Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

Record number of deaths... doesn't hold up much about omnicon being milder

Booster booked for the 22nd of Feb. Can't get here fast enough

In Australia:
Delta wave we had a peak case day of 2,700 cases and a peak death day of 27 deaths.
≤ 1% death rate.

Omicron wave we have so far a had an official peak of 154,000 cases so far - and I think everyone acknowlegdes it's much higher - and a peak death day so far of 57 deaths.
≤ 0.04% death rate.

In the UK:
Delta wave they had a peak case day of 49,000 cases and a peak death day of 292 deaths.
≤ 0.6% death rate.

Omicron wave they had a peak case day of 218,000 official cases and a peak death day so far of 398 deaths.
≤ 0.18% death rate.

It's significantly milder in terms of death.

The peak UK death came 8 days after their peak case day so our peak death day will be over the next few days and should start dropping again in theory.

In Australia:
Delta wave we had a peak case day of 2,700 cases and a peak death day of 27 deaths.
≤ 1% death rate.

Omicron wave we have so far a had an official peak of 154,000 cases so far - and I think everyone acknowlegdes it's much higher - and a peak death day so far of 57 deaths.
≤ 0.04% death rate.

In the UK:
Delta wave they had a peak case day of 49,000 cases and a peak death day of 292 deaths.
≤ 0.6% death rate.

Omicron wave they had a peak case day of 218,000 official cases and a peak death day so far of 398 deaths.
≤ 0.18% death rate.

The peak UK death came 8 days after their peak case day so our peak death day will be over the next few days and should start dropping again in theory.
A bloke i know died last Saturday with respirartry issues and obese and he contracted covid and was 180 kg

In Australia:
≤ 1% death rate.

≤ 0.04% death rate.

In the UK:
≤ 0.6% death rate.

≤ 0.18% death rate.

* I hope you are right. I appreciate you taking time to do the maths :)

In Australia:
≤ 1% death rate.

≤ 0.04% death rate.

In the UK:
≤ 0.6% death rate.

≤ 0.18% death rate.

I know a few are sceptical but the Dr John videos are excellent and show graphs of each variant for cases, hospitalisations, deaths right throughout the world including us. The one today suggests we are at peak of cases and starting to turn down and confirms UNIFORMLY your contention Omicron is much more mild in effect. Our hospitalisations have gone up as has our deaths but not proportionally to the spread. The fact we have over 700k active cases and only 407 ICU confirms that also. The one anomaly appears to be USA in terms of deaths and hospitalisations but is argued that is because of massive levels of co-morbidity there

I will be getting the booster when I'm eligible. Omicron might be less likely to cause death, but it can still be nasty if you get it, and we don't know if the lower death rate is partly due to the fact that many people have already had two doses.

At this stage it looks like three doses might be enough, but who knows?

I will be getting the booster when I'm eligible. Omicron might be less likely to cause death, but it can still be nasty if you get it, and we don't know if the lower death rate is partly due to the fact that many people have already had two doses.

Testing has shown that toward the end of your 4 mths post double vaccination it's like 43% protection and after you have the booster it jumps to 98%.

The lower death rate most certainly is part attributable to double vaccination borne out by the fact the ICU cases and deaths are still 50% or more unvaccinated when they now represent only 5% of population.

I was due the booster on 31/01 which has been brought forward only a week with Dr approval. I get it on Sat

Close to half of the AFL’s players, excepting those from the two Western Australian teams, have tested positive to COVID-19 over summer.

Among the 14 clubs in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland, the latest estimate of the number of players who had COVID-19 over the summer break - the majority over Christmas and New Year - is about half of those clubs’ playing lists, or an average of 20 or more per club, according to well-placed AFL competition sources.

Close to half of the AFL’s players, excepting those from the two Western Australian teams, have tested positive to COVID-19 over summer.

Among the 14 clubs in Victoria, New South Wales and Queensland, the latest estimate of the number of players who had COVID-19 over the summer break - the majority over Christmas and New Year - is about half of those clubs’ playing lists, or an average of 20 or more per club, according to well-placed AFL competition sources.
Sounds like most 20yo that i know .

Reckon we are in for many years of annual or even 6 monthly boosters. As there is more research time I imagine they will get more effective if they can keep up with the mutations.
This isn't going away.

Reckon we are in for many years of annual or even 6 monthly boosters. As there is more research time I imagine they will get more effective if they can keep up with the mutations.
This isn't going away.
In a perverse way, I think its good that the players have tested positive and got over it. Better to have had it than not before the season starts. Hopefully it gives the players whatever it takes to prevent them getting COVID again or reduced likelihood.
I want an uninterrupted season if that can ever be.
I want a season of footy.

This isn't going away.

The consensus of science community is that Omicron is the end of pandemic and start of endemicity. Whether endemicity will require all to get boosters or not remains to be seen. Just as likely that it will be like the flu where the vulnerable get an annual shot and the rest fight annual spikes if they must with built up immunity. Will be interesting to see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

48832 new cases Aust
424 in ICU
141 ventilated.

Case numbers dropping on trend. ICU pretty static as are ventilated. Hard to believe but we may be past the peak already. Total active cases just over 500k. Just the other day it exceeded 700k. Strong evidence of the trend

Our overall death rate since start of the pandemic is in the lowest 2 or 3 of countries worldwide and those that seem comparable are questionable recording because of location. Credit to health services and government I have to say

Last edited:
Djokovic fallout from the covid deportation fiasco. The idiot is now talking about suing the Aust Govt for "ill treatment' by being held in a quarantine hotel not to his standard with fleas and maggots.

The damages claim $6M being what he would have won had he been allowed to stay. lol ...... what a tool

I thought Scomo was magnanimous saying the govt may not impose the 3 year exclusion. Seemingly Djokpvic hasn't learnt his lesson. Get vaccinated tool. If I was Scomo I'd be making an announcement that Djokovic will receive NO leniency regarding the 3 year exclusion. We don't want entitled fwits like him coming here.

Addendum:

For him to be successful he would have to prove with certainty he had a right to stay and that he WOULD have won. Ie prove both the cancellation of his visa the first time and the Minister's use of discretion both wrong. That isn't going to happen so effectively he is piss*ng in the wind to cause international damage to Aust.....probably without proof unless he took a bogus picture of a flea and or a maggot. But BOTH had greater right to be here than him. Novak Novak Novak , dude, get vaccinated

Last edited:
Djokovic fallout from the covid deportation fiasco. The idiot is now talking about suing the Aust Govt for "ill treatment' by being held in a quarantine hotel not to his standard with fleas and maggots.

The damages claim $6M being what he would have won had he been allowed to stay. lol ...... what a tool

I thought Scomo was magnanimous saying the govt may not impose the 3 year exclusion. Seemingly Djokpvic hasn't learnt his lesson. Get vaccinated tool. If I was Scomo I'd be making an announcement that Djokovic will receive NO leniency regarding the 3 year exclusion. We don't want entitled fwits like him coming here.
Enough here already .

Addendum:

For him to be successful he would have to prove with certainty he had a right to stay and that he WOULD have won. Ie prove both the cancellation of his visa the first time and the Minister's use of discretion both wrong. That isn't going to happen so effectively he is piss*ng in the wind to cause international damage to Aust.....probably without proof unless he took a bogus picture of a flea and or a maggot. But BOTH had greater right to be here than him. Novak Novak Novak , dude, get vaccinated
Spain where has a residence has said he should be vaccinated
France where the major is on has said he will not get in.
Grow up and get a vax.
It protects you from giving it to us u igit

What is the likelihood that Tilley didn't discuss the Fed Govt letter with Djokovic? This whole plan was hatched to try to deny Govt the capacity to stop him. So chance is ZERO he did t know. He is totally complicit in trying to deceive but got found out by Aust Govt who had greater resolve. And now doesn't want to pay the bill for the cases. That is in my view the more likely reason to argue he is suing because he won't win $6m. But the damages of staying in a flea infected hotel is maybe the opportunity cost of staying elsewhere $2k maybe??? Yet the threat of a claim if it can be proved will enable an argument to add on the legal costs that would arise and provide an argument to negotiate down on what he owes. He clearly won't be paying. Don't allow the scumbag back here I say.

What is galling is the role of Tilley and TA actively seeking to fraudulently misrepresent visa cause to circumvent border controls designed to save lives. Give me five minutes with the a-hole and I'll make him realise public sentiment around that approach

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back