Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

From memory it was the same people that discovered the Houston Hoax
So you have nothing, just made stuff up, lied and tossed a "propaganda" in there because reasons.

Empty chair.

Comparing Federal and State politics/politicians is like comparing an orange to an apple. Both fruit, but completely different.

Also, the "inaction" some are frustrated by is (IMO) more a reflection of how busy they actually are... Based on what I've seen and heard I'd take the bet most of our elected leaders are flooded under trying to navigate through this as best they can. I mean, have you seen Dan Andrews from the start of the pandemic to today? The man is clearly working his arse off. No matter the side of politics you stand on, I can't see how you could argue he is "inactive". Likewise for Scomo. Scomo in particular may not be fronting media conference after conference; or having interview after interview, but I bet you he is also flat out trying to work our country's way through this clusterf**k of a situation. I'd hate to be in that position honestly... No matter what they do there will be large sections of the population vocally opposed one way or the other.

And I hate that "politics" can divide us like can be seen in this thread. Emotions are high, sure... After all, this is our lives this is impacting. But, in my opinion, I think we need to focus on following the best health expert advice we have at hand, maintaining communication and supporting each other through this. Fighting, blaming, accusing, anger, hate etc... Are all outcomes of frustration. We're all frustrated. No-one wants a pandemic. We all want "normal" back. We all think we know the best way there but ultimately, there are professionals who not only know far more than you or I about aspects we are debating but are also working so very very hard in trying to get us through this... They need our support, not our frustration.

From the survey discussion see below. I would guess we are about the same here in Australia if asked.

The graphs are fascinating.

Why is the msm running such disinformation of what is actually happening it is shameful.

MISPERCEPTIONS OF RISK
Six months into this pandemic, Americans still dramatically misunderstand the risk of dying from COVID-19:

1. On average, Americans believe that people aged 55 and older account for just over half of total COVID-19 deaths; the actual figure is 92%.
  2. Americans believe that people aged 44 and younger account for about 30% of total deaths; the actual figure is 2.7%.
  3. Americans overestimate the risk of death from COVID-19 for people aged 24 and younger by a factor of 50; and they think the risk for people aged 65 and older is half of what it actually is (40% vs 80%).
These results are nothing short of stunning. Mortality data have shown from the very beginning that the COVID-19 virus age-discriminates, with deaths overwhelmingly concentrated in people who are older and suffer comorbidities. This is perhaps the only uncontroversial piece of evidence we have about this virus. Nearly all US fatalities have been among people older than 55; and yet a large number of Americans are still convinced that the risk to those younger than 55 is almost the same as to those who are older.

From the survey discussion see below. I would guess we are about the same here in Australia if asked.

The graphs are fascinating.

Why is the msm running such disinformation of what is actually happening it is shameful.

MISPERCEPTIONS OF RISK
Six months into this pandemic, Americans still dramatically misunderstand the risk of dying from COVID-19:

1. On average, Americans believe that people aged 55 and older account for just over half of total COVID-19 deaths; the actual figure is 92%.
  2. Americans believe that people aged 44 and younger account for about 30% of total deaths; the actual figure is 2.7%.
  3. Americans overestimate the risk of death from COVID-19 for people aged 24 and younger by a factor of 50; and they think the risk for people aged 65 and older is half of what it actually is (40% vs 80%).
These results are nothing short of stunning. Mortality data have shown from the very beginning that the COVID-19 virus age-discriminates, with deaths overwhelmingly concentrated in people who are older and suffer comorbidities. This is perhaps the only uncontroversial piece of evidence we have about this virus. Nearly all US fatalities have been among people older than 55; and yet a large number of Americans are still convinced that the risk to those younger than 55 is almost the same as to those who are older.

So people who have clearly not done a single modicum of research about anything to do with this are completely wrong in their undecucated assessment of COVID?

I agree.

So people who have clearly not done a single modicum of research about anything to do with this are completely wrong in their undecucated assessment of COVID?

I agree.
Not at all.

That is just a silly and lazy take. That is a wide spread poll after months of the pandemic. The people you are talking about are a representative portion of the total population.

Jobs destroyed, business ruined, kids not at school, mass disruption, 170,000 dead. But no one paid any attention to "why" is the take?

With literal wall to wall coverage by the msm and politicians you are suggesting the population as a whole is uneducated. I like to think they have been lied to but opinions vary of course.

And the government response to the facts and actualities is garbage.

It is not hard.

Well, yes.

The statistical difference between mortality rates when the health response is controlled 1% and when it’s not 3.5% is 2.5%. 2.5% of 25M Australians is 625000 extra deaths. Conclusion: the UK professor has NFI

I don't think he's not wrong at all, but I think it's revisionism by using knowledge we now know and strategies we now have and then just saying 'well we should have done that from the start'.

If it was that simple that would have been the case, he even admits that there were no alternatives then and still very few alternatives now.

There isn't a single country that has come out of this clean.

This is for the people who put s**t on me for saying the weather affected virus spread. It does and is an important element. The science is there to see

I agree.

The hide of those people to just recognise the the threat, make the most of their own situation while respecting and supporting the right to life of all people, not just the under 60s. 😉

Not at all.

That is just a silly and lazy take. That is a wide spread poll after months of the pandemic. The people you are talking about are a representative portion of the total population.

Jobs destroyed, business ruined, kids not at school, mass disruption, 170,000 dead. But no one paid any attention to "why" is the take?

With literal wall to wall coverage by the msm and politicians you are suggesting the population as a whole is uneducated. I like to think they have been lied to but opinions vary of course.

And the government response to the facts and actualities is garbage.

It is not hard.

MSM and plenty of politicians job is to lie and manipulate so you are right there. MSM doesn't even really need to exist as an informative tool anymore, it's mostly propaganda by whoever pulls the strings at whatever outlet you're on. Misinformation is it's own pandemic.

That's why you have to actually do research and dig for information and contradictions if you actually care, and I personally don't reckon a lot of people are doing that at all. It's easier to just be informed by someone else, and it's first come first serve with whatever they are telling you.

In a global issue where every country in the world is producing information or science, and you might be in lockdown with hours of free time, it's your resposnsibility to stay informed yourself imo.

The statistical difference between mortality rates when the health response is controlled 1% and when it’s not 3.5% is 2.5%. 2.5% of 25M Australians is 625000 extra deaths. Conclusion: the UK professor has NFI

Oh but he does say things Daily Express want to print.
I heard they sell less copy than the Herald Sun? Must be a highly respected and trusted news source. I’m sure all the staff at FranklinTempleton read it 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think he's not wrong at all, but I think it's revisionism by using knowledge we now know and strategies we now have and then just saying 'well we should have done that from the start'.

If it was that simple that would have been the case, he even admits that there were no alternatives then and still very few alternatives now.

There isn't a single country that has come out of this clean.
Didn't say there was a country clean.

So tell me again why Victoria is locking down for year? How is revisionism to say - gosh that didn't really work let's go to plan B - because he does actually say there is a different path and it is actually one that could start right now with some simple rule changes.

Repeating the same mistake because of either political opportunism or denying the facts seems stupid though.

I will leave the little science deniers and expert cherry pickers alone so you mods have less work. 🤣😂🤣:laughing:🤣😂🤣😂😂😂🤣

MSM and plenty of politicians job is to lie and manipulate so you are right there. MSM doesn't even really need to exist as an informative tool anymore, it's mostly propaganda by whoever pulls the strings at whatever outlet you're on. Misinformation is it's own pandemic.

That's why you have to actually do research and dig for information and contradictions if you actually care, and I personally don't reckon a lot of people are doing that at all. It's easier to just be informed by someone else, and it's first come first serve with whatever they are telling you.

In a global issue where every country in the world is producing information or science, and you might be in lockdown with hours of free time, it's your resposnsibility to stay informed yourself imo.

Indeed lies were perpetrated at outset when it was said masks don’t help. That was to manipulate in order to preserve masks for medical Staff. Now we have plenty all of a sudden mask use is effective. It ALWAYS was.

Imo the most dire need is to develop strategies so aged care facilities are free of the virus. restricting who may enter. daily testing of staff. restriction of staff movement off duty.

The only way the virus gets in there is by a relative or staff member. restrict all visits. Load responsibilities on to staff for prevention measures. if there is a drug that prevents it amongst the first people to receive should be aged care workers.

This one is for those that think an efficacious and effective vaccine is just going to happen within 1 year. It isn't. The history of vaccines tells us that. SARS still does not have a vaccine. Vaccines take an average of 10 years to develop to potential.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-08...llpox-polio-ebola-sars-covid-19/12574204?nw=0

My most recent reading is that indeed an effective vaccine will be available no later than January. The only problem is that few vaccines if any will be able to stop the throat infection. That is small price though if progression will be halted. The article I read confirmed history of viruses and vaccines but said that at no time in history had such a monumental effort been made on world wide basis to produce a vaccine and so quickly

My most recent reading is that indeed an effective vaccine will be available no later than January. The only problem is that few vaccines if any will be able to stop the throat infection. That is small price though if progression will be halted. The article I read confirmed history of viruses and vaccines but said that at no time in history had such a monumental effort been made on world wide basis to produce a vaccine and so quickly
Crazy what the world can do when we put aside petty differences and work together

*longingly looks up to the stars*

4 years of on/off lockdowns?

Yer i cant imagine how that will go down.

Some will lap it up and seem to love the government controlling their lives to keep them safe

4 years of on/off lockdowns?

Yer i cant imagine how that will go down.
I don't think we will need on and off lockdowns. I think if we can get and keep cases under 10 a day we will be fine long term. What we did wrong last time was come out the last S3 without masks. Combine that with the HQ situation (which may have been mitigated if mask wearing was a thing) and here is where we are.

The idea of the first lockdown was to keep it under control and we did that but then we made mistakes coming out and we had to lockdown again to keep it under wraps. If we can get it to those May-June numbers and exit this lockdown and keep them there then we can start to open up again and go about our lives as best we can.

Does this mean we shake hands with strangers less? Yes. Does this mean I'll have to do more cleaning at work with communal gear and spaces at work? Yes. Does this mean I will likely need to wear a mask when social distancing isn't able to be done? Most likely.

We will get 3rd and 4th waves of this thing no doubt. But the less people in hospitals and dying the better.

Call me an arsehole but I'd rather not see people dying in waiting rooms because there are no ICU beds available, you know?

May as well peddle some propaganda myself

It's fair to add a 'so far' to the end of the article I think. But good news none the less.

no increase in deaths in Victoria full stop if you check the stats, very good news

Remove this Banner Ad

Back