Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
End of the day as bzparkes said, be careful what you wish for.

Sorry but this is such a throwaway rubbish line, up there with if you want the borders open you want people to die.

We have to be realistic and realise they have to open at some stage (and it's going to suck for a few months when they do. There's an argument to say that Feb 5 is as good as a time as any

Sorry but this is such a throwaway rubbish line, up there with if you want the borders open you want people to die.

We have to be realistic and realise they have to open at some stage (and it's going to suck for a few months when they do. There's an argument to say that Feb 5 is as good as a time as any

If the modelling was based on Delta, yeah Feb 5th was a good time.

Things changed with Omicron

I do agree with you when we do open up we are in for a world of hurt

I don't personally equate wanting borders open = "* your grandma"

I'm just mildly bewildered how someone in charge on an ICU can be pushing so strongly for borders to open, knowing full well how bad the situation is on the East Coast, considering how under-resources WA hospitals supposedly are.

I don't disagree that the borders need to be open at some point and McGowan does need to pull the trigger eventually however.

You got a source for this? Nobel prize winner 2021 AstraZeneca is yielding no results when you search it

Actually I might of jumped the gun on this, theres articles lobbying for it but it seems she just to a shitty knighthood and her own barbie.

I guess that without the Nobel Prize, she's not really a relevant expert in this field and we have to take her thoughts on boosters with a grain of salt.

Edit: Also as a scientist who was cutting her teeth in the 90's family sitcom scene we may have to write her off altogether now I think of it

Actually I might of jumped the gun on this, theres articles lobbying for it but it seems she just to a shitty knighthood and her own barbie.

I guess that without the Nobel Prize, she's not really a relevant expert in this field and we have to take her thoughts on boosters with a grain of salt.

Posters have actually dug up, quoted and examined her thoughts on boosters already. Your statement that she “doesn’t believe in boosters” was completely misleading.

But apparently pointing that out means we obviously want her burnt at the stake.

Posters have actually dug up, quoted and examined her thoughts on boosters already. Your statement that she “doesn’t believe in boosters” was completely misleading.

But apparently pointing that out means we obviously want her burnt at the stake.

Yeah I bought it up months ago when it happened, and there is nothing misleading about it. She openly stated she doesn't think boosters are needed and that there is not good science on this yet and I don't care how many posters ran to the internet looking for Rueters fact checks saying "what she actually means is that people should get the booste." Copers gunna cope I'm not interested in having this conversation with you.

I don't care how many posters ran to the internet looking for Rueters fact checks saying "what she actually means is that people should get the booste."

Well there’s actually a direct quote from her from December saying people should get the booster, it’s not like it’s some random fact checker twisting her words into a pretzel to get to that conclusion.

Edit: Also as a scientist who was cutting her teeth in the 90's family sitcom scene we may have to write her off altogether now I think of it
full 180.gif

Assuming you mean Dame Sarah Gilbert? She said she wasn't sure if EVERYONE needed to be boosted, said it before Omicron (and she still said the most at-risk should be boosted).

Since Omicron:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/news...ah-gilbert-said-about-booster-jabs/ar-AARLiCU

Very strange article. I don't see her walking back any of her previous statements at all really. I see a lot of creative "journalism" of the kind the pandemic messaging is built on. If she believed that people should get boosted for Omicron you'd think there would be a quote of her saying "I believe the science says the booster is effective at stopping Omicron and people should get the booster." All I think she said was we need a new vaccine and when pushed agreed to say people should follow government advice and get the vaccine they are eligible for. Generally, if you need to splice together half sentence quotes from 3 different lectures or statements to fit a specific narrative the person being quoted probably didn't say what you wanted them to say.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was there just

“Speaking at the 44th Richard Dimbleby Lecture on December 7, Dame Sarah Gilbert said that until more was known about the Omicron variant 'we should be cautious, and take steps to slow down the spread of this new variant.'

She went on to urge people 'get boosted now'and said: "Every time a new variant arises, vaccine developers have started work on a new version of the vaccine, and the same is true for Omicron. The work starts straight away, at risk, without waiting to find out if a change will be needed. But this may not be needed.

"Getting vaccinated now, and getting boosted, is still the best way to protect ourselves. Vaccines are still the way out."

Before this what did Sarah Gilbert say/didn't say thing turns into a farse I just want to point out that what she originally said about the boosters was something that can't be walked back and I don't believe she walked them back at all.

My advice to all West Australians is: if you have a job you need, a mortgage to pay, have a need or want to be able to participate in society and don't have a medical exemption from getting your booster then of course I recommend that you follow the mandate and get the booster. My advice to myself will be to get the booster [Novavax] when that time comes if the mandate is in place.

That doesn't mean that that conclusion or opinion has anything to do with my beliefs about the scientific validity of boosting 2019 OG variant antibodies into the face of Omicron and its sub-variants during 2022. Dr Sarah said what she needed to say so she was able to keep doing her job without being cancelled [which her original comments put her at risk of] and now she's deep into her work developing a new vaccine for Omicron that might actually work. Pretty obvious stuff but I know the entry level ham fisted propaganda passed off as journalism these days can be hard to argue with in the minds of those who desperately need to keep believing in narratives from central planning.

Were those staff actually hired though? With everything I’ve heard about our hospital system, I find it hard to believe they’re currently at 125% staffing levels.
This is complete hearsay and should be treated as such, but I overheard a conversation from some higher-ups at work suggesting they are finding it extremely difficult to fill positions here at FSH.

Looks like McGowan forgot to get the medical experts on board before he "took their advice" in delaying the border opening. Delicious.

Looks like McGowan forgot to get the medical experts on board before he "took their advice" in delaying the border opening.
I'd honestly like to know what spooked McGowan over the 'opening' date. What was different than a week or a month prior. Because I think that is what most folks who are upset are questioning: what was the difference?

Ignoring that Feb 5 was a pretty terrible date to have chosen, being the first week of school returning. You've got a date which causes a lot of people's transportation to change, and within the same week you want to weaken the state's defence against transmission.

I'm beginning to think that's what was being pointed out to the premier, and he finally realised that may have been a bad idea.

“Speaking at the 44th Richard Dimbleby Lecture on December 7, Dame Sarah Gilbert said that until more was known about the Omicron variant 'we should be cautious, and take steps to slow down the spread of this new variant.'

She went on to urge people 'get boosted now'and said: "Every time a new variant arises, vaccine developers have started work on a new version of the vaccine, and the same is true for Omicron. The work starts straight away, at risk, without waiting to find out if a change will be needed. But this may not be needed.

"Getting vaccinated now, and getting boosted, is still the best way to protect ourselves. Vaccines are still the way out."

Yeah I read it multiple times. December 7 was what, a week into Omicron?

How do you not have the ability to break this up into the necessary parts? I though you were a lawyer?

1. "Until we know more about Omicron we should be cautious and takes steps to slow the spread'

This is not a statement about boosters.

2. "Every time a new variants arises, vaccine developers have started work on a new version of the vaccine"

This is not a statement about boosters either. And is either a neutral statement on current boosters or more readily should be viewed as a counter signal to their likely effectiveness.

3. Getting vaccinated now, and getting boosted is still...

Well as has been pointed out, she is on record as saying that boosters are appropriate for the immunocompromised and elderly so this statement is not evidence she has changed her position or walked back anything at all.

You are drawing your own conclusions and modifying her statements to fit a specificity that just isn't there. There is no way known that on December 7th - a week into Omicron at a time which nothing was known about it- that Sarah Gilbert is going to say on record specifically that she knows that the current vaccines are going to be effective against Omicron or that future Omicron policy in January and February of 2022 should be based around bringing Boosters forward for everyone and expanded to target everyone. She doesn't know that so isn't going to say it. And she didn't say it. and all indications are she does not believe it and would not say it now even if asked.

Cliffs
“A Nobel Prize winner said boosters weren’t needed.”
“Do you mean Dr Sarah Gilbert? Here’s what she actually said. She also didn’t win a Nobel by the way”
“Clearly some Reuters “fact checker”has desperately spun her words to fit their narrative”
“Actually it’s a direct, more recent, quote from her”
“This is becoming a farce. Allow me to head it off by desperately spinning her words to fit my narrative”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back