COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

Now we have more knowledge about risks, ironically those being puritanical about what others should and shouldn’t be doing have been a bit off the mark.

turns out it’s activities with ‘High moral value’ are the most risky. Visiting family, religion, weddings, kids parties. Caring for sick.

not so much lazing on the beach, driving around, Outdoor pursuits strip clubs and all those despised activities
Strip clubs, night clubs and office work all largely not happening right now. It is called selection bias. The list of activities that lead to infection would be a lot longer were we actually doing them 😉

edit: some interesting graphics about how it is spread. Stay up wind of aircon!

1593433593291.jpeg
Also, physical barriers help a lot. Time near infected people more important than short contact in passing.
1593433674316.jpeg

Attachments

• 1593433489458.jpeg
    1593433489458.jpeg
    26.1 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Were the NRL warned about Queensland impending border closures?
They had settled into a NSW base, then a few days later go "you know what, let's go to Queensland." A day later Queensland decide to close the state to victoria...

Strip clubs, night clubs and office work all largely not happening right now. It is called selection bias. The list of activities that lead to infection would be a lot longer were we actually doing them 😉

edit: some interesting graphics about how it is spread. Stay up wind of aircon!

View attachment 902951
Also, physical barriers help a lot. Time near infected people more important than short contact in passing.
View attachment 902953

Thoughts on this? Norway 5x more prominent per 1m people than Australia.

Sounds like the target testing in Broady and Keilor Downs went well , a lot of people flat out refused to be tested apparently.

I hope they are right seeing as I'm back at the gym but two weeks is way to short given the incubation period of the virus.

4 weeks would have been better, 8 even better.

Norway have very low case numbers but do still have cases so probably not a bad comparison for Australia where it's around but not prevalent like in America.

Sounded like they might have been letting more in that we are as well. Be interesting to see a revisit of the group again after 2 more weeks

Sounds like the target testing in Broady and Keilor Downs went well , a lot of people flat out refused to be tested apparently.

Not surprising if that’s the case, the demographic would likely have no idea what the testers are doing or saying to them, particularly the older cohort. Hopefully the state government had enough nous to send in Arabic speakers with the testers and/or had Arabic speakers testing.

I hope they are right seeing as I'm back at the gym but two weeks is way to short given the incubation period of the virus.

4 weeks would have been better, 8 even better.

Norway have very low case numbers but do still have cases so probably not a bad comparison for Australia where it's around but not prevalent like in America.

Sounded like they might have been letting more in that we are as well. Be interesting to see a revisit of the group again after 2 more weeks

Positive news none the less.. I know there was a know outbreak related to Zumba classes in South Korea, but I am yet to come across outbreaks directly related to fitness centres. It seems to me that the majority of cases are directly related to small close groups spending significant amounts of time together, that seems to be the driving factor. Trotting pass someone in the gym, training next to someone 1.5m away from you or spending time in an indoor space whether that be a supermarket, take away joint or gym don’t seem be playing a role in the spread.

My first thought is that if no one attending the gym had the virus then it would be impossible to catch the virus 🤷‍♂️

only one person involved in the study caught the virus and didn’t attend the gym so I think this study was probably just too small to be definitive.

if the virus did make it into the gym, we could then understand if the rate of spread was significantly different to the wider community.

obviously I’m not a health expert but fans/aircon would probably lead to droplets travelling further. Can the direction of the airflow be controlled to reduce travel towards other gym users?

I’d be interested in the impact surface disinfectant can have on reducing transmission. Can you safely spray equipment with glen 20 prior to use? Along with hand sanitiser, would this significantly reduce likelihood of transmission?

The fitness industry needs answers to these questions but I’m not sure if the understanding is complete enough to answer them. Possible some government advice around protocols?

Positive news none the less.. I know there was a know outbreak related to Zumba classes in South Korea, but I am yet to come across outbreaks directly related to fitness centres. It seems to me that the majority of cases are directly related to small close groups spending significant amounts of time together, that seems to be the driving factor. Trotting pass someone in the gym, training next to someone 1.5m away from you or spending time in an indoor space whether that be a supermarket, take away joint or gym don’t seem be playing a role in the spread.
It might be aerobic activity is higher risk than weights. Maybe a single row of treadmills, well spaced would be ok but a bank of them with fans at the front blowing air from front to back would create a higher risk.

It might be aerobic activity is higher risk than weights. Maybe a single row of treadmills, well spaced would be ok but a bank of them with fans at the front blowing air from front to back would create a higher risk.

I think what you’re saying is logical and pretty on the mark.

My first thought is that if no one attending the gym had the virus then it would be impossible to catch the virus 🤷‍♂️

only one person involved in the study caught the virus and didn’t attend the gym so I think this study was probably just too small to be definitive.

if the virus did make it into the gym, we could then understand if the rate of spread was significantly different to the wider community.

obviously I’m not a health expert but fans/aircon would probably lead to droplets travelling further. Can the direction of the airflow be controlled to reduce travel towards other gym users?

I’d be interested in the impact surface disinfectant can have on reducing transmission. Can you safely spray equipment with glen 20 prior to use? Along with hand sanitiser, would this significantly reduce likelihood of transmission?

The fitness industry needs answers to these questions but I’m not sure if the understanding is complete enough to answer them. Possible some government advice around protocols?

The fitness industry was sort of being thrown into the same bucket as bars/clubs initially which was a categoric overreaction.

If high grade commercial aircon systems spread the virus you would have thought, logically, shopping centres and supermarkets as well as Government buildings would be super spreaders. The more we understand, the more it seems very close, prolonged contact is the overwhelming promoter.

The fitness industry was sort of being thrown into the same bucket as bars/clubs initially which was a categoric overreaction.

If high grade commercial aircon systems spread the virus you would have thought, logically, shopping centres and supermarkets as well as Government buildings would be super spreaders. The more we understand, the more it seems very close, prolonged contact is the overwhelming promoter.
They were put in the non essential category.

People need food, they can go for a walk or do some push ups at home as far as the government was concerned.

Shopping centres were ghost towns with whole sections blocked off and most shops that weren't essential like supermarkets and banks were closed for a while there

Closing gyms wasn't an overreaction based on the information available when they did it and that is what the decision should be judged on, and we're still waiting to see if opening them back up works.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They were put in the non essential category.

People need food, they can go for a walk or do some push ups at home as far as the government was concerned.

Shopping centres were ghost towns with whole sections blocked off and most shops that weren't essential like supermarkets and banks were closed for a while there

Closing gyms wasn't an overreaction based on the information available when they did it and that is what the decision should be judged on, and we're still waiting to see if opening them back up works.

Not sure what shopping centre you go to but highpoint has always been pretty busy.. and for the last 4-6 weeks has been bonkers

Ultimately what matters is accumulated viral load over time inhaled by a person. Proximity is clearly a factor but the first graphic I shared above was from a restaurant where the patient 0 spent 1-1.5 hours dining (they were not symptomatic). It spreads a lot further than 1.5m in that restaurant due to the airflow. 50% of people on the infected person's table got the disease. 75% on the downwind and 2 of 7 on the upwind table got infected (due to turbulence...the air has to come back towards the aircon unit). No one else got sick.

This tells me that your risk is not only affected by proximity but also factors specific to where in the room you are sitting relative to airflow. So I think it is fundamentally impossible to make a blanket statement about any type of location. If people are spending an hour or more in the gym they may put enough viral material into the air that others visiting at the same time could get sick but the risk might be totally dependent on specific features and layout of the gym. There needs to be a risk assessment tool which factors in type of activity, airflow, distance etc. and I don't mean just gyms, but all types of venues.

I think shopping centres are fundamentally less risking due to the volume of air and the transitory nature of behaviour with people moving through spaces rather than occupy them for extended periods. With enough sick people out there it would be highly risky but in low infection rate environments it would be far less risky.

Not sure what shopping centre you go to but highpoint has always been pretty busy.. and for the last 4-6 weeks has been bonkers
Yeah I'm talking about back in March and April when everything got locked down, not recently.

And I'm talking about compared to their normal level of use

Make that 10 post codes

ostcode 3012: Brooklyn, Kingville, Maidstone, Tottenham, and West Footscray.

Postcode 3021: Alban Vale, Kealba, Kings Park, St Albans.

Postcode 3032: Ascot Vale, High Point City, Maribyrnong, Travancore.

Postcode 3038: Keilor Downs, Keilor Lodge, Taylors Lakes, Watergardens.

Postcode 3042: Airport West, Keilor Park, Niddrie.

Postcode 3046: Glenroy, Hadfield, Oak Park.

Postcode 3047: Broadmeadows, Dallas, Jacana.

Postcode 3055: Brunswick South, Brunswick West, Moonee Vale, Moreland West.

Postcode 3060: Fawkner.

Postcode 3064: Craigieburn, Donnybrook, Mickleham, Roxburgh Park and Kalkallo.

Make that 10 post codes

Assuming I can still leave for work as essential service given its stage 3 .

Its the right move but not sure how hard they can enforce it

Not surprising if that’s the case, the demographic would likely have no idea what the testers are doing or saying to them, particularly the older cohort. Hopefully the state government had enough nous to send in Arabic speakers with the testers and/or had Arabic speakers testing.
25% of our work in that area requires interpreters , doesnt sound like much but its a lot .

Unfortunately I think their is a decent F-U factor through enough of the rest of the community .

Like I say we saw this coming a while back ,

Assuming I can still leave for work as essential service given its stage 3 .

Its the right move but not sure how hard they can enforce it
It's the same rules as before when the whole state was in stage 3
you can go out for food, work, medical attention, caring for someone

What the F is wrong with people? Who's responsible for teaching and raising these types?

We need a Samuel L Jackson figure, ala The Kingsman, to invent a mobile phone sim card to initiate a homicidal rampage in these communities.

Make that 10 post codes

Dodged it somehow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back