Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Short insight into the effectiveness of the vaccine...

My Uncle works as Head of an emergency department at a decently sized hospital. His very recent commentary to me was without the vaccine the death count would be 'scary'. There are people going into emergency in a bad way with the vaccine and without would never have made it to the hospital.

Hospital systems still stretched by the virus.

Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
Short insight into the effectiveness of the vaccine...

My Uncle works as Head of an emergency department at a decently sized hospital. His very recent commentary to me was without the vaccine the death count would be 'scary'. There are people going into emergency in a bad way with the vaccine and without would never have made it to the hospital.

Hospital systems still stretched by the virus.
Yep, have heard the same from a friend in Emergency Services. They've been informed to prepare for significant stress on the system from now till Feb-Mar. It would have been a whole lot worse without (1) the vaccines; and (2) the public health and safety measures implemented.

Simple maths tells us that without the lockdowns and other measures we'd be looking at 40-50k deaths in Australia - and that's just using UK/US as a guide with their less strict measures. With no PHSMs at all (as some were advocating last year), the death count would have been significantly higher than that.

Please spare a thought for those in Emergency Services and Healthcare that are going to have a very stressful Christmas period.

Finally got to have dinner with my dad last night! He was over the moon to have all four of his grandsons in the one place for the first time.
That is a beautiful thing to read Mrs E.B!
💙😊

Jun 6, 2007
Footscray
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Sunderland,Pelicans, LA Kings
We hit the road yesterday and went to Woodend with a couple of dear friends who we hadn’t seen in ages. I reckon the last time we saw each other in person was outside the ‘G after the Hawthorn game.

It was a beautiful day. We had a counter meal and a couple of locally brewed drinks at the Holgate.

Being Woodend I took a jumper which was needed in the late afternoon.🥶

2448DAC8-36BF-410B-AF0F-67C218D8A21C.jpeg

Bucolic scenes with the Holgate in the background.

It was a beautiful day. We had a counter meal and a couple of locally brewed drinks at the Holgate.
Were there a couple of pissheads at the bar in the Holgate? One or both on the phone to their boss explaining how they couldn't make it in to work because they were sick?

Sep 10, 2003
Exile
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Carlton
I was there a few years ago and this tradie was in, blind off his nut at 3PM on the phone with "oh mate I couldn't make it in because... "

Reminds me when I was a Murdoch drone at Blackburn around ‘95.

Day shift production went across the road to the Blakkie pub for a couple of pre-race skulls & it got a bit fresh.

Anyhoo, one twit thought to take a double lunch & decided to call in a bomb threat from the front bar pay phone to get the day off.

Problem for this guy is he was Indian & in those days Ruperts fun factories weren’t the most racially diverse so it was pretty easy to work out who called.

So the production manager sends one of the cadets over to the pub, and there he is.....still on the phone!!!

In true Murdoch spirit, old mate got the day off to watch the neddies & a CabCharge voucher home.

True dinks.👍👍

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2020
AFL Club
Carlton
My fave graphs... These two graphs tell us a lot about where we are at with vaccinations. We generally just hear the overall figures - e.g. today Victoria is at 92% of eligible population with 1 dose, and 83% double-dosed. They're good numbers, yay us! But it's worth looking at these excellent break-downs by age group.

In particular, have a look at the 20-somethings. It's more than a little worrisome that about 1 in 6 Victorians aged in their 20s have not yet had a vaccination. This group is rapidly being surpassed by the teenagers, who became eligible much later. And in the second graphic, we see this reflected again, in how long it will take to get each age group to 90% double-vaxxed. For the 20-24 group, this has ballooned out to over 3 months away (106 days).

I bring all of this up here, because I figure the demographic of BF followers is likely to contain a large percentage of that same group - in particular young men in their 20s. If you're part of that group, and haven't yet been vaccinated, please consider doing it ASAP - not just for yourself, but for your friends and family. And if you are vaccinated, please consider having this conversation with your mates.

I've been very Vic focused, as that is where I live. But these graphs also show that QLD, WA, SA and NT have a long way to go. Already, we've heard in the news that restrictions in WA are likely to stay till end of January - only one way to fix this: get the jab!

Graphs: CovidBaseAU
1636081251110.png

1636081304523.png

If you're part of that group, and haven't yet been vaccinated, please consider doing it ASAP - not just for yourself, but for your friends and family. And if you are vaccinated, please consider having this conversation with your mates.
I reckon we need a vaccination anthem to the tune of Village People's YMCA.

"Young man!
"

I put this in the Bluemour thread, I'll put it here for now as well so as to be very clear.

Mod notice:

Reports have emerged tonight that one of our listed players has thus far refused the vaccine.

As this is a very divisive and sensitive topic, we ask that you please avoid speculating on this board as to who the player is. Let's wait for the story to come out in full.

Please do not push us on this topic.

Thanks.

As an addendum to this, since the news broke last night I've seen discussions pop up in here around no fewer than 5 different players on our list.

Even if you think you might know who it is, you may very well be wrong. Best to shut up and keep it to yourself.

Please do not drag our players through the mud on this. It is most unhelpful and certainly completely unnecessary.

No speculation. No posting links to bullshit fan Twitter accounts. We'll all find out soon enough.

Last edited:
Back