ATP/WTA COVID-19: IW/Miami Canned

Will Novak complete the Sunshine Double for the 5th time in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • COVID 19

Votes: 5 71.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

How does he know he has it if he hasn’t been tested?
Bernie just strikes me as someone who tries to do the right thing (ie self isolating) but is so stupid ends up doing the wrong thing, like a Max Smart type lol
Actually quite like the guy, was probably the nicest of all the players I've ever met

The Indian Wells final just took place in a timeline without Covid-19.......

:(

What a 2 weeks from hell.

God, that feels like a long time ago... oddly enough is going to be the catalyst for me...

I doubt there will be much tennis played at all between now and wimbledon. I have a feeling Miami will pull the pin last minute amid fears there 2 week tournament will be disrupted halfway and than the clay season will be completely cancelled i feel as CoVid19 seems to be spreadly rapidly in Europe. Hopefully by the American Summer they can find a solution to the virus
sadly cant see any tennis being played until next year

sadly cant see any tennis being played until next year
Not sure on that yet. Clay season lost already and most likely the grass. Could see a resumption for the north American swing later in the year. Who knows though.

If the season is lost though, we are going to have some wild results when the tour resumes. I also think it's going to be very difficult for players in the 33+ age bracket, to resume professional tennis at the same level.

Not sure on that yet. Clay season lost already and most likely the grass. Could see a resumption for the north American swing later in the year. Who knows though.

If the season is lost though, we are going to have some wild results when the tour resumes. I also think it's going to be very difficult for players in the 33+ age bracket, to resume professional tennis at the same level.
im not sure if true but i thought i heard a rumour, rankings would be frozen as they are pre COVID shut down

(Log in to remove this ad.)

im not sure if true but i thought i heard a rumour, rankings would be frozen as they are pre COVID shut down
From a WTA article.

“What does a “Frozen Ranking” mean?

A Frozen Ranking means a player’s ranking as of March 9, 2020 will remain in place until play resumes. Points earned during the 2019 Indian Wells tournament will remain on a player’s ranking, as well as the points earned across all levels in the weeks that followed through March 9, 2020.

In short, a player's Frozen Ranking includes all points earned from 2019 Indian Wells through March 9, 2020.”

I guess it depends on a lot of different national factors. My guess is that the French Open is the first 1000+ tournament we'll see. Hard to imagine them going straight into Montreal/Cincinnati, and I believe the USO will be postponed a little. There will be 1-3 weeks of clay and HC 250/500s leading into the French (including Washington, Winston-Salem, Metz and maybe some Euro clay postponed from July). Just to get a bit of feasibility, continuity and matchform going before hitting the big events. Challengers will probably commence first.

All the Finals stuff in November will be scrapped for the NA HC swing. There won't be any 2020 ATP finals.

But then again, hard to grasp the crowding of other sports in various countries, and US elections are in November as well.

Tennis is such a global sports league that it may just be one of the last sports to fully get going again. The desire to get some more slams in before the year ends is the key.

Last edited:
I think the travel ban will confirm Miami's cancellation

I have flights and hotel booked for the US Open this year....
just re-reading this thread. What a crazy year. I hope you got your money back. :(

Boy, if only I could tell my past self what was about to happen. My write up was so full of hope :

In a non-convid world, we are 2 days away from Wimbledon :'( ......Probably a good thing for my sleep

just re-reading this thread. What a crazy year. I hope you got your money back. :(

Boy, if only I could tell my past self what was about to happen. My write up was so full of hope :

In a non-convid world, we are 2 days away from Wimbledon :'( ......Probably a good thing for my sleep

Yeah, just got message back that I'll be getting a refund thankfully.

I can't see tennis ever being the same again tbh.

Back