Covid 19 and local cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 5, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
I thought I would open a thread for people to discuss the impact of Covid 19 on their local clubs. I am in Melbourne and it is looking like most competitions will get underway from late Oct but most about mid Nov. Cricket in regional Vic will open up earlier but the protocols that they have to follow could be more full on in Metro areas? What will work? What will not?

Here are a few issues to get the ball rolling. I am not sure how clubs are going to get through this without the income from the bar and social events. Are subs going to go through the roof? I worry for the well being of the old fellas at our local club that live to catch up with mates and watch a local game of sport. It is going to be heartbreaking for them knowing sport is on but they will be prohibited from watching after being locked up for the last 6 months. Local sport is more than the participants. Ex players and people that can no longer play due to age, health etc. are just as important as the participants imo. How are they going to police people walking around an oval when you are allowed to exercise? I am hearing in a regional comp that half the umpires have said they will not umpire due to protocols. They are concerned about umpiring in the heat, and having to wear masks with most being elderly. Are clubs going to have to umpire their own matches? There's a few to get the ball rolling.

It seems it'll all be one day comps. My comp hasn't released anything but I reckon November 14 will be the starting date

It seems it'll all be one day comps. My comp hasn't released anything but I reckon November 14 will be the starting date
Subbies are Nov 14, but that is practice matches between clubs to trial run the new rules for a week, so they can iron out any issues.

I think Premier is starting a bit later as the powers have decided they need more time to be prepared for matches once training is allowed.

Last edited:

All carrying along as per normal here though starting 2-3 weeks later so that winter sports could finish up.

A long list of requirements for players, coaches, umpires and volunteers to adhere to but I doubt anyone will read them, let alone act on them.

No afternoon teas the biggest inconvenience.

All carrying along as per normal here though starting 2-3 weeks later so that winter sports could finish up.

A long list of requirements for players, coaches, umpires and volunteers to adhere to but I doubt anyone will read them, let alone act on them.

No afternoon teas the biggest inconvenience.
From what I have heard....in the UK people adhered to the rules for about 2 weeks, then it was as per pre covid days.

I wonder how clubs are going to go without their imported players. Will clubs with a strong junior presence do better? Will there be a rush of ex players and footballers who just want to and need to play a sport sign up?

From what I have heard....in the UK people adhered to the rules for about 2 weeks, then it was as per pre covid days.
Yep

Clubs will put up a few signs and arrows on the ground in the clubrooms, hand sanitisers everywhere and appoint a "Club Covid Officer"

All for appearances in case anyone asks

Then do exactly what they usually do

Yep

Clubs will put up a few signs and arrows on the ground in the clubrooms, hand sanitisers everywhere and appoint a "Club Covid Officer"

All for appearances in case anyone asks

Then do exactly what they usually do
Gee I would hate to be the covid officer. I would be banging my head against the wall trying to get people to comply knowing there's not much chance everything will be followed to the letter of the law. I've been kind of asked, with the carrot being dangled that you can at least watch (but I think we will be able to watch anyway) and ran for the hills...no way. Is the club responsible if Rona goes through the joint? the Covid officer? Are insurance policies affected? Things are ramping up with people training now. Small groups of varied abilities will train together to avoid a whole team or grade being wiped out for a few rounds if an infection occurs. I can see groups of 10 sitting in circles , 1.5m apart, after the games, drinking into the night before too long lol.

The DHHS have now said umps to wear masks, which will now be interesting to see if there is an exodus.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back