc. I would see a lot of more of my own school friends and the kids of friends of family who lived closer.

Both of my parents are eldest siblings, and I only have 2 aunties and 1 uncle. So I didn't have any cousins until I was 11, and even now I only have 5. Met my 2 Australian cousins for the first time earlier this year but yet to meet my English cousins.

Also, a random fact, but I have 3 siblings and 5 cousins and every one of them is a girl, and also younger than me.

Zero first cousins for me, unfortunately. 3 aunties and an uncle has dealt out zero kids. Had a few close second cousins growing up (kids of first cousins, once removed), none that I'm particularly close with now.

Have "hundreds" used to see them regularly as a kid, havent seen the handful I still see for years
Still send Xmas cards and catchup if I go to Melb, havent been for 3 or 4 years now.
Could say the same about family too theyre all in Melb too

I dont FB or phone much ,send a few SMSs to my Brother and Sister and a few cousins

Remove this Banner Ad

Back