Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I knew you'd come at this again with yet more misinformation.

Not misinformation at all.

Years ago, when the island was the site of a drug treatment center and other institutions, it had a chaplain. But today the dead, unembalmed and sometimes with the clothing in which they were found, are interred without ceremony. Prayers are offered one Thursday every other month, when the advocacy group Picture the Homeless visits the island for an interdenominational service.

Over the decades, Hart Island housed a Civil War prison, an asylum, a tuberculosis hospital, a workhouse, a jail and a missile base. Through it all, New York continued ferrying bodies that went unclaimed at the city morgue in recent times, an average of nearly 1,300 burials a year, including about 340 stillborns.

I'll accept your apology now.

Enlighten us?

Well I'm not totally sure you even read it...

Yeah it’s noticeable in that article that he doesn’t cite any Covid stats for Florida.

Direct quote from the article:

This in a state that has recorded more than 64,000 COVID-related deaths since the pandemic began.

To me its about what we do for from here, not comparing the past (in fact he praises our position). I read it as trying to relieve some of the anxiety around the place about opening the borders. Getting people to realize that just maybe, the sky won't fall down

But as I have watched the intensity of the anxiety rise in my home state from afar ahead of the scheduled reopening of borders on February, there is a sense that there is only one way to get through a pandemic, and that’s to get through it.
WA arguably starts from as good a position as anywhere. There will be problems but they should be dealt with on their merits and not catastrophised

With the deaths in Florida, it would be nice if we had a breakdown over vaxxed and I vaxxed.

it appears today they only stand at less than 65% vaccinated.

64k people have died in Florida since the start of the pandemic.

Now I know you 'freedom' people couldn't give 2 shits about anyone else's family but imagine if it was your family who had multiple hospitalisations/deaths from COVID and please explain how you could still justify their response vs the one here in Australia.

Easy to say their life is going normal now now that the majority of the vulnerable have died just so some selfish gits can walk maskless down the street to get a hamburger.

I imagine the relatives of the dead would feel quite strongly otherwise however.
I never said that their response was the right way. It has been proven in hindsight that locking down until vaccines was definitively the way to go. WA made the right call and Florida probably not (though I don't know if they could have locked down borders there as it is different geography etc).

The point I was making was that there is life on the other side of COVID. A lot of people are very anxious about WA opening, but that article gave the perspective of how life carried on in a place that was absolutely hammered by it. When we open it shouldn't be nearly as bad.

Some people keep clinging to the idea of staying shut forever, as if that will protect our freedoms. It's also important to remember we are living under a lot of restrictions (for instance, WA residents interstate can't even come home).

Omicron is already circulating in the community, so the horse has bolted. Time to open up and remember that it's not going to be the end of the world.

Last edited:
Not misinformation at all.

I'll accept your apology now.

Why would I? 2300+ were buried there during 2020, that is far above the average, no?

The year before (2019) was only 800 or so, it was trending downwards as less and less bodies were being unclaimed even as New York kept growing in size. I wonder why it peaked so highly in 2020? :think:

Well I'm not totally sure you even read it...

Direct quote from the article:

This in a state that has recorded more than 64,000 COVID-related deaths since the pandemic began.

To me its about what we do for from here, not comparing the past (in fact he praises our position). I read it as trying to relieve some of the anxiety around the place about opening the borders. Getting people to realize that just maybe, the sky won't fall down

But as I have watched the intensity of the anxiety rise in my home state from afar ahead of the scheduled reopening of borders on February, there is a sense that there is only one way to get through a pandemic, and that’s to get through it.
WA arguably starts from as good a position as anywhere. There will be problems but they should be dealt with on their merits and not catastrophised
I am very anxious that I won't see all my old friends because if I passed on COVID to anyone who then died I would be devastated . I have a little anxiety of the week or 2 I may have to have off as I do a private school run only my wife and I can do . How the school handles that is the little bit of stress . If the school closes or my job isn't needed I will survive . It's just my old buddies I worry about as my parents died years ago. I feel for my friends who have aged families as if they are my families . I just worry .

You a 90yo geezer about to croak it?
No but my mother's early 70s and I don't want her dying prematurely because people are too selfish to wear a mask or stay at home when they're sick.

I also have lung issues due to a raft of infections before Covid hit so again, I don't want to end up in ICU because plebs find it too 'inconvenient' to wear a piece of cloth across their face, or simply don't like being told what to do so refuse to follow public health advice.

No but my mother's early 70s and I don't want her dying prematurely because people are too selfish to wear a mask or stay at home when they're sick.

I also have lung issues due to a raft of infections before Covid hit so again, I don't want to end up in ICU because plebs find it too 'inconvenient' to wear a piece of cloth across their face, or simply don't like being told what to do so refuse to follow public health advice.

But research and data across the world has shown that masks don't stop transmission and vaccination doesn't stop infection (much less transmission). Vaccine mandates are an unreasonable infringement of intrinsic freedom of what to do with our bodies. What's the point? If she's 70, she's had a good run, let her go mate if it so happens.

They actually think this.

I never said that their response was the right way. It has been proven in hindsight that locking down until vaccines was definitively the way to go. WA made the right call and Florida probably not (though I don't know if they could have locked down borders there as it is different geography etc).

The point I was making was that there is life on the other side of COVID. A lot of people are very anxious about WA opening, but that article gave the perspective of how life carried on in a place that was absolutely hammered by it. When we open it shouldn't be nearly as bad.

Some people keep clinging to the idea of staying shut forever, as if that will protect our freedoms. It's also important to remember we are living under a lot of restrictions (for instance, WA residents interstate can't even come home).

Omicron is already circulating in the community, so the horse has bolted. Time to open up and remember that it's not going to be the end of the world.
Florida isn't 'on the other side' of COVID, nor is their vaccination rate very high.

Thankfully our government has done the most possible to preserve life so we'll be in a much better place than them instead of trying to play catch up with an infected population who actually can't get vaccinated due to illness.

It's not like Covid is one-and-done after all.

You are going to be exposed to it sooner or later though. Masks and vaccines won't stop that from occurring.

Why would I?

Because you said that my statement .....

"You do know that they've been burying New York's poor and unclaimed on that island for over a century don't you? Before Covid 19 they were burying 1300 people there a year"

... was misinformation and now that I've shown you the source you can see it's not misinformation at all.

Go on, say it. You can do it. I believe in you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You are going to be exposed to it sooner or later though. Masks and vaccines won't stop that from occurring.

Seatbelts and airbags don't stop people dying in car accidents either.

The inevitability of it is not an excuse for ignoring public health policies that are meant to make it as manageable as possible.

Florida's also had nearly 64k deaths so far this pandemic and has a slightly smaller population than Australia.
You can't compare it to Australia we have basically hidden under our bed for 2 years and live on a giant island

Because you said that my statement .....

"You do know that they've been burying New York's poor and unclaimed on that island for over a century don't you? Before Covid 19 they were burying 1300 people there a year"

... was misinformation and now that I've shown you the source you can see it's not misinformation at all.

Go on, say it. You can do it. I believe in you.

Misinformation can include omission of pertinent information, mate.

Like the downward trend of burials since it opened (yay modern medical science) , the low of 2019 and the high of 2020.

1642586043007.png

Hmm, wonder you might not want to dig hard enough to look at these numbers - 2020's numbers are far off the scale at the y-axis. Hmm... :think:

Border closures and quarantine for new arrivals would tho .

On the subject of Florida .
They don't have the luxury we have of a desert to keep a barrier . The poor don't have Medicare , or the dole . They have no choice but to soldier on .
Melbourne is or isn't soldiering on , I'm not sure . People are staying away from work and not going out anyway .
Sydney the same . Aren't businesses even worse off now . We wouldn't want our Mines shutting down . This could be a very bad idea .

I'm not against opening up, I'm well aware it has to happen but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't apprehensive, not that I'm afraid of dying, once you get past 60 your mortality is staring you in the face and you learn to accept it and the fact the world goes on when you are no longer in it. However I'd prefer it was later than sooner and I know some people very close to me who could expect to live for another 20 years in the normal course of events who are a 50/50 chance of surviving covid despite being triple vaxed.
So I don't have a problem opening up, I do have a problem with the anti vax, anti mask freedumb fighters who don't give a rats about anyone bar themselves and their "rights".*

*Lest there be any confusion I don't consider you to be among that mob :)

But research and data across the world has shown that masks don't stop transmission and vaccination doesn't stop infection (much less transmission). Vaccine mandates are an unreasonable infringement of intrinsic freedom of what to do with our bodies. What's the point? If she's 70, she's had a good run, let her go mate if it so happens.

They actually think this.

I like how Priddis Is Done has no doubt unironically liked this post. Read the white text at the bottom, mate.

What precautions are you taking ?

I'm fully aware of that.

I'm expecting to not get it as badly as I otherwise would and if I do, I hope there's appropriate medical care available so I'm not told to go home, or spend days in some hospital hallway because the medical system is overloaded, like many countries unable to deal with Covid.

Double-vaxxed, working from home, not going out to places unnecessarily, etc. Can't say I went out too much previously to be honest but I'll be steering clear of places where it's difficult to isolate.
There are lots of studies saying having low vitamin D and Zinc are large contributing factors in how severe your covid reactions are .

Taking vitamin D and zinc supplements is a very cheap easy way of giving yourself extra protection not just from covid .

Also diabetes and pre diabetes and big factors in younger people so if your in that group there is no time like the present to get make some changes for the positive .

Good luck to you stay safe

There is no comparison, as I'm a staunch anti-Maccaser
shake-my-head-snoop-dogg.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back