Here is confirmed cases dateline

Mar 23. 1249
Mar 30. 719
Apr 6. 245
Apr 13. 100
Apr 20. 45
Apr 27. 37
May 4. 19

Many states are nil and have stopped local transmission. Those that haven’t are heading there. The ever declining numbers prove that. seemingly the decision to open up now then is because the cost of $4b pw loss is considered more damaging than a virus now essentially under control especially if we maintain control. if only a handful get it each week and probability that 98% of those survive then the decision being made is an economic one not a medical one. That decision is ok providing there is assurance it will not again get away from us. Imo their thinking is that it won’t and they will maintain control.

History is a pointer to future. lockdown control has demonstrated that the virus can be controlled here more than anywhere. the uncertainty that mired its emergence is being demystified. Kudos to our medical people

Okay that's fine, Australian society goes back to normal, the economy is revived somewhat, loved ones can see each other, athletes can travel interstate etc.

But what about our borders? I am not keen on tourists coming in from all over the world, including the US, UK etc where they are a long way from handling this thing. Seems like an effective way for that healthy zero to become much worse. Is it possible for our tourism industry to just lie dormant for a few years?

I haven’t seen any evidence of an open mind here? You dismissed a theory as rubbish straight away

Think your testing needs work

Nature and economies have a way of creating balance so his comment that things are factored in is correct. Nothing new there. He should have left it there but didn’t. He elaborated that the lessons to learn are that the higher you go the more incompetent people and organisations are and the reverse is true that those in small villages know what to do. If you care to look there are any number reference materials that tell us the opposite ....pyramid of expertise of knowledge or learning etc. there are no absolutes of course but essentially they all suggest that there is a tapering to a peak and at the top of that pyramid is competency. Those people gravitate to positions of importance and power and are more prone than the average joe to impart competence.

Those in the wet market knew exactly what to do in creating the pandemic by unhealthy choices and starting up again immediately afterwards not having learnt a single thing to counter their ignorance. Very competent of them but maybe it’s my closed mindedness

Last edited:
Okay that's fine, Australian society goes back to normal, the economy is revived somewhat, loved ones can see each other, athletes can travel interstate etc.

But what about our borders? I am not keen on tourists coming in from all over the world, including the US, UK etc where they are a long way from handling this thing. Seems like an effective way for that healthy zero to become much worse. Is it possible for our tourism industry to just lie dormant for a few years?

Borders closed I would suggest for some time until treatments and vaccines become available. Tourism will be devastated sure. everyone will need to adapt

Borders closed I would suggest for some time until treatments and vaccines become available. Tourism will be devastated sure. everyone will need to adapt

That’s where the Trans Tasman hub might come into it. You’d assume domestic tourism will open within a couple of weeks

That’s where the Trans Tasman hub might come into it. You’d assume domestic tourism will open within a couple of weeks

Domestic tourism is the way to go anyway. I'm not sure why anyone would even feel the need to travel overseas when you have Australia to explore. It's the greatest country in the world.

Edit: oh my god re-reading that makes me sound like a red-neck

Domestic tourism is the way to go anyway. I'm not sure why anyone would even feel the need to travel overseas when you have Australia to explore. It's the greatest country in the world.

Personally I’d rather go overseas if I’m going on a holiday. I have seen what I want to see within Australia. Personally I’ll wait till the borders open again

Been travelling around Aus a lot the last few years. Plenty of great places to see and so many more I want to go to. In the last few years I've visited Melbourne, Canberra, Tassie, Far Northern QLD, Northern NSW & plenty of spots around Sydney. On my list are the Snowy Mountains, Northern WA, Alice Springs, Kakadu National Park, Kangaroo Island & Lord Howe Island. The main reasons I haven't been to those places on my bucket list - cost. The main reason most Aussies would choose to go overseas than visit locally - cost. If I'm going to spend a bucket of money I'd rather spend it on a trip to Korea or Japan than to see the NT

Been travelling around Aus a lot the last few years. Plenty of great places to see and so many more I want to go to. In the last few years I've visited Melbourne, Canberra, Tassie, Far Northern QLD, Northern NSW & plenty of spots around Sydney. On my list are the Snowy Mountains, Northern WA, Alice Springs, Kakadu National Park, Kangaroo Island & Lord Howe Island. The main reasons I haven't been to those places on my bucket list - cost. The main reason most Aussies would choose to go overseas than visit locally - cost. If I'm going to spend a bucket of money I'd rather spend it on a trip to Korea or Japan than to see the NT
Totally. Tourism operators in Australia really need to rethink domestic pricing strategies if they want to survive this.

True to their promise or should I say threat the Chinese government have suspended trade from 4 Australian abbatoires over labelling issue. this follows scomos suggestion an independent investigation determine the lessons from this pandemic.

stop eating strange animals!!!!! because people die when you do you fools

I sincerely hope scomo escalates. The Chinese government are scum

Alarmed that some MPs are calling for ending JobKeeper early. The scheme is not perfect but I shudder to think about what the unemployment rate would be like without it

To each their own I guess. I'm a big nature fan so I am very happy just making my way up (and down) the West coast with my car and a tent, but you make a point that with petrol + camping sites combined, the 'backyard getaway' ends up about as costly as an overseas trip. I have done the West coast though three times and would highly recommend, and not just because I am a West Aussie!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought the government was there to help it's people? I feel like many pollies forget that

Some are obsessed with bringing the budget into surplus - it's important to be fiscally responsible, but this program is needed IMO

Some are obsessed with bringing the budget into surplus - it's important to be fiscally responsible, but this program is needed IMO

Please don't equate surplus with fiscal responsibility.

I didn't!
i dont think our budget will see surplus for 10+ years at minimum. fiscal responsibility was thrown out the window to regenerate an economy on the skids. we are not in a good financial shape.

Oh dear... the economy is in bad shape. Does that mean the sun won’t come up tomorrow?
No, it just means hundreds of thousands of Australians having their lives and livelihoods destroyed, losing their homes, and about 500 million people worldwide moving into extreme poverty.

Everything will be fine.

No, it just means hundreds of thousands of Australians having their lives and livelihoods destroyed, losing their homes, and about 500 million people worldwide moving into extreme poverty.

Everything will be fine.

Wait... so more people are going to learn what 3 million Australians knew about before Covid... how to live in poverty?
I’m not wishing that on anybody but there is a bigger picture that presents the need for fundamental change to the system rather than restoration of one that, in the capital of the free enterprise world under the guidance of that most perfect of humans, sees 30 million people living in poverty.
Forgive me that I don’t share your willingness to hypothesise about how desperate things are in the financial world, or about how that exacerbates the impact of Covid, for now my children are tucked away securely under my wing, my veggie garden is beginning to yield some lovely produce, the chooks are laying plenty of eggs and the sun will rise tomorrow... unless The Don finds a way to turn it into a business opportunity for his corrupt cronies and capitalist devotees.
P.S. Everything will be fine when the world wakes up and grasps Dr Michael Burry’s recommendations for the use of hydroxychloroquine 👍🏻

States keeping borders closed with a handful of cases has no legal justification anymore. It’s now costing thousands of jobs in the hospitality industry. Poor leadership and decision making by the states.

The hypocrisy is that if you’re a mining billionaire you can wander in and out of a state without the 14 day quarantine period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back