Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you can not go near them for … I dunno… two years? Just to even things up?

Or perhaps you can just stay with them and not go out. Omicron infection is almost guaranteed - so stay at home please.

The fact that your right to fly home for a holiday and see your parents apparently trumps my elderly parents’ right to leave their house says everything anyone would need to know about the way you’re approaching this issue, frankly.

So Spotify is removing all of Neil youngs music after he said it’s either me or Joe Rogan ( apparently Neil wasn’t too happy with joes Covid stance )

Spotify chose Rogan

Here’s to you Neil :)

Keep on rocking in the free world

The fact that your right to fly home for a holiday and see your parents apparently trumps my elderly parents’ right to leave their house says everything anyone would need to know about the way you’re approaching this issue, frankly.

See this is the thing. You show me an extreme, I’ll show one back.

In reality it needs to be a a mix of both measures, and nothing should trump anything.

There are plenty of preventative measures that your parents can take to stay safe, including but not limited to vaccination, wearing a kn95 respirator, staying away from crowds and only meeting people outdoors. Likewise, I am no risk to my family or no risk of burdening the health system, and as such should not need to quarantine for two weeks, let alone need to apply to arrive.

We are at the stage now where living with the virus is upon us. The percentage of the population that can’t be vaccinated or use other preventative measures is so minuscule that it’s less than one to two tenths of a percent.

What is being ignored here is for all the lives we save with the measures we are taking - how many mental health issues, suicides, kids not getting a proper education leading to a broken generation etc etc are we willing to permit?

Do we really want to restrict our whole way of life for 0.1-0.2% of the population?

If your answer is yes, then that speaks volumes about your opinion of others, and is just as selfish as what you may regard me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can I, a west Australian with my parents, siblings and cousins all living there, fly freely into the state from Germany, without quarantine?

Can my parents visit me in Germany, and then return without the need to quarantine?

If you answered no to either of these, then no, WA is not open.

You realise that Australia has had very few deaths (relative to other wealthy developed nations) and some states in Australia (like WA) have had very few restrictions to normal life in large part because they've restricted international travel and forced everyone returning from overseas to do a fortnight in hotel quarantine? I thought that almost everyone agreed that this has been a huge success in not ending up with huge death tolls, economic strife and overburdened health care systems like many other countries (US, UK spring to mind), but I guess some would have rather killed off lots of old and disabled people.

See this is the thing. You show me an extreme, I’ll show one back.

What extreme did I show you? I said I was concerned about elderly people/people with comorbidities in my life. You said they should lock themselves away.

You realise that Australia has had very few deaths (relative to other wealthy developed nations) and some states in Australia (like WA) have had very few restrictions to normal life in large part because they've restricted international travel and forced everyone returning from overseas to do a fortnight in hotel quarantine? I thought that almost everyone agreed that this has been a huge success in not ending up with huge death tolls, economic strife and overburdened health care systems like many other countries (US, UK spring to mind), but I guess some would have rather killed off lots of old and disabled people.

Ahh the old ‘you want to kill old people’ line.

Most of these deaths have occurred due to Delta, omicron.

But keep being outraged that I’m challenging you.

Border control was absolutely necessary for Delta IMO.

Not now.

Once again. Don’t care.

But if you’re scared of Omicron… well unless you’ve got comorbidities or you’re over 80, then that’s an indictment on you for being a sook.

Where does the one year old in South Australia who died of Covid fall? I guess she was a sook? There was also recently someone aged around 20 with no known previous health problems who died of the Omicron variant.

Gotta wonder what these people would have been like during wartime.

“* this, I’m sick of staying home every night and blacking out all the windows. It’s been two years, we’ve got to go back to normal eventually. This is greatly inconveniencing me, and the bombs aren’t that likely to hit me anyway.”

Ahh the old ‘you want to kill old people’ line.

Most of these deaths have occurred due to Delta, omicron.

But keep being outraged that I’m challenging you.

Not now.

Who is outraged? I'm mostly laughing at your ill-informed posts.

Australia is experiencing by far its highest daily death tolls this month, and that is due to the Omicron variant. It is much more contagious but less deadly, and because way more people are catching it, way more people are dying.

Perhaps you can not go near them for … I dunno… two years? Just to even things up?

Or perhaps you can just stay with them and not go out. Omicron infection is almost guaranteed - so stay at home please.

Of all the benefits of the modern world global air travel must be one of the most artificial privileges.

The constant need to naturalise pre-pandemic norms is one of the more bizarre social pathologies of the pandemic.

Nobody could ever provide recourse for such an imaginary grievance.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

“We have, in all but name, lockdowns over East”

:think:

I agree that this was a stupid comment by her given the current situation. Given that the WA economy has been stronger than the major states over east, there have been many fewer days spent in lockdown, many fewer illnesses, and many fewer deaths, there were plenty of ways to portray the contrast between WA and the other states in a positive light without incorrectly stating the current situation in places like NSW and Vic.

At the same time, it's rather interesting that there was much more scorn and outrage directed at a neophyte state health minister than there was at the Deputy Prime Minister of the entire country when he recently said that "people are not dying [of Covid]" - an interesting comment given that several Bali Bombings worth of Australians will die of Covid in this month alone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 years of this is enough.

Life goes on
You know that this pandemic doesn't necessarily have a linear progression and it's entirely possible that eventually a variant comes up that is as deadly as Delta, as infectious as Omicron and has escaped the vaccine entirely.

Not now.

You'd need to provide some sort of public health justification for expediting the spread of Omicron in the community by opening up the borders as originally proposed.

Who is outraged? I'm mostly laughing at your ill-informed posts.

Australia is experiencing by far its highest daily death tolls this month, and that is due to the Omicron variant. It is much more contagious but less deadly, and because way more people are catching it, way more people are dying.

Yes sure. And the chance are that they may have also died this winter due to influenza, given that most of the deaths are in immunocomprimised people.

You’re not going to prevent all death, and nor should the goal be to.

Of all the benefits of the modern world global air travel must be one of the most artificial privileges.

The constant need to naturalise pre-pandemic norms is one of the more bizarre social pathologies of the pandemic.

Nobody could ever provide recourse for such an imaginary grievance.

Bizarre take.

Global air travel is a result of a globalised world.

People live in all different parts of the world for different reasons. There’s nothing wrong with that.

Saying it’s a privilege to spend time with ones family is an untrue statement. It’s part of life.

Wanting life to go back to basic normality isn’t bizarre. Nobody is expecting life to be normal. But heck. Australians can’t even handle using QR codes to scan into venues and have kids attend school wearing masks. What sort of bullshit is that?

Yeah but I can't realistically go to Sydney for work, or Queensland for a holiday, or Adelaide for [checks why people goes to Adelaide] ....reasons.

There definitely are restrictions on movement, and to question those isn't ridiculous.

The last few pages about border restrictions are....... interesting.

The borders have not been open since early 2020. I know this first hand because I had international travel booked in March 2020 which didn't happen, and it still hasn't happened. I'm certainly not alone there. In the last two years I've left the state once to travel to South Australia for a short work trip. That necessitated there being no COVID cases here, none there, that state being classed as 'very low risk' or whatever the bottom setting is, me filling out an application to enter SA and an application to re-enter WA. I was gone a grand total of 3 days. At any stage SA could've had a COVID outbreak (of 1 case), had its risk rating arbitrarily upgraded and I would've risked having to quarantine 14 days on return or at worst stuck there for a time. That my friends is not an open border. An open border is me jumping in the car and passing through SA, Vic and NSW before ending up in Qld. Might throw out a bit of fruit on the way but that's it.

For all the hoo ha around Feb 5 not happening, that wasn't a border opening - it was a border slight easing of restrictions. The carry on about how many people would be entering WA with COVID was totally OTT given what rules were still in place. What people like me want to know is when will the border "open", what will the "open" border look like in terms of remaining restrictions and what will it take for it to slam shut again. It's not feasible for most people to leave the state or plan to leave the state with the possibility of being stranded or having to quarantine for 2 weeks hanging over their heads.

Some people ITT don't seem to think they've given up much operating inside that framework but that's what it looks like. And that's just crossing state lines.

Yes sure. And the chance are that they may have also died this winter due to influenza, given that most of the deaths are in immunocomprimised people.

You’re not going to prevent all death, and nor should the goal be to.

Leaving aside that there’s no evidence that Covid is mostly just picking people off with a few months left to live, I doubt it is much comfort to loved ones that their mother/father or husband/wife or close friend might have died soon anyway.

Leaving aside that there’s no evidence that Covid is mostly just picking people off with a few months left to live, I doubt it is much comfort to loved ones that their mother/father or husband/wife or close friend might have died soon anyway.

I’ve missed 3 family funerals in 18 months due to COVID border policy.

That’s also not true. There is significant evidence that COVID kills mostly people with existing issues that are already life threatening

or perhaps my mothers detention without family contact in what was he her final year. is that living?
but we miss the point, you, led by the idiot premier and hysterical media, actually think elderly people in Sydney for example cannot leave their home safely. Keep drinking the kool aide.
The elderly are clogging every cafe about the place. all with boosters and very sensible.

One thing worse that blindness is to see what is not there.

Last edited:
You know that this pandemic doesn't necessarily have a linear progression and it's entirely possible that eventually a variant comes up that is as deadly as Delta, as infectious as Omicron and has escaped the vaccine entirely.

Could do for sure but let's not panic and brainwash the masses (not aimed at you) in the meantime.

Interesting to see the BMI and blood sugar levels of these anti vaxxers

It would be - but even with Delta, the data still points to most of the unvaccinated being older or with pre existing conditions, given that Delta functioned in the lung system.

Given that omicron is prevalent in the throat and higher up, it’s even less dangerous.

Based upon your comments I’ve seen I think you know this and don’t need me preaching to you… but it’s always important to mention these things I feel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back