Universal Love COVID-19 Pastoral Care

Remove this Banner Ad

double lol
05cb362a743209017eb95ce5a55ae07f.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

Assuming we went from full lockdown to no restrictions... yes people would gather in large masses. But as a 4 week lockdown would have slowed the spread of the virus... they'd be less likely to have it, and less likely to get it, and we'd have had an extra 4 weeks to prepare for it (which is aeons of time given how quickly the virus spreads).

How?

If you don’t give people time to prepare for a lockdown and they can’t set up /
Prepare then their business is likely to go under.

I work for a building company, if we were forced to shut down with as much notice as the restaurants did we’d go under or best case scenario have massive redundancies.

Now we know the risk, and a likely lockdown is coming we are preparing, setting up so we can work from home. Admittedly our site staff can’t work from home but we can keep the business going. I’d imagine a lot of business in a lot of industries can do the same.

Look at lines at centre link on Tuesday, that was after one industry was massively affected. Now imagine that after 4 weeks of shutdown and the majority of industries have been affected.

A lockdown in principle is very simple, and will work but it needs to be timed effectively that is what makes it a not so simple task.

I work for a building company, if we were forced to shut down with as much notice as the restaurants did we’d go under or best case scenario have massive redundancies.

Now we know the risk, and a likely lockdown is coming we are preparing, setting up so we can work from home. Admittedly our site staff can’t work from home but we can keep the business going. I’d imagine a lot of business in a lot of industries can do the same.

Look at lines at centre link on Tuesday, that was after one industry was massively affected. Now imagine that after 4 weeks of shutdown and the majority of industries have been affected.

A lockdown in principle is very simple, and will work but it needs to be timed effectively that is what makes it a not so simple task.

There’s a very interesting philosophical argument about the value of lives versus economic value somewhere in here.

While we absolutely must seek to protect everyone, we also must be aware of the immense suffering the loss of jobs and opportunities that the potential economic collapse will have.

Personally, as long as we don’t get to the Italian level where everything bar food and medical is shut I’m ok. I want us to keep manufacturing, keep building, keep things ticking over, because if they stop ticking they may well not come back.

There’s a very interesting philosophical argument about the value of lives versus economic value somewhere in here.

While we absolutely must seek to protect everyone, we also must be aware of the immense suffering the loss of jobs and opportunities that the potential economic collapse will have.

Personally, as long as we don’t get to the Italian level where everything bar food and medical is shut I’m ok. I want us to keep manufacturing, keep building, keep things ticking over, because if they stop ticking they may well not come back.

Agreed, but 0 deaths in vic would suggest the measures have worked to this stage.

I am not for one minute suggesting lives over the economy, that’s why the lockdown and the decision to inact it isn’t such an easy decision

Agreed, but 0 deaths in vic would suggest the measures have worked to this stage.

I am not for one minute suggesting lives over the economy, that’s why the lockdown and the decision to inact it isn’t such an easy decision
Oh not saying you were. Just that it’s interesting as a debate. Too many people screaming shut it down.

My builder yesterday called for no more slabs to be poured and cancelling trades to start in the next few days/weeks. Realised how bad it looks with people already saying we are going bust and s**t like that. Very next day its slabs back on but once at a progress payment waiting to get paid before moving on cause banks are dragging their feet like all * with paying installments. Guess no campaigner has ever been in this position but hopefully smash out a few more weeks

Lucky i didnt load up on my imaginary $1.01 for over 70. Cause someone 68 died today

Thanks for the reply.

We've had plenty of time to prepare- travel bans were enacted on the 1st of March, large gatherings cancelled on the 13th. Any restaurant who couldn't see this coming probably doesn't deserve to be in business.

As far as my work goes, the "make-it-up-as-we-go-along" approach from the federal government has made planning, re-structuring, and supporting our retail/hospo clients way more challenging than if we'd just had a lockdown imposed. Instead, we have state and federal governments arguing, no explanation on what each stage of the lockdown looks like, nonsense messaging ("stay at home unless it's essential, like a new pair of jimmy choos on your way to a hair appointment"), and customers who have no idea whether they're allowed (or even should) trade.

We're looking at restrictions lasting for six months. The question is would a more urgent response have resulted in a shorter disruption to the affected industries (although clearly lockdowns are only one of several measures in place). No one knows for sure, I'm personally of the opinion that the government should have taken this more seriously much earlier.

(and FWIW there's more than one industry affected- retail, hospo, arts, music, sex work, sporting clubs... a lot of people doing it tough right now)

We risk economic collapse regardless. Plenty of smarter people than me advocating for shut-downs as a means to limit long-term economic damage.

Gus Brayshaw just started an insta dedicated to Barbie Onions

This virus is going to be the end of society..

Came in to lift the mood. I am self employed and lost 70% of my business this week and that will go up to 90-100% next week.

Meh, if thats the worst thing that happens to me it ain't so bad.

```````````````````````````````````````````11.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of choccy already, even the arnott's mint slices are gone (only bought them because coles were out of timtams).

This is some ****ed up s**t going on over here.

In hindsight buying ten packets of biscuits didn't mean i'd have a a stash of biscuits it just meant i'm more of a pig than usual.

Out of choccy already, even the arnott's mint slices are gone (only bought them because coles were out of timtams).

This is some f’ed up s**t going on over here.

In hindsight buying ten packets of biscuits didn't mean i'd have a a stash of biscuits it just meant i'm more of a pig than usual.
Mate that’s heresy, they are queen to the king of biscuits, the Monte Carlo.

I do have to admit however that someone gave me a packet of timtams the other day (I have no idea why. Who just drops by to pick up something and brings timtams?) and I mercilessly destroyed them.

I do have to admit however that someone gave me a packet of timtams the other day (I have no idea why. Who just drops by to pick up something and brings timtams?) and I mercilessly destroyed them.

Crowns are underrated, but small so you can eat to many of them.

Also a big fan of the chocolate coated scotch finger

I’m kind of rationing them for use in a reward system I’m using to try and keep WFH in any way productive. Sort of “logon and finish tedious report” gets a TimTam and a cup of tea - full day gets some MarioKart time. I’m not really as good at this as I hoped. Also the cats start up background yodelling on cue for every Skype meeting. Colleagues must think I’m strangling them. Another day and I may be strangling them.

If I get out of this alive I’m going to have a second youth and work out how to spend 7 days off my face at a music festival. And I’ll buy toilet paper every day just because I can and I’ll fashion a wardrobe from it.

I’m kind of rationing them for use in a reward system I’m using to try and keep WFH in any way productive. Sort of “logon and finish tedious report” gets a TimTam and a cup of tea - full day gets some MarioKart time. I’m not really as good at this as I hoped. Also the cats start up background yodelling on cue for every Skype meeting. Colleagues must think I’m strangling them. Another day and I may be strangling them.

If I get out of this alive I’m going to have a second youth and work out how to spend 7 days off my face at a music festival. And I’ll buy toilet paper every day just because I can and I’ll fashion a wardrobe from it.
Once this is all over I'll shout you some sort of blended timtam, booze infused cocktail before a Dees game. In fact, unless I'm destitute after this, the first round of a Dees board meet up is on me.

Then we can go and watch us fail as a club at football.

Last edited:
Once this is all over I'll shout you some sort of blended timtam, booze infused cocktail before a Dees game. In fact, unless I'm destitute after this, the first round of a Dees board meet up is on me.

Then we can go and watch us fail as a club at football.

I’m in.
I’m also getting ******* obliterated, but that’s just the footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back