Covers

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Dempsey is a freak. The Under Pressure cover is ******* amazing. Also there’s a clip somewhere of him singing If It Makes You Happy just before he goes onstage for the live performance of it in that OP video.

its even better
FIND IT FOR ME AND SHARE IT.

That cover is immense.

Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
As a try hard cover singer at dingy pubs my homework is basically trawling YouTube for this sort of thing to see if I can have a crack at it. Dempsey is a gold mine
Yeah I love a good cover.

Another good way to find them is to type the song you want in Spotify and see if there are covers. Have found some rippers like that.

This is also very good

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Joe Cockers version of a Beatles happy ballad which he re-produced to become a modern rock anthem is easily in my top 10 covers of all time!

And aside from the fact Cocker always sought the best musicians and back-up singers available for his live shows, if someone can find me a better produced live performance from 1980, yes this was 1980, then please share it.

I was lucky enough to see Cocker live about 7/8 years later and while it was a memorable concert, I do not recall such an epic soulful version as this - put the earphones in or headphones on, crank up the volume and enjoy...

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Joe Cockers version of a Beatles happy ballad which he re-produced to become a modern rock anthem is easily in my 10 covers of all time!

And aside from the fact Cocker always sought the best musicians and back-up singers available for his live shows, if someone can find me a better produced live performance from 1980, yes this was 1980, then please share it.

I was lucky enough to see Cocker live about 7/8 years later and while it was a memorable concert, I do not recall such an epic soulful version as this - put the earphones in or headphones on, crank up the volume and enjoy...

Yeah love this one.

The organ is sensational.

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
When Otis Redding wrote and recorded 'Respect' in 1965 it was also covered live by a few artists but wasn't exactly a hit. Then Aretha Franklin heard the song a while later and asked Redding if she could record her version of it. He agreed and Aretha's recording company bought the sole publishing rights/ownership of the song.

Aretha then changed the theme of the song, as Redding's original was about 'a man seeking respect', so she and her sisters Erma and Carolyn changed a few subtle lyrics and made some other additions to flip the song into 'a women seeking respect'.
After it was recorded it was a huge hit and soon unexpectedly became a theme for early women's rights movement at the time and of course this is the version we all know today.
FYI, Aretha's biopic movie, which has just been released, suggests the sisters wrote the song from scratch, which is obviously total BS.
Also FYI, Erma Franklin was the original recording artist of a song made famous by Janis Joplin called Piece of My Heart.

Now given Respect was/is considered Aretha's, how about a cover she performed regularly of a very famous song. This is her majestic soul version of a Bridge Over Troubled Water she first recorded in 1971, and yes that's her playing piano on the track too...

Last edited:
Back