Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
wasn't there a thread about covers before? I think I posted this on that one but not sure, but worth another listen ;)

this guys is fun

basically I could just post The Commitments soundtrack. :)
this is my favorite track on it, but I like this take on it.

This one doesn’t veer much from the original, more just shows respect from one legendary band to another legendary artist.
I’m guessing Thom can relate to the lyrics. Both Thom and Neil seem to have the same feeling about fame and it’s associated bullshit.
Great ******* song!

Last edited:

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Wendy Mae Chambers - New York, New York (there used to be a clip of her preforming this on the Jay Leno Show with the car horn organ)

Last edited:

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Mildly interesting acoustic cover of Sabbath's "War Pigs" done as in a sort of front porch blues/folk style by Freakwater back when they were just a duo.

B-side of their first single from 1990. I'm not a big fan but I like this more than the bunch of 2nd hand CD's I've picked up by them subsequently.

With the brilliant Kate Bush currently sitting at number one with her 1985 classic Running Up That Hill (A Deal A God) I thought I would post a couple of the better known cover versions of her masterpiece.

I thought about including the Within Temptation cover, but it is such a disappointing version (and from a band that I think have produced a number of great albums over the last 25 years) that I decided to spare you, but the video is on You Tube if you wish to punish yourself.:D

Really grown to like this a lot over the years. It eschews the obvious heavier riffs in the original but the playing is true to the title of the song courtesy of the intricate solos of Japanese guitarist Michio Kurihara (Ghost, The Stars, White Heaven etc)

Less subtle but Fanning is awesome.

zill

King of Mars
Oct 21, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Here is a cover of a 90's black metal song done as if it were performed by a 60's surf band. There is quite a bit of this stuff on youtube if you search trve kvlt surf music. I don't listen to any black metal but love surf music.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
nina simone’s verson of dylan’s ballad of hollis brown is a recent one i discoverer and liked a lot.
cher’s verson of walk on guilded splinters and tina turner’s whole lotta love are two old ones i like

no links sorry i’m on my phone but i promise they’re worth looking up yourself.

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Recently bought a copy of the Coke Escovedo version of this only to discover that the original by Johnny Bristol is pretty nice too.

Maybe 10-20 years ago it would be an immediate change the station if I heard this kind of music on my radio. 70's soul with a nod to the disco mirror balls.

Last edited:
Back