ATP/WTA COVID-19: IW/Miami Canned

Will Novak complete the Sunshine Double for the 5th time in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • COVID 19

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Edited: *sigh* Indian Wells has been cancelled but, at this stage, Miami will go ahead. Might as make this a C0VID-19 thread, as it is going to dominate news for the next couple of months.

The sunshine double; the biggest annual combined non-grand slam events. 3 weeks of top level tennis.
Indian Wells 2019 winners. Dominic Thiem and Bianca Andreescu
Miami 2019 Winners: Roger Federer and Ashleigh Barty.

Indian Wells qualies start on Monday, 9th March and it finishes on the 22nd March. Miami will follow right after beginning on the 23rd March and concluding on the 5th April.

probably the biggest question(outside a virus that is) is, Will Novak finally lose a match. Only 7 Men have done the sunshine double, and Novak is one of them. And Fed messing here is huge, as his record here since his comeback is outstanding., 2 final losses, 3 wins for RF since 2017. Bit of trivia for ya. The only person to have beaten Fed before the final since 2017 at IW/Miami is.........Answer below. Novaks recent record at IW/Miami isn't great with no quarter-finals since 2017, so gives hope to everyone else.

For the girls, Halep and Kerber(runner up at IW 2019) are both missing. Andreescu is doubtful. Have fun trying to pick a winner in a really open field. Barty must be a fav though.

Now, CoVID-19. The US has been slow in its reaction and there are tons of cases there. A couple of small changes have already occurred. We hope that is all but who knows how tennis and the USA will respond during the next month or so.

- Ball boys and girls will wear gloves, and will not be required to touch players' towels, at Indian Wells.

- Player and fan interaction will be limited and 250 hand sanitising stations have also been installed.

- Spectators who have already bought tickets, but are now be having second thoughts, can request a refund.

And the trivia question. Plus a poll, cause why not.
Thanasi Kokkinakis. 2nd round in Miami, 2018

Last edited:

What happens ranking and points wise now?
You lose whatever points you gained at the tournament last year.

The tennis Tour is very susceptible to this and it would not be surprising if a number of tournaments are cancelled.

Though I'm starting to think they go the no spectators direction, instead of complete cancellations.

Though I'm starting to think they go the no spectators direction, instead of complete cancellations.

This. There was other measures they could of took. I'm baffled.

Why aren't we cancelling NBA and nhl games in California then?

With one of the biggest tennis tournaments making this decision, it paves the way for all other tennis tournaments to cancel without worry of being the first to do it.

With the virus starting to spread through Europe, I'm not sure what the upcoming clay season will look like.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good grief the world has gone crazy and over sensitive to all of this. Maybe they were afraid they would run out of toilet paper. I imagine all tournaments in Asia in the second half of the year will be cancel if things are still like this especially the Wuhan tournament.

I was looking forward to watching some tennis as I've been on hols for three weeks and haven't kept up to date.

wish they told me this before I did the write-up. *sigh*

I get it. this was a really tough call. The health system can't cope if everyone is sick at the same time. I also assume they didn't want to cancel the tournament during the event and this event is 2 weeks long. That is a long time with this current virus. Indian Wells has a history with a virus' ruining an event as well.

They still left it very late though and I feel for all the fans, players and staff who travelled to the venue already. hopefully, Miami(the one I thought would be more likely to be canned) are quicker with its decision for the sake of everyone.

All Italian professional sport cancelled til the 3rd of April. Doesn't impact the tour yet, but if the outbreaks hit across Europe like it has in Italy, expect this to be the norm over the next couple of months.

Just looking at the WTA rankings with the decision

Ash is about 2031 points ahead of Halep

Andreescu drops down to 11th from 6th

If they cancel Miami then Ash (Obviously as defending champ) will drop to about 1450 points in front
Nah. On LTR the points tally includes both Indian Wells and Miami.
Barty listed as -1120 points. 120 from 4th round loss at Indian Wells and 1,000 from Miami win.
Andreescu listed as -1120 points. 1,000 from Indian Wells win and 120 from 4th round loss at Miami.
Other players tally up as well.

Back