Cover songs that are better than the original

Remove this Banner Ad

OK, I promise. My last Angelina post on BF. :) She was 10 years old here and her version, if not better than the original, is certainly damn close to it. Just hope the girl hasn't already peaked by the age of 12-13. Some of her later work has been a little underwhelming.
OOPS! Edit. Forgot the original.

Last edited:
Bit of an obscure one listening to this Smokescreen's mini LP of catchy guitar pop, noticed the cover of the Scrotum Poles - Pick The Cats Eyes Out (which is on of those Messthetics compilations of DIY UK groups that spawned after the arrival of punk)

"Yekermo Sew".

Here's another one where I like both versions but the cover is in a different style from the original.

The original from the late 1960's is hypnotic mix of jazz/soul by a composer from Ethiopia called Mulatu Astatke. (There's also an updated version of this recorded by the composer with the group Heliocentrics).

The cover is from sometime early in the last decade - a rock instrumental group who started playing in high school - three lads from Ankara, Turkey called Hayvanlar Alemi. I have a couple of their records, they're a bit bash and crash playing eastern melodies with psych and surf rock sounds (although I think a lot of the original surf music groups dabbled in that middle eastern sound eg: Dick Dale's version of Miserlou. Also have read that the British group - The Shadows were the first band to break through and influence the early rock and roll music made in Turkey - so prob a 2-way street). Hayvanlar Alemi also have an album, the one I don't have, that is purely dub rock/reggae - it includes a cover of an Eek A Mouse tune.

Should also point out that its probably not a coincidence that the original version has a brassy arrangement similar to the one in this Horace Silver Quintet recording "Song For My Father" (circa approx 1960)

Last edited:

I don't know if this really counts given the cover was a live performance but The Killers (Brandon Flowers) performed IMO the best cover of the song "Fame" by no other but David Bowie himself a couple of years ago on the Live Lounge on the BBC Radio 1 VEVO YouTube channel that I totally forgot existed until now while searching on the interent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the glenn danzig version shits all over elivis presleys original

The irony with this is, aside from a few tracks he sang in his movies which were written specifically for him, Elvis never sang an original anything...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back