CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
I love Otis, but his version of Satisfaction is garbage.
When I think of Otis and cover versions, ?I always think how Aretha Franklin took Respect which was a pretty average Otis song and turned it into a masterpiece. I also think of Michael Bolton ruining Dock of the Bay :eek:
Each to their own, I love the addition of the horn section and the increased tempo, not to mention Otis' superior delivery. I do however agree with your take on R-E-S-P-E-C-T

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quokka

Premiership Player
Apr 10, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
There's been about a billion covers too many of Hallelujah, especially when Jeff Buckley's is near perfect.

Gotta love Joe Cocker singing With a Little Help From My Friends live at Woodstock, the guy looks so trashed that he can barely stand up and then every time he flops up to the mic he just nails the vocals.

Favourite song off Hugh Laurie's first album had him on piano and Dr John doing the vocals.

Damon_3388

Hall of Famer
Jun 23, 2008
Headed for Kirribilli House
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Norwood, Everton, Detroit Red Wings

And the original, for comparison...

I wish The Mozfather would re-record this, as he's more partial to muscular musical arrangements than he was at the time he recorded the rather tame original in 1994. The Killers just add a sense of menace and so much more depth to a great lyric with their version.

skilts

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 14, 2002
South-West Gippsland
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Lexton, Northcote Park
Gotta love Joe Cocker singing With a Little Help From My Friends live at Woodstock, the guy looks so trashed that he can barely stand up and then every time he flops up to the mic he just nails the vocals.
I had the privilege of seeing Cocker perform at Festering Hole in 1972, the night after he was busted for drugs in Adelaide. Understandably, the man was a complete shambles. He proceeded to drink a whole bottle of whiskey on stage, between a couple of desultory songs, and then he just sort of wandered off. The splendid, mostly black, women who were his backing singers then performed on their own, for about forty minutes. The feeling among the audience was that Cocker had topped himself offstage.

He then reappeared, and gave a flawless, impassioned, incredibly moving performance of utter magnificence. He lifted the roof off the auditorium for another hour and a half, and absolutely slayed 'em. To this day, I've never seen anything like it. If a **** who managed bands could have bottled this performance, it would have been done. Bad luck for them. There was only one Joe Cocker. An Australian newspaper of which most would know little, The Nation Review, nominated Joe at the time as, "the artist most likely to be found dead in a motel room as a result of an overdose of drugs". What a man to have survived.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top Bottom