Mega Thread COVID-19 Carlton & the AFL - NO POLITICS/NO RELIGION/NO CONSPIRACIES ETC

Remove this Banner Ad

One of my anti vax staff members (not currently working as a result of that choice) tested positive this week and is very very unwell. She wants the vaccine now but unfortunately cannot get it at the moment.
I hope she gets better very soon.

One of my anti vax staff members (not currently working as a result of that choice) tested positive this week and is very very unwell. She wants the vaccine now but unfortunately cannot get it at the moment.
My daughter's friend is a nurse currently working in a covid ward.
Some of the stories she has told are sad and frustrating.
There are many cases of patients begging for the vaccine while in hospital and there are those who still don't think it is real.
Recently she nursed a 79 year old patient, her husband was also in hospital really sick.
Most of their extended family caught it, the only one who didn't was vaccinated.
Sadly the woman passed away.
I have had 3 of my workmates get it, one so sick she ended up in hospital.
She has had the vaccine now and is telling everyone she knows to get it too.
Her dad was in intensive care for about 6 weeks and almost didn't make it.

My daughter's friend is a nurse currently working in a covid ward.
Some of the stories she has told are sad and frustrating.
There are many cases of patients begging for the vaccine while in hospital and there are those who still don't think it is real.
Recently she nursed a 79 year old patient, her husband was also in hospital really sick.
Most of their extended family caught it, the only one who didn't was vaccinated.
Sadly the woman passed away.
I have had 3 of my workmates get it, one so sick she ended up in hospital.
She has had the vaccine now and is telling everyone she knows to get it too.
Her dad was in intensive care for about 6 weeks and almost didn't make it.
See that's the thing isn't it? It's easy to oppose vaccination on (insert whatever ground you choose or invent) whilst it is not affecting you or anyone in your life.

Exactly. That is happening a fair bit.
Really sorry to hear it..no matter what choice they made.

I reckon we need a vaccination anthem to the tune of Village People's YMCA.

"Young man!
"
"It's fun to protect yourself and your family from a deadly virus"

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...so the 400 odd in hospital are just faking it you reckon ??

Absolutely not. Influenza had 4000 in ICUs in 2019 and there was a strong push for mandates from Health Authorities.

5% of people suffer from diabetes and 3.5% suffer from Heart Disease there are more important areas in the health system to focus on.

Absolutely not. Influenza had 4000 in ICUs in 2019 and there was a strong push for mandates from Health Authorities.

5% of people suffer from diabetes and 3.5% suffer from Heart Disease there are more important areas in the health system to focus on.

Sorry Donnini but you are not making fair comparisons and so therefore dismissing the virulence and danger of COVID - and then using it to support an anti-vax stance.

The quoting of influenza in 2019 is a common one - "well we had 4000 cases in ICU and 480 deaths from flu in 2019 and we didn't go into lockdown or push mandatory vaccines". Andrew Bolt rolls out this argument all the time.

In doing this you are completely dismissing the role of covid measures, lockdowns and later the vaccine. If we had done nothing (let it rip) on Covid we would have easily seen the tens of thousands of deaths from Covid that were predicted. I travel to Toronto a lot for business - demographically a very similar city to Melbourne and they had 10,000 deaths alone with a 6 month plus lockdown. You only have to look to the US and UK at the number of deaths' from COVID and its something like 10 times the number of flu deaths' in a bad season.

People ask - "we have X deaths from flu every year - why don't we lockdown ??" - simple answer - because we have a vaccine (and a level of immunity). If it gets out of control we can roll out vaccines to curb the flu. In past decades where there was no vaccine, guess what the strategy was - lockdowns. Diabetes has a level of treatment and to an extent heart disease but unlike COVID, they won't spike with millions of additional cases in a year and they aren't contagious - people aren't in danger of getting sick from sitting next to a diabetic.

PS: There is a also a focus on diabetes and heart disease - not all health budget is spent on Covid.

Last edited:
Whoever got it will recover in 2-3 days with very mild symptoms I know I had it.
Oh, thank goodness for that!
Here I was, thinking it’s a worldwide pandemic, killing thousands of people. I’m such an idiot sometimes.

9 days to go 👍 we’re all negative so far
I have had to quarantine twice in the last couple of months. 4 out of 5 weeks unfortunately.
Two people I work with tested positive during this time.
We had over 30 staff off the first time and around 60 the second.
I thought it had changed now for close and secondary close contacts.
If it happens again at my work those who are fully vaccinated, which is all of us now, only have to test and can return when negative. At worse it is a 5 day quarantine I think.
Secondary close contacts do not have to quarantine if the close contact is negative at the start.
Did the Health dept tell you all that you had to quarantine too?

Sorry Donnini but you are not making fair comparisons and so therefore dismissing the virulence and danger of COVID - and then using it to support an anti-vax stance.

The quoting of influenza in 2019 is a common one - "well we had 4000 cases in ICU and 480 deaths from flu in 2019 and we didn't go into lockdown or push mandatory vaccines". Andrew Bolt rolls out this argument all the time.

In doing this you are completely dismissing the role of covid measures, lockdowns and later the vaccine. If we had done nothing (let it rip) on Covid we would have easily seen the tens of thousands of deaths from Covid that were predicted. I travel to Toronto a lot for business - demographically a very similar city to Melbourne and they had 10,000 deaths alone with a 6 month plus lockdown. You only have to look to the US and UK at the number of deaths' from COVID and its something like 10 times the number of flu deaths' in a bad season.

People ask - "we have X deaths from flu every year - why don't we lockdown ??" - simple answer - because we have a vaccine (and a level of immunity). If it gets out of control we can roll out vaccines to curb the flu. In past decades where there was no vaccine, guess what the strategy was - lockdowns. Diabetes has a level of treatment and to an extent heart disease but unlike COVID, they won't spike with millions of additional cases in a year and they aren't contagious - people aren't in danger of getting sick from sitting next to a diabetic.

PS: There is a also a focus on diabetes and heart disease - not all health budget is spent on Covid.

I think you are mis reading things - I am not against the vaccination. If people think it is better for them and people around them then that's fine.

It's the forced vaccination eventually lead to segregation. It's not going to stop you from getting Covid this is not medicine it's an immuniser not a blocker. Just like the flu shot - you can still get influenza people shouldnt be forced to get the flu shot. But those that want to get Vaxxed that's good.

I think you are mis reading things - I am not against the vaccination. If people think it is better for them and people around them then that's fine.

It's the forced vaccination eventually lead to segregation. It's not going to stop you from getting Covid this is not medicine it's an immuniser not a blocker. Just like the flu shot - you can still get influenza people shouldnt be forced to get the flu shot. But those that want to get Vaxxed that's good.

what’s your response to the assessment of flu v COVID numbers? Given you were suggesting that COVID is the same as the flu to make a point…

what’s your response to the assessment of flu v COVID numbers? Given you were suggesting that COVID is the same as the flu to make a point…

I said Influenza has a lower mortality rate did not say it was the same. If we were going to have a rolling tally and the madness associated with it then influenza numbers would have a similar run rate. Obviously Covid is more potent but not enough to stop people leading their lives normally.

I have had to quarantine twice in the last couple of months. 4 out of 5 weeks unfortunately.
Two people I work with tested positive during this time.
We had over 30 staff off the first time and around 60 the second.
I thought it had changed now for close and secondary close contacts.
If it happens again at my work those who are fully vaccinated, which is all of us now, only have to test and can return when negative. At worse it is a 5 day quarantine I think.
Secondary close contacts do not have to quarantine if the close contact is negative at the start.
Did the Health dept tell you all that you had to quarantine too?
Haha you’re assuming that we’ve even heard from DHHS! No we’re not all in quarantine, just our four year old.

Ok - I enjoy the debate Donnini :thumbsu:

I do agree in the sense you cannot mandate taking a vaccine or a forced vaccination. You can't force a needle into peoples arms - which we aren't in Australia. We are making it a condition of certain employment or entry to events which you are correct - this is a form of segregation.

Respectfully I again reject the comparison to flu. Like it or not this a pandemic. A world wide pandemic - it's not the flu. It's killed millions around the world in 12 months - unlike anything we have seen in any of our lifetimes. This isn't a normal event - it's an extraordinary event and should be treated as such.

Can we make people get the vaccine - no. But I think we do - in this extraordinary time - have the right to impose some extraordinary laws such as the mandates and if that causes some temporary segregation for the next 12 months or so then so be it. It's the cost of war !

Ok - I enjoy the debate Donnini :thumbsu:

I do agree in the sense you cannot mandate taking a vaccine or a forced vaccination. You can't force a needle into peoples arms - which we aren't in Australia. We are making it a condition of certain employment or entry to events which you are correct - this is a form of segregation.

Respectfully I again reject the comparison to flu. Like it or not this a pandemic. A world wide pandemic - it's not the flu. It's killed millions around the world in 12 months - unlike anything we have seen in any of our lifetimes. This isn't a normal event - it's an extraordinary event and should be treated as such.

Can we make people get the vaccine - no. But I think we do - in this extraordinary time - have the right to impose some extraordinary laws such as the mandates and if that causes some temporary segregation for the next 12 months or so then so be it. It's the cost of war !

You can get more taking the Vaccine without being an experimental guinea pig. Different variants will require more injections....to what end and what will the cocktail mix of injections do to your body in the long term? No one knows and if you don't know then you don't force it on people.

More people will be more accepting to my mind if it becomes available in the form of a pill or drink like Yakult for example. But this is Dank on nitrous oxide.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back