Covers that are better than the original

Remove this Banner Ad

Purely personal opinion but a couple of covers I think are better than the originals would be;

Hammock's version of Catherine Wheel's "Black Metallic" (I like both versions but I think the song sounds better with a female vocalist).

And I think Tricky's effort surpasses Public Enemy's orginal version of "Black Black Steel In The Hour Of Chaos".

The original "My Babe" written by Willie Dixon (is he the most covered songwriter ever?) for Little Walter's a terrific song. has been covered by sh!tloads of artists but my fave versions are:

Mitty Collier gives it a northern soul spin

Mississippi Fred, in his inimitable style

And the fuzz-drenched glory of The Uniques

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I typically find that acoustic covers are often far, far, far worse than the original. Nothing worse than some whining hippy/hipster taking all the life out of a great song by getting out the ol' acoustic gee-tar.

This is how it's done, whiteboys

I love Otis, but his version of Satisfaction is garbage.
When I think of Otis and cover versions, ?I always think how Aretha Franklin took Respect which was a pretty average Otis song and turned it into a masterpiece. I also think of Michael Bolton ruining Dock of the Bay :eek:

Anyone seen the Rock of Ages broadway show (not the Tom Cruise movie)?

Quite a lot of their covers are much better than the original songs. For example I prefer "Waiting For A Girl Like You" to be sung as a duet in which the broadway shows does than the original by Foreigner.

If you're a big fan of 80s rock, I suggest you download the broadway album.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back