ATP/WTA COVID-19: IW/Miami Canned

Will Novak complete the Sunshine Double for the 5th time in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • COVID 19

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

This. There was other measures they could of took. I'm baffled.

Why aren't we cancelling NBA and nhl games in California then?
correct me if I am wrong, but Indian Wells is a small place. It is close to LA for sure but the region is not large. So, I assume, because it is smaller, 1 actual confirmed test in that region(and many more outside of it) was enough to make the call. They went very early. personally, I would have played it behind closed doors as all the players are already there. heck, even just suspend ticket sales and limit the crowd if they didn't want fans to come. They would have prevented people from travelling, reduced the crowd but still allowed people who have already travelled to get some value for money.

They now have 4 confirmed cases. It is tough to gauge how bad the USA is inflected. The pictures coming from Italy are really disturbing I must admit.

On top of IW, Coachella in April(a Music festival in the same area) has been postponed and the PGA is thinking of moving a tournament away from San Francisco in May. And as others have said, this is the first of many tennis tournaments in the next month or so.

personally, I would have played it behind closed doors as all the players are already there. heck, even just suspend ticket sales and limit the crowd if they didn't want fans to come. They would have prevented people from travelling, reduced the crowd but still allowed people who have already travelled to get some value for money.
That may not have been profitable.

I doubt there will be much tennis played at all between now and wimbledon. I have a feeling Miami will pull the pin last minute amid fears there 2 week tournament will be disrupted halfway and than the clay season will be completely cancelled i feel as CoVid19 seems to be spreadly rapidly in Europe. Hopefully by the American Summer they can find a solution to the virus

I can't think cancelling altogether is going to please sponsors and TV companies. Unless they had some type of insurance for a full cancellation of the event.

tough decisions have to be made soon. Do they continue to play tournaments, mostly with no crowd, so players can get some type of income at least? Do they cancel/delay the tour until things get better, especially in Europe? Whatever happens, I just hope the ATP/WTA/ITF communicate better to the players than they did in this case. A lot of players only found out via twitter.

I think they should make some early calls. Let's be honest. None of us are buying Fed Cup tickets for mid-April in Budapest. A domestic sport, like AFL, can continue behind closed doors. But I don't think it would be fair for travelling athletes to do so. In anycase, I hope the ATP/WTA have some type of pension plan for the less fortunate players for this, whose incomes will be affected. Perhaps the lesser tournaments, like challengers, can continue to give players some income. Nothing should be compulsory though.

Tin-foil hat. This virus was made by a time-traveller Fed fanboy. It is ironic that he is injured during all of this. Just saying :p In before the French Open is cancelled to stop Nadal reaching 20.

That's what I think. It could be more about money than player or public safety. They may have been worried that if it went ahead and people stayed away in droves then they would make a huge loss so better not to stage it at all. They could take reasonable measures to protect the players and officials and the public could decide whether to attend or not. Maybe the oldies would stay away as they are in a high risk category but plenty of others would have been happy to go. (No doubt crowds would have been down somewhat though).

Got an email from tennistv saying they were extending the subscription by a month. Hadn't even thought about it tbh, extra month over the Aus summer is better than US summer given the time zones anyway. I wonder if they will keep extending it as more tournaments get cancelled.

99.95% chance that Miami is going to be "postponed". there are already reports that it has, coming from Fabio Foginnis father of all people if I traced the source

Tump has just closed the borders to Europe so I hope tennis players do not get stuck in the US. Indeed, the rush has started.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never seen this with tennis in my lifetime, certainly not more than a few weeks. Wasn't aware of the press release, but post-Trump restrictions on Europe travel suddenly became curious after checking out a little during Davis/IW W1.

Right decision. Professional tennis at all levels is highly vulnerable to virus spread, and fairness (access to particular tournaments) could also become an issue.

Hope no one gets stuck in the US for an extended period.

I said this before, but what a week. Probably the biggest one I have lived through. Certainly in the last 2 days in sport.

To think, on Monday, we were all shocked that indian wells was cancelled. In hindsight, that was an amazing call and really led the way in world sports.

6 weeks seems a long time. It could easily be longer. Who knows what is going to happen. Guess we will hear more about the tour schedule and ranking points at a latter date.

Til then, stay healthy everyone.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Back