Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Remove this Banner Ad

They postpone many games in the UK mate..its doable.
AFL is a bit precious like that
I agree with you in general and certainly dont want games postponed...but what happens if one player gets it and dies....that is extremely unlikely of course but a hell of a risk to gamble on for a bit of sport
Many games in the UK are continuing despite players missing without covid so not sure what you are on about

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app

They postpone many games in the UK mate..its doable.
AFL is a bit precious like that
I agree with you in general and certainly dont want games postponed...but what happens if one player gets it and dies....that is extremely unlikely of course but a hell of a risk to gamble on for a bit of sport

Don't follow EPL closely, but I imagine...

1) UK clubs have their own grounds, they can schedule stuff whenever they want
2) They have 11 players and a couple of subs. You miss 5-6 players and your team is gutted. In AFL, it's more manageable
3) Teams are filled with world's best players getting paid millions (sometimes tens of millions) of $ a year. Subbing them out with a reserve is a bit different to filling in for Martin or even Cerra

NBA matches are going ahead unless the club literally can't field a team. They are using 'top up players'. Admittedly, their rosters are a lot smaller than AFL and they play every 2nd night, so postponing is even trickier than in Aus.

Agree, if you postpone this one, then one next week then two the week after it becomes a logistical nightmare.

All clubs now have a 20 person supplementary list in case of a huge outbreak as a mitigation but the takeaway in this is not AFL corruption but how virulent covid-19 is; how random this will be across the season; and how lucky we are to vaccines to minimise games missed*

*And society obv.

Don't follow EPL closely, but I imagine...

1) UK clubs have their own grounds, they can schedule stuff whenever they want
2) They have 11 players and a couple of subs. You miss 5-6 players and your team is gutted. In AFL, it's more manageable
3) Teams are filled with world's best players getting paid millions (sometimes tens of millions) of $ a year. Subbing them out with a reserve is a bit different to filling in for Martin or even Cerra

NBA matches are going ahead unless the club literally can't field a team. They are using 'top up players'. Admittedly, their rosters are a lot smaller than AFL and they play every 2nd night, so postponing is even trickier than in Aus.
With club comps, top flight euro football often plays two or even three games in seven days too. AFL players simply wouldn't be set up for the physical demands of that workload.

With club comps, top flight euro football often plays two or even three games in seven days too. AFL players simply wouldn't be set up for the physical demands of that workload.
In years gone by, our squad could hardly handle showing up once a week... ;)

Last edited:
Many games in the UK are continuing despite players missing without covid so not sure what you are on about

On CPH1877 using BigFooty.com mobile app
There has certainly been Premier League games postponed due to sides being impacted by Covid. It is not unusual for games to be postponed in the UK due to other Cup and European fixtures as well and they have the advantage you can play every 2 or 3 days so they can catch-up whereas the AFL probably need a little longer between games.

OK beat me to it. I should probably read a little more closely before i post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just received this and from the club:

Hi Katmanblue,
This is a courtesy message to let you know that within the last 24 hours we have been made aware that several of our guests who attended the President’s Club Function on Sunday afternoon have tested positive to Covid-19. Please monitor for any symptoms and get tested on your own accord. We hope you all stay well, and look forward to seeing you all again soon. Regards, Carlton Corporate.

Oh, joy.

Hello friends
Anyone here asthmatic and have had covid and wouldn’t mind helping a sista out?
A friend of mine and his wife recently tested positive for Covid. She is an asthmatic and her doctor told her to quadruple her medication (not sure if this means just take the medication four times as much or get a more concentrated medication) while she has Covid. She is my age so a little older than yourself so not sure you would get the same recommendation.

As an aside , they are both finding it tough going and definitely more than a minor cold so i will be interested to give them a call on Monday when their quarantine is up and see how they fared.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back