COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

a gem from Paddy. 6289C262-5B62-45D6-B293-391BB8417C3F.jpeg
Looks like games for at least the next month we will be watching on tv from home. Diabolical for the Australian economy but the health of all Australians must come first and foremost.

AFLX seems more logical it needs less players and shouldnt draw a crowd over 500

game-of-thrones-stannis-fewer.gif

I feel sorry for the players, playing in a huge empty stadium would be quite an eerie feeling... even the s**t teams get thousands along... but imagine, no one - every kick, bump, goal being met by silence.

I'd almost ask if they could have crowd noise playing over the speakers so some of the atmosphere was there.

So following the AFL's announcement to play in front of empty stadium, massive piece of s**t Mark Latham thought he'd weigh in with his "genius insight" on the matter. Jack Fitzpatrick wasn't having any of it! You just love to see it!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 5 years ago I watched a movie called Contagion and remember thinking ‘ I wonder if this could ever be real in the real world’ then thought nothing much of it, but now it has a huge relevance thinking back to it.

About 5 years ago I watched a movie called Contagion and remember thinking ‘ I wonder if this could ever be real in the real world’ then thought nothing much of it, but now it has a huge relevance thinking back to it.
In 2003 we had SARS and in 2009 we had swine flu. And still government did not act to put things in place. Apologies to the USA which did but then their president shut it down 😂

it is pretty obvious that governments are making decisions on the fly and it is leading to sub optimal decisions.

In 2003 we had SARS and in 2009 we had swine flu. And still government did not act to put things in place. Apologies to the USA which did but then their president shut it down 😂

it is pretty obvious that governments are making decisions on the fly and it is leading to sub optimal decisions.

i live in Singapore. They are smashing it. Australia on the other hand....

I feel sorry for the players, playing in a huge empty stadium would be quite an eerie feeling... even the s**t teams get thousands along... but imagine, no one - every kick, bump, goal being met by silence.

I'd almost ask if they could have crowd noise playing over the speakers so some of the atmosphere was there.
You're making it out like they've never played in front of nobody before. Honestly wont be a big change, would have played in front of few back in their junior days.

Not going to post it because its a long read , but a family friend of mine's colleague ( both very high in the medical field ) posted a pretty scathing and concerning overview of this situation.

If they are right we will be lucky to see footy at all in the next few months probably longer .
In short we are two weeks behind ( should be at lockout now ) where we should be to really control this .

NZ travel restrictions impact the Warriors (NRL) and the Wellington Phoenix (A-league). Nix will have to go to Australia after tomorrow night's Victory game, and Warriors will have to stay here after their loss in Newcastle this afternoon.

The Super Rugby season will likely be cancelled.

I've been trying to keep up to date with the latest news/advice and it seems the experts are saying the number of people infected doubles every 5/6 days and the peak is expected here in May/June.

I'd like to see the AFL try a 17 game season but I fear the season won't go ahead in any meaningful fashion. All it'd take to kill the season is for a few players to get it, and have lists forced into isolation. Games would have to be forfeited, possibly at short notice. Tough decisions will have to be made and will probably be inevitable after a few more weeks of this.

I get that it's a serious health issue but the public reaction has been near mass hysteria. One of the economists I saw interviewed indicated the impact to the economy would be around 20% due to the virus and the other 80% due to a change in public behaviour (based on the experience with SARS etc).

Netball Victoria has put all leagues on hold until May currently. Obviously pending future changes.

With the half arsed way the government is handling this I'm not even sure we will have peaked then.

Reckon footy will be cancelled before the first game on Thursday.

You can tell how little s**t people give when you're off work sick and your employer is trying to line you up to work on a customer site next week.

If they leave it up to people to decide when to take protective measures given how employers treat staff sick leave we will end up very much ****ed.

We are heading in to winter and peak flu season. A terrible time for this virus to be hitting us. Expecting a big announcement on Monday.

We are heading in to winter and peak flu season. A terrible time for this virus to be hitting us. Expecting a big announcement on Monday.
Australian Government to announce that we're postponing flu season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back