Mega Thread >>COVID-19 DISCUSSION THREAD<<

Remove this Banner Ad

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
My Uncle told me that with the amount of diseases around in 1939 , they were kept home from school for a few months and he had schoolfriends die .
Growing up we always had injections at school every year , it was the norm. These anti vaxers are selfish

I will have to take your word for it about what life was like in 1939 but when I was a kid, I used to read old school stories, and the old English boarding schools required the students to produce a health certificate at the start of each term declaring that they hadn't been near anyone ill, otherwise they would have to quarantine. And if you came down with measles or chicken pox after providing such a certificate, look out!

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
I will have to take your word for it about what life was like in 1939 but when I was a kid, I used to read old school stories, and the old English boarding schools required the students to produce a health certificate at the start of each term declaring that they hadn't been near anyone ill, otherwise they would have to quarantine. And if you came down with measles or chicken pox after providing such a certificate, look out!
No idea what life was like in 39 , my Uncle has written 84 pages about his life and this is what happened to him . He went to Middle Park primary , played South 3rds and had a lot of South mates. It's a great read about those times and how many diseases were around.

Pretty right in the broad details of the comparison I think.
What COVID has shown that seems to be a bit different to its other SARS stablemates is that it is more infectious and mutates more rapidly and more often.
In a global society the only way to mitigate regular outbreaks of new strains is to vaccinate the globe, not just developed countries. Otherwise new strains will pop up with monotonous regularity.
We're a long way off that place so IMO we are looking at masks, social distancing and 6 monthly boosters for some years. Regular localised lockdowns to contain smaller outbreaks. High infection rates a la Europe but lower death rates. Long COVID will be a thing for many years.
Individuals and communities who decline to get vaxxed MAY act as breeder sites for new variants, like the unvaccinated in the Third World who have no choice.
Cannot imagine any logical reason to decline the opportunity to get vaccinated. I'm due a booster next month and will jump all over it.
I'll start by saying that I'm double vaccinated and believe strongly in vaccination, and even if I didn't believe in the vax, I would have as I visit a nursing home 3-5 times a week.

I can understand a lot of the confusion and hysteria about the vaccinations.

As I understand it, most Govts around the world are about making money... (feel free to jump in here if you know of one that's not (sataris I'm looking at you here)) and they regularly ask people to do things 'for their own good' which turn out to be not for their good, and often leaves them (the people) in a worse position. They regularly mislead, often outright lie, to the populations they are supposed to stand for. The gap between the poor and the rich is ever widening, and even though we hear of the odd person who breaches the gulf between the two, they are the exception not the rule.

So we have an ever-growing class of people who have limited education, limited understanding of science, and a Govt that routinely debases the scientific community whenever they say something it doesn't like (such as climate change). Coupled with this, we have social media where any moron can post scare-mongering crap in bite-sized glitzy bits, and go viral...

Overall, I'm not surprised that people don't believe the Govt, and don't want to be forced into doing something they don't understand... You can't routinely lie to people and then expect them to trust you!!!

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
I'll start by saying that I'm double vaccinated and believe strongly in vaccination, and even if I didn't believe in the vax, I would have as I visit a nursing home 3-5 times a week.

As I understand it, most Govts around the world are about making money... (feel free to jump in here if you know of one that's not (sataris I'm looking at you here)) and they regularly ask people to do things 'for their own good' which turn out to be not for their good, and often leaves them (the people) in a worse position. They regularly mislead, often outright lie, to the populations they are supposed to stand for. The gap between the poor and the rich is ever widening, and even though we hear of the odd person who breaches the gulf between the two, they are the exception not the rule.

So we have an ever-growing class of people who have limited education, limited understanding of science, and a Govt that routinely debases the scientific community whenever they say something it doesn't like (such as climate change). Coupled with this, we have social media where any moron can post scare-mongering crap in bite-sized glitzy bits, and go viral...

Overall, I'm not surprised that people don't believe the Govt, and don't want to be forced into doing something they don't understand... You can't routinely lie to people and then expect them to trust you!!!

exactly right about the political class we have to put up with ... i remember, growing up, you'd see on the news just how little a politician had to do to be in strife, and forced to resign, face career-ending consequences ...
these days they just brazenly lie and deny, til something else comes along to shift public attention, which with the plague aspect of social media is usually a few days ... lies, corruption, vested interests or conflict of interest
at the core of the world's problems are at least these two tenets: wealth is power, particularly in media; and lack of education and poverty are an entwined, entangled doom cycle ...
the more an education is privatised, the wealthy get the power of educational opportunity while the poor are given less and less chance of any decent education at all, wrecking the chances of climbing out of poverty ...
and then there's the problems associated with multi-generational poverty: poor health, crime, violence
largely, governments don't much care if the poverty and sub-poverty classes fight among themselves, it's distraction as much as anything else

and on the vaccine (i'm fully vaccinated, i find the arguments against it incomprehensible), and climate change, the various debacles that befall the public (the nsw transport department, just this past few weeks, for just one example), all those important issues governments continue to fck up ... they just say stuff ... there's no substance, no sense they mean anything they say, they don't take accountability or responsibility, there's no integrity whatsover ...

i'll breathe out slowly now ...

Last edited:

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney

Pretty right. My parents, wife and wife's parents were all teachers. Years of govts of both persuasions throwing shade over the teaching profession and cutting funding has debased the education system dreadfully. All dreadful short termism.
What we are seeing in the US is a few miles further on, but it's the same road.
And there are people who profit from it.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Pretty right. My parents, wife and wife's parents were all teachers. Years of govts of both persuasions throwing shade over the teaching profession and cutting funding has debased the education system dreadfully. All dreadful short termism.
What we are seeing in the US is a few miles further on, but it's the same road.
And there are people who profit from it.

my parents were teachers

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
exactly right about the political class we have to put up with ... i remember, growing up, you'd see on the news just how little a politician had to do to be in strife, and forced to resign, face career-ending consequences ...
these days they just brazenly lie and deny, til something else comes along to shift public attention, which with the plague aspect of social media is usually a few days ... lies, corruption, vested interests or conflict of interest
at the core of the world's problems are at least these two tenets: wealth is power, particularly in media; and lack of education and poverty are an entwined, entangled doom cycle ...
the more an education is privatised, the wealthy get the power of educational opportunity while the poor are given less and less chance of any decent education at all, wrecking the chances of climbing out of poverty ...
and then there's the problems associated with multi-generational poverty: poor health, crime, violence
largely, governments don't much care if the poverty and sub-poverty classes fight among themselves, it's distraction as much as anything else

and on the vaccine (i'm fully vaccinated, i find the arguments against it incomprehensible), and climate change, the various debacles that befall the public (the nsw transport department, just this past few weeks, for just one example), all those important issues governments continue to fck up ... they just say stuff ... there's no substance, no sense they mean anything they say, they don't take accountability or responsibility, there's no integrity whatsover ...

i'll breathe out slowly now ...
So why don't we here so much about the NSW F ups , it's all about Victoria . Turn on to that slob Paul Murray and all he does is bag Andrews

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
So why don't we here so much about the NSW F ups , it's all about Victoria . Turn on to that slob Paul Murray and all he does is bag Andrews

I feel like we would have gotten on top of this more easily if not for the Murdoch media...

We've legalized bribery,

The simple fact that the LNP want to dismantle the corruption oversight checks and balances should be sending alarm bells ringing through every Australian.

But they'll just chuck you $200 before the next election and everyone will lap it up.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
We've legalized bribery,

The simple fact that the LNP want to dismantle the corruption oversight checks and balances should be sending alarm bells ringing through every Australian.

But they'll just chuck you $200 before the next election and everyone will lap it up.

that you're almost certainly correct, that this federal govt is likely to be re-elected (that the opposition has rendered itself largely irrelevant), is hugely discouraging ... in that it is a reflection of the superficiality of the political system as well as the electorate

That's because you're living in Victoria... if you were in NSW you'd mostly hear about NSW

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Quite a bit of diversity of subjects here in this thread:

- trump is an obnoxious piece. Yes protected. Give me 10 mins in a locked room with him and see how protected and narcissistic he feels aftwrwards

- media had no influece on outcome of course of this pandemic in Aust. Sorry. All they did do was to paint who were villians and who were heroes and for the most part correctly.

- politicians try to sell themselves at election time. Over selling happens often overturned when confronted with need for sound fiscal management. Could I do better? Probably not. The french are lying scumbags who destroyed the Pacific with nuclear tests and murdered a occupient of rainbow warrior. Who gives a damn whether they are pissed at us. Good I say. Glad Morrison bitch slapped Macron. Arrogant tool

- I've always been a swinging voter with a slight labor leaning. . we have been fortunate to witness up close the capacity of all leaders state and federal through this pandemic. The liberal leaders were shining lights with sound knowledge and judgement whilst the labor leaders were mostly idiots. I didn't twist or make that happen...... they did.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Not really Sky news is obsessed against any labor governments

absolutely ... to the extent sky, like a lot of murdoch media, exposes its hypocrisy by attacking labor govts for any particular behaviour, while ignoring liberal/conservative govts for the same behaviour
compare the vicious attacks on the andrews govt (whether you're for or against andrews) going back several years, but particularly through the covid period, with the constant defending and excusing of the trump govt for its entirety for far more egregious political, corporate and personal corruption, and criminal behaviour, or the failures of the morrison govt in upholding any kind of accountability for ministerial conduct, same for the nsw govt ...
which side of politics does fox news in america stand up for? which side of politics does (did, ha!) alan jones/andrew bolt/slob murray/chris kenny/et al stand up for?
and these are the people whingeing about abc 'bias'

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back