Covers

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Are these covers, very good? Perhaps you youngn's could also mention the original artists for those of us that haven't looked at a Billboard top 100 since Elton John's days, thanks.
Haha sorry!

That's from The Drones, Australian Rockers from 2000-10s

Original is a completely different style

Haha sorry!

That's from The Drones, Australian Rockers from 2000-10s

Original is a completely different style

Different style - geez, he sings like he has a large crooked object stuck up where the sun don't shine - did this actually chart? Missy what's-her-name's version is far superior..!

Different style - geez, he sings like he has a large crooked object stuck up where the sun don't shine - did this actually chart? Missy what's-her-name's version is far superior...
Yeah they're pretty raw, high on distortion. Beautifully ragged if that makes sense. Not for everyone. More an underground band than one who ever charted.

I like Higgins' cover because it highlights the quality of the songwriting/lyrics that aren't perhaps as obvious when it's being screamed/thrashed

Song: Evil Ways.

Written by Clarence "Sonny" Henry

Released first by jazz percussionist Willie Bobo in 1967:

In 1969 was a hit for Santana. Was performed in his Woodstock set

Classic track and at least Santana's recording company paid for the publishing rights to record this - unlike 'Black Magic Women' which cost SME/Columbia a small fortune in a class action suit, as although they had permission to perform a cover of Peter Green's/Fleetwood Mac's original live, they didn't have any related agreement with the UK publishing owners of BMW to commercially record it...!!!

Last edited:
While most know Elvis's catalogue was ALL covers, exceptions mainly include his movie songs specifically written for him, a few of his covers were occasionally not better (in my view) than the originals. Discounting Elvis being Elvis on stage, here is one such example.

Tony Joe White:

Elvis:

Joe Cockers version of a Beatles happy ballad which he re-produced to become a modern rock anthem is easily in my 10 covers of all time!

And aside from the fact Cocker always sought the best musicians and back-up singers available for his live shows, if someone can find me a better produced live performance from 1980, yes this was 1980, then please share it.

I was lucky enough to see Cocker live about 7/8 years later and while it was a memorable concert, I do not recall such an epic soulful version as this - put the earphones in or headphones on, crank up the volume and enjoy...

Great performance but this is from his 1997 tour, I took my mum to the gig for her birthday - he was touring the Across From Midnight album.

Different style - geez, he sings like he has a large crooked object stuck up where the sun don't shine - did this actually chart? Missy what's-her-name's version is far superior..!
Nah, no way!
The original is one of the greatest Aussie songs of all time! (In my humble opinion)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great performance but this is from his 1997 tour, I took my mum to the gig for her birthday - he was touring the Across From Midnight album.

I thought so too, given he looks much older in this clip than he did when I saw him live in 1988 - but this from the clips YouTube description..?:

Eagle Vision continues our new programme of releases from the archives of the German WDR TV series Rockpalast with this classic concert from Joe Cocker. The show was filmed at the Metropol in Berlin on October 31st 1980 with Cocker in fine voice on a strong set with many of his most famous tracks including "Delta Lady", "Cry Me A River", "The Letter", "You Are So Beautiful" and his definitive take on the Lennon & McCartney classic "With A Little Help From My Friends". Also included are some rarer tracks including his versions of "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" and "I Heard It Through The Grapevine".

I thought so too, given he looks much older in this clip than he did when I saw him live in 1988 - but this from the clips YouTube description..?:

Eagle Vision continues our new programme of releases from the archives of the German WDR TV series Rockpalast with this classic concert from Joe Cocker. The show was filmed at the Metropol in Berlin on October 31st 1980 with Cocker in fine voice on a strong set with many of his most famous tracks including "Delta Lady", "Cry Me A River", "The Letter", "You Are So Beautiful" and his definitive take on the Lennon & McCartney classic "With A Little Help From My Friends". Also included are some rarer tracks including his versions of "A Whiter Shade Of Pale" and "I Heard It Through The Grapevine".

Yeah I saw that, it’s an error for sure. I’ve actually got this DVD, it’s a great gig from start to finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bit more grit and emotion gained in this young woman's voice and she could be one to watch if she get's a chance. Lovely arrangement too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back