COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

Why were they using security guards and not the military, after spending weeks watching Victoria get pilloried for doing exactly that?

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

As far as I know SA had security guards under supervision of the police

All states have used security guards - the National Cabinet model was security guards with proper supervision from ADF/Police

SA have been very transparent about what they have been doing. One issue has been not regularly testing all staff working in hotels regardless of symptoms - It seems all states have now agreed this should happen so they are all going to do it.

Interestingly Tassie are going to be doing something different:
Mr Gutwein said Tasmania Police would be responsible for “managing and supervising… 24/7” hotel quarantine security, with assistance from the Australian Defence Force and two private security guards per shift.

and the simplest solution is wearing a mask - Asian countries have been doing it for years and yet here we will hear how it is a violation of their rights

I know for a fact that ALL Qantas staff across Australia will he wearing masks within the month - no ifs or buts

‘but are Qantas actually doing anything useful?

What happened to all the nutters in the streets carrying on about how the government wanted to keep everyone in lockdown?

Did the oxygen finally make it to their brain?

What happened to all the nutters in the streets carrying on about how the government wanted to keep everyone in lockdown?

Did the oxygen finally make it to their brain?
Dunno but the northern beaches have lockdown fatigue already and are over it according to their Mayor

Been off for a while.... and most will know I'm no fan of Dan.

But Scott apparently said those Norwegians were end of life anyway.... (the 29 that died with the Pfizer vaccine)

I'm sorry Scott I look after a 90 year old he's still doing okish within himself, I don't want you to inject him with a vaccine your prepared for him to happily die from. Seriously Scott this is Soylent Green territory... well worse your prepared to inject them so you can get rid of aged care.

BTW your hillsong laws you want to introduce to Australia on divorce. Get proverbialed. See I can be nice.

Frydenberg is undergoing an image makeover after his vicious attack on Andrews about opening up Victoria before it was safe to do so. Pictures in The Age showing him as a happy family man ‘we did home schooling too’, sorry but you are still dead to me Josh.

I think I speak for all curmudgeons when I say that if I read one more inane, American style platitude on the internet like "we can do it" or "together we will come through" or ******* "we got this", I won't be able to hold back. We're staying at home for a while with ample food, running water and wifi... we're not going over the top at the ******* Somme.

Just got an email from Justin Reeve with the same bullshit message...ffs

This defies logic. We have a group of, what, 60-80 players and staff who's broader movements can be reasonably controlled, can congregate in the club/change rooms but only train in groups of 10. Are they scheduling these groups to finish training and shower, dress, leave the building? Are they sanitizing the change rooms after each group of 10 finish?

The thing is, each club has 80 odd people involved. These 80 can isolate themselves and their movements between home and training with limited risk. And for what? 6 new cases yesterday. Similar number to every day over the past month. Sure, have restrictions, but a little common sense wouldn't go astray.

I guess we have to be seen to comply.

Having been living in Europe for the past year and hearing the old common sense tropes about "sensible restrictions" and "control the spread" without draconian measures - and look at where it has landed them. Shitloads of dead people and an absolute economic dumpster fire. There is no way of escaping the negative impact of a global pandemic - no way. You will have to make sacrifices at some point in time. Aussies are super lucky to have the weeks of normalcy i.e., going to restaurants, hanging out with friends, visiting grandparents (and not being worried you might kill them) and the price you pay is the occasional hard lockdown. You wanna go the soft restrictions route - all you see is restrictions fatigue, dead old people (and some young) and a cactus economy.

This early lockdown will save the season and training will be back to normal in no time at all. In the meantime, we all have to deal with the lack of quality training reportage. Sad but necessary imo.

Cheers

Having been living in Europe for the past year and hearing the old common sense tropes about "sensible restrictions" and "control the spread" without draconian measures - and look at where it has landed them. Shitloads of dead people and an absolute economic dumpster fire. There is no way of escaping the negative impact of a global pandemic - no way. You will have to make sacrifices at some point in time. Aussies are super lucky to have the weeks of normalcy i.e., going to restaurants, hanging out with friends, visiting grandparents (and not being worried you might kill them) and the price you pay is the occasional hard lockdown. You wanna go the soft restrictions route - all you see is restrictions fatigue, dead old people (and some young) and a cactus economy.

This early lockdown will save the season and training will be back to normal in no time at all. In the meantime, we all have to deal with the lack of quality training reportage. Sad but necessary imo.

Cheers
We live on an island
We should be able to deal with this a lot easier and better than Europe

Cheers

Genuine question, how will the early lock down save the season? The lock down now doesn't preclude a lock down later, particularly given that Victoria doesn't seem to be able to resume taking international arrivals without cases leaking into the community.

Also, sad to hear that you live in Europe surrounded by so many cases - but Europe has significantly more cross-national travel, it is far more densely populated and almost every nation shares multiple land borders with other nations. What is sensible in Australia is different to where you are. Could do without the guilt trip.

Britain is also an island. Look how well that has worked for them.

Ah yes, 66 million people on an island barely larger than Victoria. What a perfectly logical and reasonable comparison.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah yes, 66 million people on an island barely larger than Victoria. What a perfectly logical and reasonable comparison.
Well, as far as 'we're an island', (to which he was responding) it is a reasonable comparison. The implication being that isolated borders surrounded by water immediately brings protection.

Which only goes to show that being an island is NOT the chief factor in why Covid may or may not spread within a population.

Last edited:
Without getting bogged down in a brewing covid shitfight - the first vaccines start going out next week with hotel quarantine workers at the front of the queue. Being that all outbreaks over the last 6-9 have stemmed from HQ - this is a huge step forward. If quarantine workers are protected the risk of spread from HQ will lessen dramatically. As such - I like our chances of having a mostly normal and fan attended season.

Without getting bogged down in a brewing covid shitfight - the first vaccines start going out next week with hotel quarantine workers at the front of the queue. Being that all outbreaks over the last 6-9 have stemmed from HQ - this is a huge step forward. If quarantine workers are protected the risk of spread from HQ will lessen dramatically. As such - I like our chances of having a mostly normal and fan attended season.

The vaccine doesn't stop transmission mate. It gives your immunity a boost. Quarantine works can still spread the virus even after being vaccinated.

The vaccine doesn't stop transmission mate. It gives your immunity a boost. Quarantine works can still spread the virus even after being vaccinated.
Are you sure about this?

My (limited) knowledge of how vaccines work is that, in allowing your immune system to recognise the virus immediately, it stops it from being able to take hold in your body, meaning you are nowhere near the same risk of transmitting.

Are you sure about this?

My (limited) knowledge of how vaccines work is that, in allowing your immune system to recognise the virus immediately, it stops it from being able to take hold in your body, meaning you are nowhere near the same risk of transmitting.

100% sure mate. Sadly.

Last edited:
100% sure mate. Sadly.

I was misguided yes - but you can’t be 100% sure either. They still don’t know if the vaccine prevents you from transmitting the virus however as there wasn’t time to test that. Let’s cross our fingers then.

Genuine question, how will the early lock down save the season? The lock down now doesn't preclude a lock down later, particularly given that Victoria doesn't seem to be able to resume taking international arrivals without cases leaking into the community.

Also, sad to hear that you live in Europe surrounded by so many cases - but Europe has significantly more cross-national travel, it is far more densely populated and almost every nation shares multiple land borders with other nations. What is sensible in Australia is different to where you are. Could do without the guilt trip.

Wasn't intended to be a guilt trip but just saying it's a global issue and to think we get out unscathed I think is misguided. You choose a s**t sandwich either way, and I think the s**t sandwich of occasional hard lockdown is better than the options touted by Morrison early in the piece i.e. learning to live with the virus in the community. I think Australia and NZ have been shining examples, but they also have geographic advantages obviously.

But, policy in Europe has still been a cluster*. Anyone remember when 3000 fans from Madrid were allowed to travel to Liverpool to watch a football match when Madrid was the biggest hotspot in Europe. Or where I lived, the Czech Republic, who went from the strongest possible lockdown to testing free travel and no masks... it went to s**t pretty quick. It's very hard to control the uncontrollable and soft measures that rely on people doing the right thing or taking individual responsibility have been proven not to work for the collective.

I am glad that we will be able to see footy this year, even if it remains disrupted and this is done safely with less community transmission.

Anyway, sorry for sparking the tangent. Back to footy?

Wasn't intended to be a guilt trip but just saying it's a global issue and to think we get out unscathed I think is misguided. You choose a sh*t sandwich either way, and I think the sh*t sandwich of occasional hard lockdown is better than the options touted by Morrison early in the piece i.e. learning to live with the virus in the community. I think Australia and NZ have been shining examples, but they also have geographic advantages obviously.

But, policy in Europe has still been a clusterfu**. Anyone remember when 3000 fans from Madrid were allowed to travel to Liverpool to watch a football match when Madrid was the biggest hotspot in Europe. Or where I lived, the Czech Republic, who went from the strongest possible lockdown to testing free travel and no masks... it went to sh*t pretty quick. It's very hard to control the uncontrollable and soft measures that rely on people doing the right thing or taking individual responsibility have been proven not to work for the collective.

I am glad that we will be able to see footy this year, even if it remains disrupted and this is done safely with less community transmission.

Anyway, sorry for sparking the tangent. Back to footy?

Don’t apologise - you had real lived experience of European covid response and your points didn’t warrant the curt responses you copped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back