Covers that are better than the original ...

Remove this Banner Ad

[youtube]g1btaZ1bxlQ[/youtube]

Nice one, Tef.

Randomly moving on...

Here's a couple of highly decent covers of the same (Prince) track.

Love the guitar tone on this.

[youtube]ot5badwAYu8[/youtube]

More Eric Bachmann gold.

[youtube]1AYmzvSQ838[/youtube]

And the brilliant original.

(Ha. Gotta love that screen shot.)

[youtube]vndmVlx9pI0[/youtube]

Was listening to this today.

Doesn't better the almost-impossible-to-top New Order original, but this Iron & Wine cover of "Love Vigilantes" is pretty damn cool.

[youtube]ugx0zC3Otwk[/youtube]

Was listening to this today.

Doesn't better the almost-impossible-to-top New Order original, but this Iron & Wine cover of "Love Vigilantes" is pretty damn cool.

Nice, never really got in to New Order (except my 12" copy of Blue Monday), might have to revisit!

OK, different tack here.

This is categorically the WORST COVER EVER. Unsurprisingly, it is from the loathsome, nauseating Avril Lavigne (she butchers SOAD's Chop Suey). If you're one of the few that doesn't already hate her, this will get you on board.

[YOUTUBE]aU5-pGKP0LE[/YOUTUBE]

Nice, never really got in to New Order (except my 12" copy of Blue Monday), might have to revisit!

Big New Order fan, so you won't get an objective call from me, Baz.

Sam Beam (or "Iron & Wine" as he likes to call himself....for reasons best known to him) does a good cover. The man certainly has a sublime voice.

Did this superb cover of The Postal Service's "Such Great Heights" a while back, that turned up on the soundtrack to Garden State.

[youtube]EKGHkBComjM[/youtube]

Continuing the theme, here's a quality cover of The Postal Service's "We Will Become Silhouettes" by The Shins.

[youtube]0HECF_RHAYo[/youtube]

Sonata Arctica - Wind Beneath My Wings

Yeah, Nah - this is THE definitive version of this song by our own Colleen Hewitt.

Not bad.

[youtube]Tk3vjYQbs38[/youtube]

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brings back some nice memories....

Nice, much as I like SFK and Dempsey, I think I prefer the original though.

Same could be said for this offering...

Social D do the Stones..

There have been a few Springsteen covers featured in this thread but I reckon this version of Racing in the Streets by Justin Townes Earle measures up pretty well. And I'm thrilled that JTE will be back in Australia next year and playing Boogie festival over Easter.

I've opted for the studio version - there are some pretty fine live versions out there too.

[YOUTUBE]O3Ugsx6MCbI[/YOUTUBE]

Dylan's Down in the Flood by the Derek Trucks Band.

Another great Dylan song given a new life.

If you like slide guitar you'll probably like the way Derek plays and the guitars he uses.

[youtube]ZvEaqRqebzI[/youtube]

X doing my favourite cover version ever - John Lennon's Mother (also my favourite John Lennon song). This was always a show stopper when X played.

[YOUTUBE]a7nFcPrIVek[/YOUTUBE]

Good stuff, BS.

What a tragedy that a ****wit with a firearm has deprived us of 30 years worth of John Lennon gems.

Like this, written and recorded during his separation from Yoko period (oh the torture!):

[youtube]OYLdmi_U99w[/youtube]

Now this is different.

[youtube]A-9UroO7G_o[/youtube]

Melbourne's extremely talented Wagons filmed in Philadelphia covering Three Dog Night via Elvis - Never Been to Spain

[YOUTUBE]Tx-jxgLilkE[/YOUTUBE]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back