Covid-19 Albums to listen to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving a lot of these live reminiscences. If I could go back to 3 gigs I have seen, I'd go for;

1. Nirvana, Palace Jan 92 - my flatmate at the time was in a band and knew all the underground acts. We got tickets the day they were released., 2 weeks later Smells Like Teen Spirit changed the world. My t-shirt was destroyed within 4 songs and the merch bench replacement also destroyed. Best night of my life.

2.Igggy Pop, closing the Falls Festival 1997, finishing 2 days of great music, Iggy comes on at 11.50pm Dec 31. I could see him backstage pre gig, throwing himself against walls, bare chested in purple rubber pants. Played until after 2am and the crowd didn't let up for a second.

3. Fugazi, Hamer Hall 1991, the only gig I've ever been truly scared, numerous people were walking around bleeding profusely and looking crazed. Only a few hundred there but the energy levels were full on. Evan Dando solo and an unknown Spiderbait were supports.

Some of the acts I've seen several times over the years who have always been great would include Nick Cave, You Am I, P J Harvey, Elvis Costello, Neil Young, Sonic Youth, Weddings Parties Anything, The Church, Beasts of Bourbon,, Magic Dirt, Augie March and Midnight Oil (my first ever gig was sneaking into the Venue in StKilda underage to see them around 1983).

Acts I only saw once or twice but really liked would include (in a rough order of appreciation); Leonard Cohen, Prince, Beck, REM, David Byrne, Yo La Tengo, Sigur Ros, Weezer, Bob Dylan, LCD Soundsystem, David Bowie, Silversun Pickups, Lou Reed, Mogwai, Morrissey, King Gizzard..., Brian Wilson, Pink Floyd, U2, Cat Power, Jimmy Webb, The Dirty Three, Godspeed You Black Emperor, Eisterzende Neubaiten, Geelong, The Prodigy, Carter USM, Oasis and others that escape the damaged memory bank.

I was at the Nirvana gig - was wearing white shirt which ended up stuck like a 2nd skin; great night tho.

Nick Cave :heavycheck: at BDO. I've actually seen him more times in public, lol
You Am I :heavycheck: love love love; last seen at Espy in Nov (? I think it was)
The Church :heavycheck: more in the early days than recent
Magic Dirt :heavycheck: love love love
Midnight Oil :heavycheck: love love love (best gigs were at Forum before Pete went to Parliament).
REM :heavycheck:
David Byrne :heavycheck: great show at RLA last year or two
David Bowie :heavycheck: at Waverley, ugh (Waverley, not Bowie)! Models were support so I was happy.
Morrissey :heavycheck: love love love Mozza! Festival Hall, and another one was cancelled years ago as I was on the way to the show (or was that the Smiths)
U2 :heavycheck:, but I'm over 'em these days for some reason
The Prodigy :heavycheck: at BDO - great show

Biggest band i have seen is Blink 182 at Adel uni bar. Cost $10, I was disgusted it was so much but was pretty fun

Biggest show is Propaghandi. Probably 400 people

Most expensive was MDC. I bought a ticket for $50 but lost it. Went and was let in anyway and then gave Dave Dictor $50 and a kiss

I went to WOMAD once and Gil Scott Heron played. He was late and drunk but I did see his 15 minute set

Dry rot saw Devo and Talking heads! Jealous. Tina Weymouth was the first woman I had a crush on

Biggest band i have seen is Blink 182 at Adel uni bar. Cost $10, I was disgusted it was so much but was pretty fun

Biggest show is Propaghandi. Probably 400 people

Most expensive was MDC. I bought a ticket for $50 but lost it. Went and was let in anyway and then gave Dave Dictor $50 and a kiss

I went to WOMAD once and Gil Scott Heron played. He was late and drunk but I did see his 15 minute set

Dry rot saw Devo and Talking heads! Jealous. Tina Weymouth was the first woman I had a crush on
What do you think of this number :)

Yep, Love it but I think she was talking about someone else. Most likely somebody cooler than me. Somebody who does not like argyle sweater vests, cardigans and cats

I have seen Suzanne Vega three times. I saw her back in 93.Because I love her music. My friends and I used to see punk bands every weekend. When we got home though we listened to Suzanne Vega or The Raincoats. I moved to Melb after the breakdown of a long term relationship. While lamenting one night and in need of some therapy I learned Suzanne Vega was playing the next night.

I of course went. I also went when she did the 25th Anniversary tour of one of the best albums ever recorded

But then again, there is always Japanese hardcore punk

Die You Bastard...... One of the best bands evah

I was at the Nirvana gig - was wearing white shirt which ended up stuck like a 2nd skin; great night tho.

Nick Cave :heavycheck: at BDO. I've actually seen him more times in public, lol
You Am I :heavycheck: love love love; last seen at Espy in Nov (? I think it was)
The Church :heavycheck: more in the early days than recent
Magic Dirt :heavycheck: love love love
Midnight Oil :heavycheck: love love love (best gigs were at Forum before Pete went to Parliament).
REM :heavycheck:
David Byrne :heavycheck: great show at RLA last year or two
David Bowie :heavycheck: at Waverley, ugh (Waverley, not Bowie)! Models were support so I was happy.
Morrissey :heavycheck: love love love Mozza! Festival Hall, and another one was cancelled years ago as I was on the way to the show (or was that the Smiths)
U2 :heavycheck:, but I'm over 'em these days for some reason
The Prodigy :heavycheck: at BDO - great show
Saw the Church at Swinburne 1983
Decent gig but the image I take away from that gig was the 20 deep rows of gorgeous women (and a couple of men) fawning over Steve K

Saw the Church at Swinburne 1983
Decent gig but the image I take away from that gig was the 20 deep rows of gorgeous women (and a couple of men) fawning over Steve K
The last time I saw the Church live was at a venue that holds around 500 people on the Sunshine Coast in (around) 2014. They played a 27 song gig, the opener from their most recent album, then one from each of their 27 albums working backwards. Most enjoyed the soundscapey early songs they were largely unfiniliar with, but as the band worked towards the early career 'hits' later in the evening, the crowd increasingly went nuts. Was a great idea for a gig for any band that can produce such an extensive catalogue

The last time I saw the Church live was at a venue that holds around 500 people on the Sunshine Coast in (around) 2014. They played a 27 song gig, the opener from their most recent album, then one from each of their 27 albums working backwards. Most enjoyed the soundscapey early songs they were largely unfiniliar with, but as the band worked towards the early career 'hits' later in the evening, the crowd increasingly went nuts. Was a great idea for a gig for any band that can produce such an extensive catalogue

"Heyday" 1985 - their best (I reakon) - brilliant album

I used to love The Church. But at ‘By the C’ last year supporting Icehouse, they completely misread the crowd. Most of their set was self-indulgent over-long versions of songs most of the crowd had never heard of, and only garnered interest with their last 2-3 songs. (A Martin Plaza-less Greedy Smith and the Mentals played first of 7-8 bands, and their set shat on The Church for enthusiasm, engagement and pure performance.)

Pity, as The Blurred Crusade was a staple listen in the tape-deck(!!) of my car for years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

First band I saw and first record I bought

Melbourne had a thriving rockabilly scene in the 80s. I only know this because I have three volumes of the Preston Story on CD, a compilation of Melb rockabilly bands from the Preston label

Or maybe you saw this band

Or maybe you saw Fred Negro

A million monkeys at a million typewriters may be able to write the greatest story ever told

Why bother when you have a dozen surfers stoned in a van

First band I saw and first record I bought

Melbourne had a thriving rockabilly scene in the 80s. I only know this because I have three volumes of the Preston Story on CD, a compilation of Melb rockabilly bands from the Preston label

Or maybe you saw this band

Or maybe you saw Fred Negro

First time I ever saw Fred Negro was with the F.ck F.cks (was a bit young for the seminal I Spot On Your Gravy or Brady Bunch Lawnmower Massacre) at the first Melbourne BDO in 1993.

The BDO was a big deal then, as full day festivals weren't around through the 80s/early 90s. He was the first act I saw, midday on a tiny side stage, it was stinking hot and he looked really sick, pasty white, 45 kilos tops and sweating in a way that only lots of drugs and booze and a really unhealthy diet can produce.

He wore nothing but cowboy boots, cowboy hat and a half watermelon somehow attached to his crotch.

As each song built to its climax, he would hit himself in the forehead with the microphone hard enough to draw blood, whilst holding the watermelon and thrusting into it.

Was the perfect start to a great day

They're playing my song 😘

Have you heard Talking Heads psycho killer on the Vimeo format
You may have seen it already, if not
Enter Talking Heads psycho killer vimeo into Google, should come up
Turn-up the speakers to 11, the bass is amazing

Have you heard Talking Heads psycho killer on the Vimeo format
You may have seen it already, if not
Enter Talking Heads psycho killer vimeo into Google, should come up
Turn-up the speakers to 11, the bass is amazing

How good was the Old Grey Whistle Test. Love this performance, Skunk Baxter and Denny Dias on fire.

Last edited:
Right now...
bc0acce19133965d468a111c84a1c17a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back