Covid 19 (OPEN DISCUSSION)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So last week he wanted to make the unvaccinated pay the price for not being vaccinated but now he wants to protect them because they are unvaccinated….
Seriously pick a lane

People have been double vaccinated according to the advice at the time (alpha and delta), omicron has changed things significantly and it now appears a mere double dose barely offers protection. Pushing back buys those people time to get boosted and achieve a sufficient level of protection, according to the current data and advice on omicron. It is not a person's fault that they are 'only' double vaccinated since it now turns out it's nowhere near enough.

You can accuse McGowan for a few legitimate hypocritical things especially from tonight but this isn't one of them.

So last week he wanted to make the unvaccinated pay the price for not being vaccinated but now he wants to protect them because they are unvaccinated….
Seriously pick a lane
His intention isn't to protect them. His intention is to protect the economy and the hospital system.

Can he bring forward the third booster to 3 months in line with other states? I would like to get it, but as it stands I have another month and a half to wait.

Id imagine that there would be a lot of people who didn’t get double dosed until late in the year (November/December) that are ready and willing for the booster.

Can he bring forward the third booster to 3 months in line with other states? I would like to get it, but as it stands I have another month and a half to wait.

Id imagine that there would be a lot of people who didn’t get double dosed until late in the year (November/December) that are ready and willing for the booster.
Can he? He has dictated it at my work from one month of 31 Jan, you must have the golden third to keep your job. As he says, two jabs aren't affective against Omicron. Three is obviously the winner. And if that doesn't work I guess WA just need to have faith in the great man that he can lead us out of this.

Last edited:
Can he? He has dictated it at my work from 31 Jan, you must have the golden third to keep your job. As he says, two jabs aren't affective against Omicron. Three is obviously the winner. Catching Omicron is clearly virtually a death sentence

Yes am aware of the mandate. It is based on the date of your second, if you aren’t eligible for the third as of 31/1 then you are ok but as soon as you are eligible, you then have 30 days to get it. That’s my understanding of it anyway.

I would think that if they want to lift the rate of third vaccination, shortening the time frame would be the way to go 🤷‍♂️

So for the over 500,000 people who have got their booster shot so far it will be starting to wane by the end of March start of April. Way to * those people over for doing what was asked.

Considering we did over 150,000 boosters in the last week, a very significant portion of the population would have been protected by the 5th of Feb.

Had mine booked for tomorrow, going to push it back now otherwise I'll be in that boat as well.

Facetious surely?

If not, at least there's going to be some wonderfully absurdist art produced by Westralians down the road.
No, not being facetious. The Omicron variant is more virulent than Delta but has so far been mild in comparison. While I don't agree with the 'let it rip' approach over here (NSW), the virus needs to get through WA in a controlled manner before winter or you may as well look forward to September/October.

Yes am aware of the mandate. It is based on the date of your second, if you aren’t eligible for the third as of 31/1 then you are ok but as soon as you are eligible, you then have 30 days to get it. That’s my understanding of it anyway.

I would think that if they want to lift the rate of third vaccination, shortening the time frame would be the way to go 🤷‍♂️
Sorry mate I shouldn't have quoted you, it was a fair question you posed

No, not being facetious. The Omicron variant is more virulent than Delta but has so far been mild in comparison. While I don't agree with the 'let it rip' approach over here (NSW), the virus needs to get through WA in a controlled manner before winter or you may as well look forward to September/October.
It seems like it's already out there in the community slowly spreading, maybe we'll achieve a happy medium by delaying

Not a fan of this news. Regardless, it's all moot if Omicron is already circulating. It'll start mushrooming and the odd case slipping through the border becomes irrelevant.

On a related note, why aren't we in lockdown right now? The border opening has been delayed, therefore shouldn't we be reverting to what has worked in the past?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems like it's already out there in the community slowly spreading, maybe we'll achieve a happy medium by delaying
Delaying is fine as long as there's a plan to let it spread. I'm still waiting for updated epidemiology reports to be released over here but it seems that while vaccinated people are contracting Covid, the main groups affected are the elderly and unvaccinated (no new info there). If you can look after grandma and grandpa and keep the unwashed out of public spaces for a bit everyone else should be fine to contract it.

Obviously there's no guarantee, but if pi arrived in a few months and is even more contagious than omicron but far less lethal, then tonight will make McGowan a hindsight hero.

Kicking the can down the road was the decision that had to be made, knowing the numbers you were getting over east even with double dosed populations and given the universally agreed sub-optimal (to put it lightly) condition of the WA health system. I however think he made a mistake by not nominating a date say in early March for everyone to get boosters done and give time for the 5-11 year olds to get vaccinated. People can deal with delays if you give them reasons and give them a target to aim for and reset.

Might be purely hypothetical anyway because it's possible omicron is already circulating in Perth. Anyway, an interesting few months we have ahead of us.

Delaying is fine as long as there's a plan to let it spread. I'm still waiting for updated epidemiology reports to be released over here but it seems that while vaccinated people are contracting Covid, the main groups affected are the elderly and unvaccinated (no new info there). If you can look after grandma and grandpa and keep the unwashed out of public spaces for a bit everyone else should be fine to contract it.
Maybe McGowan is holding out for an omricron specific vaccine, I dunno, I think he should have been a lot clearer earlier that delaying the border opening was on the cards. Just asking for trouble to stay consistent with the Feb 5th opening date in virtually every press conference and then dropping it on everyone at the last minute.
I could be wrong but my understanding was that the more you let it spread the more chance of a mutation which could lead to the next variant appearing.

i.e. The only reason we didn't lockdown with the latest outbreak is because we were due to open anyway. Now that has changed, then logically shouldn't we be locking down? (not that I want to).

Enough people being boosted to mitigate it? 25% and counting. Even 'just' a double dose offers some protection (even if it's piddly in comparison to being fully boosted). Also the testing still seems high and the case numbers at the moment are still a trickle.

Don't jinx it though...

Obviously there's no guarantee, but if pi arrived in a few months and is even more contagious than omicron but far less lethal, then tonight will make McGowan a hindsight hero.

Kicking the can down the road was the decision that had to be made, knowing the numbers you were getting over east even with double dosed populations. I however think he made a mistake by not nominating a date say in early March for everyone to get boosters done and give time for the 5-11 year olds to get vaccinated.

Might be purely hypothetical anyway because it's possible omicron is already circulating in Perth. Anyway, an interesting few months we have ahead of us.
The main issue with kids is they return to school next month. That has been a massive oversight all over the country.

Can he? He has dictated it at my work from one month of 31 Jan, you must have the golden third to keep your job. As he says, two jabs aren't affective against Omicron. Three is obviously the winner. And if that doesn't work I guess WA just need to have faith in the great man that he can lead us out of this.
Looks like u and me will need a 4th 5th 6th 7th et al.

So for the over 500,000 people who have got their booster shot so far it will be starting to wane by the end of March start of April. Way to fu** those people over for doing what was asked.

Considering we did over 150,000 boosters in the last week, a very significant portion of the population would have been protected by the 5th of Feb.

Had mine booked for tomorrow, going to push it back now otherwise I'll be in that boat as well.
Had mine a few weeks ago. Aren't I the idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back