COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't believe the ignorance of some posters who still think it was justifiable to be protesting.

No point arguing with hypocrites and stupid.

I can’t believe some posters still believe you can stop tens of thousands of highly motivated people protesting by making it “illegal”.

I can’t believe some posters still believe you can stop tens of thousands of highly motivated people protesting by making it “illegal”.
That's a copout. There are tens of thousands of highly motivated people who want to smoke indoors. Do you allow that?

That's a copout. There are tens of thousands of highly motivated people who want to smoke indoors. Do you allow that?

How do the issues the protesters feel passionately about and smoking have any equivalence?

No, that is what you're saying.

You think the virus isn't worth locking down for, but you're then you're concerned at how "inept" Andrews has been to allow it's spread.

I think what Bumpswithagrin is saying is personally the restrictions are over the top from their viewpoint.

But obviously the government disagree, so if they're are going to lockdown at least do it properly, instead of worrying about people going fishing or playing golf make sure your return traveler policing is squeaky clean.

How do the issues the protesters feel passionately about and smoking have any equivalence?
Because science doesn't care about politics. The virus doesn't care about the "issues". You think there will be a difference between a BLM protest and a smoker's rights protest? You are better than this, don't bring politics into a public health issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Masks should be mandatory at all times. Stop pussyfooting around.
I think OFC was being facetious. But yes it should be.

I find it strange some people think that Australia (prior to the spike) handled this well and are the envy of the world. The only reason this spike didn't come sooner is because Australia is isolated and is likely a month or two behind most of the world. There were barely any rules around social distancing, mask wearing etc. Not to mention premature reopenings. I would say 90-95% of everyone here have been wearing masks for the last 3 months. Can't say I ever saw that over there. And the numbers have stabilised in NY state - for now.

No doubt NSW and QLD are next. They are patting themselves on the back but give it a couple of months and it's a guarantee they will see surges that are similar or will surpass Victoria.

I can't believe the ignorance of some posters who still think it was justifiable to be protesting.

No point arguing with hypocrites and stupid.
I can’t believe the ignorance of people carrying on about a protest that has no links to the current outbreak in Victoria.

Just like in every other state where the protests were held, and no outbreaks occurred.

Have people yet realised that those protests were very good indicators of what can be achieved if large numbers of people re-enter public spaces responsibly? They certainly have in every other state, yet in Vic there’s a small chorus of folk lamenting the protests, like they actually have anything to do with the current predicament, rather than ignorant people choosing to be careless.

You should give yourself demerit points for stupidity.

But at least it's on show for everyone to witness :thumbsu:

You can be relied on for your usual standard of contribution, I see.

I can’t believe the ignorance of people carrying on about a protest that has no links to the current outbreak in Victoria.

Just like in every other state where the protests were held, and no outbreaks occurred.

Have people yet realised that those protests were very good indicators of what can be achieved if large numbers of people re-enter public spaces responsibly? They certainly have in every other state, yet in Vic there’s a small chorus of folk lamenting the protests, like they actually have anything to do with the current predicament, rather than ignorant people choosing to be careless.

I generally think your posts are well thought out. This one unfortunately misses the mark by a fair way.

Can I ask did you attend the protest?

I understand people’s frustration at those attending the march - it was recommended they don’t and It went ahead anyway.

Did it send the wrong message across Australia - probably but mixed messages have been the order of the day right from the beginning

Did it contribute to this cluster * directly - no it didn’t and all the EVIDENCE and DATA supports that across the country. This could be attributed to the guidelines that were put in place - masks and sanitisers everywhere you looked. You need to look no further than your local shopping centre or market to see how little regard was paid by people out and about to the guidelines put in place to see that complacency started early.

I don’t know why so many are so determined to try and link this to BLM when there are so many other factors in play but it is what it is and it won’t matter what’s put on the table it will be disputed and dismissed.

Whether you sit for or against It’s not going to matter in the long run because neither “side” are going to give so que sera sera

I generally think your posts are well thought out. This one unfortunately misses the mark by a fair way.

Can I ask did you attend the protest?
No, I did not, but can you explain how it misses the mark?

No, I did not, but can you explain how it misses the mark?

I think I have explained my thoughts/ beliefs in my earlier post so will check out of this now as there is no point going back and forth.

I hope for no more mass gatherings/ protests for the next few months atleast. 🤞

I think I have explained my thoughts/ beliefs in my earlier post so will check out of this now as there is no point going back and forth.

I hope for no more mass gatherings/ protests for the next few months atleast. 🤞
I'd rather no cases

Because science doesn't care about politics. The virus doesn't care about the "issues". You think there will be a difference between a BLM protest and a smoker's rights protest? You are better than this, don't bring politics into a public health issue.

This isn’t a political question, it’s a practical one.

NSW went down the path of trying the “ban” their BLM protests. Given the sentiment at the time, do you think it would stopped the majority showing up anyway? Of course not.

The point of protest is to disrupt. It is civil disobedience.

I support the right to protest. Black Lives Matter, 5G/anti-vaxxer, whatever. It may be incompatible with public health outcomes (in this case apparently not) but its a civil right and people get to make choices.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back