Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

That’s good no use wallowing in self pity. Go to the beach and watch the sunrise and make that his birthday gift....or download a free computer game .......or give him a homemade gift certificate about what he will get when available. Own your predicament be positive and take steps. Love is an easy and most valuable gift. Do something for them.

So they’ve applied for job seeker. did they go to their bank for a temporary extension until job seeker comes through? Did they approach salvos for a food hamper? Organise a garage sale? you can whinge and wallow or you can be proactive and positive. Simple really.

No one has entitlement to anything in life.

It’s pretty clear to see who has a sense of entitlement and never had to do it tough. Spit a dummy because someone takes your toy away. Honestly.
What a load of s**t, from a self entitled older accountant. Open your eyes, there are a lot of people in the s**t who have been ignored through no fault of their own which I've attempted to explain to you before.Your naivety about the real world astounds me, thank God your not my accountant.

Er ah pretty sure I don’t.

The fact I took a dim view of blatant ageism is linked to this discussion how exactly?
The federal governments taken that view now don't you think? Gonna sue Scomo et al now?

A livelihood which will in short term be replaced with job seeker which will upon 3-6 mths convert to new employment with old work or new. You own your predicament. Good start

And yeah I’ve pretty much went about 5 years doing many of the things I’ve mentioned trying to pay down massive debt with insufficient income under constant threat of bankruptcy raising 3 kids trying to prevent too much damage from a mentally ill and physically and emotionally abusive ex all the while trying to protect my kids with support of Docs as it was then. you can whinge and whine or you get on with what you need to do making compromises and sacrifices being adaptable and committed but always positive because that’s the only way you you will get through. So yes suck it up

That’s the sort of attitude that leads to mental health issues and suicide , I thought I lacked compassion

But you take the cake

What a load of s**t, from a self entitled older accountant. Open your eyes, there are a lot of people in the s**t who have been ignored through no fault of their own which I've attempted to explain to you before.Your naivety about the real world astounds me, thank God your not my accountant.

It’s almost as though anyone who is in a poor situation is there because they chose to be

great post I owe you a bottle of peel estate shiraz next time your in Perth (I'm pretty sure it was you who said you liked it)

great post I owe you a bottle of peel estate shiraz next time your in Perth (I'm pretty sure it was you who said you liked it)
Yes was me bc, your on with that invite. Was meant to be in your neck of the woods early April, not to be.

You’ve tried to explain to me ....on the basis youre right and know. Ok. Wow thats incredibly arrogant. Your financial background is what?

As an ‘older’ accountant with 40 years experience there aren’t many financial predicaments I haven’t been exposed to so trust me I’m anything but naive, quite the contrary. In fact that knowledge and understanding allows me to know with some certainty that the vast majority of situations have answers or solutions.....and I know most of them tailored to whatever predicament arises. Happens day to day for 40 years

A client facing bankruptcy owing about $320k recently with virtually nil income negligible assets and only the family home (wife’s name ) sought me to resolve the situation and did. I negotiated away all but about $13k on the basis he was a judgment proof debtor and they had better accept that $13k or they’d get nothing if HE declared bankrupt. I counselled him to legitimately use his status against them. They did. Had little choice really. I played them and knew how to and the client is eternally grateful and because im such an entitled person I did that work about $5k on time cost for NIL to make sure they could feed their kids. That right I chose to help my clients as I often do in that way. It’s a little way I give back to the world that seemingly I’m so naive about. Don’t presume to know anything about me.

I find it staggering that there are so many that seem to drop their bundle simply because there are hurdles. Smh.

I empathise will all human beings but I’m not going to engage in this end of the world crap that so many want to embrace. Simply misplaced sentiment

I no longer accept new clients. so kinda academic. But if that comment was an attempt to disparage me because you’re frustrated I don’t share the end Of world beliefs then that’s a bit childish don’t you think? At the least all clients need to respect what I do. That’s minimum. The ones I have do because of the sacrifices I make for them

Last edited:
You’ve tried to explain to me ....on the basis youre right and know. Ok. Wow thats incredibly arrogant. Your financial background is what?

As an ‘older’ accountant with 40 years experience there aren’t many financial predicaments I haven’t been exposed to so trust me I’m anything but naive, quite the contrary. In fact that knowledge and understanding allows me to know with some certainty that the vast majority of situations have answers or solutions.....and I know most of them tailored to whatever predicament arises. Happens day to day for 40 years

A client facing bankruptcy owing about $320k recently with virtually nil income negligible assets and only the family home (wife’s name ) sought me to resolve the situation and did. I negotiated away all but about $13k on the basis he was a judgment proof debtor and they had better accept that $13k or they’d get nothing if HE declared bankrupt. I counselled him to legitimately use his status against them. They did. Had little choice really. I played them and knew how to and the client is eternally grateful and because im such an entitled person I did that work about $5k on time cost for NIL to make sure they could feed their kids. That right I chose to help my clients as I often do in that way. It’s a little way I give back to the world that seemingly I’m so naive about. Don’t presume to know anything about me.

I find it staggering that there are so many that seem to drop their bundle simply because there are hurdles. Smh.

I empathise will all human beings but I’m not going to engage in this end of the world crap that so many want to embrace. Simply misplaced sentiment

I no longer accept new clients. so kinda academic. But if that comment was an attempt to disparage me because you’re frustrated I don’t share the end Of world beliefs then that’s a bit childish don’t you think? At the least all clients need to respect what I do. That’s minimum. The ones I gave do because of the sacrifices I make for them
Once again your own ego, ignorance is blind what you believe or want to see about real people. Couldn't care about some poor prick who's wife makes $350k gets an extra $8k. Might be time to reevaluate who needs your help if your so good at it, from the advice you gave to me which I didn't ask for id be getting a second opinion. And I'm not going to tell some random punter on an Internet forum my qualifications on anything, just saying, you don't know who your talking to, could be a primary student, could be someone ....."...

It’s almost as though anyone who is in a poor situation is there because they chose to be

Not at all. And any financial Jeopardy is challenging and sad. Goes without saying but there’s i said it. But I’m a solutions oriented sort of person and I believe that positivity affects outcome. Being negative about something doent help you extricate yourself. I’m sorry this is offensive to so many

oh well, next year hopefully, I was meant to be at mcg last weekend to watch us play hawks, I'll keep it in the cellar for you.
[/QUOTE
Done.

Not at all. And any financial Jeopardy is challenging and sad. Goes without saying but there’s i said it. But I’m a solutions oriented sort of person and I believe that positivity affects outcome. Being negative about something doent help you extricate yourself. I’m sorry this is offensive to so many
Reality is not negativity.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reality is not negativity.

I just explained that most situations have solutions so being defeatist doesn’t fix it if you have jeopardy. It seems that the point of difference is that most throw their hands in the air with defeatist mindset. I don’t because I accept there are usually solutions. don’t really understand why that makes me so horrible but seems there is consensus. And you think I lack compassion

I just explained that most situations have solutions so being defeatist doesn’t fix it if you have jeopardy. It seems that the point of difference is that most throw their hands in the air with defeatist mindset. I don’t because I accept there are usually solutions. don’t really understand why that makes me so horrible but seems there is consensus. And you think I lack compassion
I do, and an understanding of reality to many, many people.

I no longer accept new clients. so kinda academic. But if that comment was an attempt to disparage me because you’re frustrated I don’t share the end Of world beliefs then that’s a bit childish don’t you think? At the least all clients need to respect what I do. That’s minimum. The ones I have do because of the sacrifices I make for them
Your third paragraph sort of says it all.

His predicament preceded the lockdown and was unrelated. Is a removalist and he told me this week has picked up lots of work and is looking up.
Right, missed the point again.

This has kinda denegrated to the point of you trying to convince me what a bad prison I am. So I think I will leave it there
Not at all, trying to tell you a lot of people are struggling which was out of there control and have not been helped by scomo, you've chosen to ignore their circumstances, an accountant I would have thought would acknowledge that and seek answers, you haven't.

This has kinda denegrated to the point of you trying to convince me what a bad prison I am. So I think I will leave it there
As opposed to what? You telling anyone who's doing it tough financially that it's their own fault, they should toughen up, sell all their possessions in a garage sale and live off jobseeker till they miraculously get their job back when the economy obviously recovers.

Not at all, trying to tell you a lot of people are struggling which was out of there control and have not been helped by scomo, you've chosen to ignore their circumstances, an accountant I would have thought would acknowledge that and seek answers, you haven't.

Look I’m sorry. But It’s a little hard to take your argument seriously when you haven’t yet mastered simple grammar - the difference between ‘their’ and ‘there’ which is about 5th class English if I recall. lol That gives me a clear picture of your vocation.

Losing one’s job is sad but it’s never the end of the world. Having financial uncertainty in the midst of a pandemic is also sad but not the end of the world either. The government at all levels have done an amazing job to provide the best welfare safety net possible in the circumstances. Should be applauded really. Hundreds of billions of $ now filtering in the economy at all levels that WILL cause the economy to rebound as currently occurring and will protect majority. Fear of financial uncertainty and financial obstacle is tangible no doubt. Real emotions with which I empathise. Been there lived it. more than most here I’d suggest. That fear can cause hysteria where people start to lose grip of reality as happening here on this thread. When occurring on mass basis in midst of a pandemic then it can become mass hysteria. Ditto here. People want to blame someone anyone for the fear they are experiencing. It’s called projection and is a defence mechanism. Scomo or even some random accountant on a footy site. If that helps to deal with emotion then that’s good, a little misplaced but successful to allay fear. At days end there will remain an unemployment to deal with and it’s temporary financial impact. You can either crawl off to some corner and suck on a bottle of red being self piteous or try and stay positive and seek practical solutions. That choice is available to all. I know my choice were I unemployed. Fortunately I’m not. Rather I’m raking it in better than normal hand over fist really but that’s a personal aside and partly because I do know the difference between ‘their’ and ‘’there’ not to labour the point too heavily. I digress

I wish all people struggling well. I wish that veil of fear can lift (preferably without the wine and corner) but well either way so they can get perspective. Anything else? Oh yeah I might pat feed and water a stray dog today maybe just after watching the sunrise. Happens daily I’ve heard. At least the dog won’t be hysterical. Stay positive people and stay well

Question: how many of you have given up $5000 simply to help someone struggling in the last month? I’m obviously an ahole for doing that. How devoid of compassion and empathy. Anyone? No? Then shut your mouth. Earn the price of admission to talk to me about compassion or empathy.

Last edited:
Look I’m sorry. But It’s a little hard to take your argument seriously when you haven’t yet mastered simple grammar - the difference between ‘their’ and ‘there’ which is about 5th class English if I recall. lol That gives me a clear picture of your vocation.

Losing one’s job is sad but it’s never the end of the world. Having financial uncertainty in the midst of a pandemic is also sad but not the end of the world either. The government at all levels have done an amazing job to provide the best welfare safety net possible in the circumstances. Should be applauded really. Hundreds of billions of $ now filtering in the economy at all levels that WILL cause the economy to rebound as currently occurring and will protect majority. Fear of financial uncertainty and financial obstacle is tangible no doubt. Real emotions with which I empathise. Been there lived it. more than most here I’d suggest. That fear can cause hysteria where people start to lose grip of reality as happening here on this thread. When occurring on mass basis in midst of a pandemic then it can become mass hysteria. Ditto here. People want to blame someone anyone for the fear they are experiencing. It’s called projection and is a defence mechanism. Scomo or even some random accountant on a footy site. If that helps to deal with emotion then that’s good, a little misplaced but successful to allay fear. At days end there will remain an unemployment to deal with and it’s temporary financial impact. You can either crawl off to some corner and suck on a bottle of red being self piteous or try and stay positive and seek practical solutions. That choice is available to all. I know my choice were I unemployed. Fortunately I’m not. Rather I’m raking it in better than normal hand over fist really but that’s a personal aside and partly because I do know the difference between ‘their’ and ‘’there’ not to labour the point too heavily. I digress

I wish all people struggling well. I wish that veil of fear can lift (preferably without the wine and corner) but well either way so they can get perspective. Anything else? Oh yeah I might pat feed and water a stray dog today maybe just after watching the sunrise. Happens daily I’ve heard. At least the dog won’t be hysterical. Stay positive people and stay well

Question: how many of you have given up $5000 simply to help someone struggling in the last month? I’m obviously an ahole for doing that. How devoid of compassion and empathy. Anyone? No? Then shut your mouth. Earn the price of admission to talk to me about compassion or empathy.

This post just reeks of hypocrisy after the way you lectured those of us that took the opposite view to you when this virus was raging and no one knew where the future was heading.
There are plenty of people out there that don't fit neatly into the government's rescue plan and are suffering and don't have the benefit of a godlike accountant such as yourself to rescue them.
May I suggest you climb down from your high horse and understand that not everyone fits neatly into little boxes and that people have opposing views to you.

And finally to denigrate another poster on making possibly the most common grammatical error in the English language frankly says more about you than the poster that made the error.

Lol, let me just troll through your long winded, self indulgent post and point out every grammatical error and then guesstimate your education level attained. Plot, lost.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back