Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I was youtubing.

Listening to some Floyd. Then I bunged in The Cult.

One of the comments.

"I’m 87 yrs old I use this song to power my wheel chair."

Now there's a guy I'd like to have a beer with!

I had a grumpy American lady today telling me that everything is ****ed now and it is all my fault because I am lazy and/or degenerate and/or something to do with God.

I had a look at the sort of thing people like her in the USA used to get up to and came up with this.

jelloleftovers0611.jpg

I can kind of see why God, should she exist, might want to unload a big can o whup ass on the planet.

There surely has to be a happy medium struck regarding Australians returning home. Despite now requiring incoming passengers to have a covid test before boarding, we have just halved the number of potential arrivals which indicates a lack of faith in our quarantine system. However, in Victoria, we are still able to allow in 1000 tennis players and officials and contemplate the return of overseas students.

Now Emirates has discontinued flights to everywhere in Australia except WA, citing the new restrictions as the reason for their decision. Meanwhile we enjoy days in the country without any community transmission. I would have thought the pre-boarding covid test would provide an important level of protection and would also have believed that by this stage of the pandemic we'd have developed a sophisticated quarantine system that would almost guarantee the containment of any cases to the quarantine facility. https://www.executivetraveller.com/...w4Cdxkn8toVFlc56weu3fyQrHhLjaB64b-ceoH15n-tDA

2 tennis players here tested positive so testing before boarding is no guarantee that people don't have the virus.

The only guarantee is that there are no guarantees with Covid. A negative pcr test <72 hrs before boarding just provides another layer of protection to the 14 day quarantine

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only guarantee is that there are no guarantees with Covid. A negative pcr test <72 hrs before boarding just provides another layer of protection to the 14 day quarantine

I know this from following the Cambodian entry system. Everyone was tested within 72 hours of departure but no one knew till day 2 of quarantine whether someone on their flight tested positive on arrival. Made the difference between 2 and 14 days quarantine though not anymore as since a recent local outbreak everyone is now quarantined for 14 days.

I know this from following the Cambodian entry system. Everyone was tested within 72 hours of departure but no one knew till day 2 of quarantine whether someone on their flight tested positive on arrival. Made the difference between 2 and 14 days quarantine though not anymore as since a recent local outbreak everyone is now quarantined for 14 days.

Doesn’t sound like the same thing. The Oz travellers must show a negative result dated no more than 72 hrs before boarding

Doesn’t sound like the same thing. The Oz travellers must show a negative result dated no more than 72 hrs before boarding

That part is the same as what Cambodia did and many other countries are doing, the difference is that some other countries are shortening the 14 day quarantine period as a result of these pre-flight tests.

That part is the same as what Cambodia did and many other countries are doing, the difference is that some other countries are shortening the 14 day quarantine period as a result of these pre-flight tests.

Isn’t that quarantine shortening related to a further negative test result on arrival?

2 tennis players here tested positive so testing before boarding is no guarantee that people don't have the virus.
So let me understand....
People who are coming into Australia have the virus?
Has this not happened before? Are there not cases every single day related to this activity?
The OZ government have just announce 20 charter flights to bring in people from overseas. Are we not expecting positive cases in these flights?
just another beat up from the media I’m afraid.

Isn’t that quarantine shortening related to a further negative test result on arrival?

The pre-arrival test has been used to help justify shortened quarantine. In Malaysia, for example, quarantine is down to a week if you arrive with a test within 3 days of the flight and 10 days without the pre-flight test. Either way they do a test on arrival and before departure.

It is the same thing. Perhaps I was not clear or you misunderstood. The passengers had to arrive in Cambodia with a stamped, original certificate showing a negative result to covid. The test had to be done within 72 hours of departure, though some airlines interpreted this requirement as 72 hours before arrival which made the timing of the tests difficult given the waiting time for the result and certificate. However, as with here, passengers were again tested on arrival in Cambodia. A negative test on arrival meant only 2 days quarantine unless someone on the flight tested positive at the airport, in which case all passengers were required to do 14 days quarantine.

The point being that it is possible to test negative prior to boarding and test positive on arrival. We just have to be certain that quarantine operates effectively to prevent a leak into the community.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is the same thing. Perhaps I was not clear or you misunderstood. The passengers had to arrive in Cambodia with a stamped, original certificate showing a negative result to covid. The test had to be done within 72 hours of departure, though some airlines interpreted this requirement as 72 hours before arrival which made the timing of the tests difficult given the waiting time for the result and certificate. However, as with here, passengers were again tested on arrival in Cambodia. A negative test on arrival meant only 2 days quarantine unless someone on the flight tested positive at the airport, in which case all passengers were required to do 14 days quarantine.

The point being that it is possible to test negative prior to boarding and test positive on arrival. We just have to be certain that quarantine operates effectively to prevent a leak into the community.

Yeah yeah, of course it’s possible to go +ve in quarantine after testing -ve on departure. That’s why testing early in quarantine is arguably of little use, because it’s the 14 day quarantine which is key. But any extra testing can be a good thing.

Edit: And it’s a better filter than not requiring a -ve. Would prefer to stop the +ves boarding planes and exposing others.

Last edited:
Yeah yeah, of course it’s possible to go +ve in quarantine after testing -ve on departure. That’s why testing early in quarantine is arguably of little use, because it’s the 14 day quarantine which is key. But any extra testing can be a good thing.

They get moved to a higher security quarantine facility - that's probably the main use in terms of Australia.

There's currently a movement towards shorter quarantine periods than the 14 days, but more relevant for countries trying to manage rather than eliminate covid. Would be relevant for Aust for internal quarantining of close contacts if there is an outbreak.

The 14 days was just an initial guess in late January 2020 based on viruses other than covid, so it's surprising that it has taken so long to be adjusted anywhere:

Last edited:
They get moved to a higher security quarantine facility - that's probably the main use in terms of Australia.

There's currently a movement towards shorter quarantine periods than the 14 days, but more relevant for countries trying to manage rather than eliminate covid. Would be relevant for Aust for internal quarantining of close contacts if there is an outbreak.

The 14 days was just an initial guess in late January 2020 based on viruses other than covid, so it's surprising that it has taken so long to be adjusted anywhere:

2 weeks is a reliable medical timeframe, especially for sports physiotherapists. As in, you will be right to play in a fortnight with treatment, or two weeks without.

This is just another scatterbrained idea from a Thai government that has so far lured less than 900 tourists in three months to the country with its new long term tourist visa aimed at those rich enough to afford 14 day quarantine in resorts. Most of the 'tourists' are expats or Chinese who have purchased condominiums in Thailand using the visas to return to the country. You can be assured that the package would be very expensive. But I guess if you truly love golf and needed to enter Thailand, and money is not an issue, the Thai government would love you to help save their credibility and take up the offer. Theoretically all future accommodation is meant to be booked through government travel agents and the tourist visa can be extended up to 9 months.

This is just another scatterbrained idea from a Thai government that has so far lured less than 900 tourists in three months to the country with its new long term tourist visa aimed at those rich enough to afford 14 day quarantine in resorts. Most of the 'tourists' are expats or Chinese who have purchased condominiums in Thailand using the visas to return to the country. You can be assured that the package would be very expensive. But I guess if you truly love golf and needed to enter Thailand, and money is not an issue, the Thai government would love you to help save their credibility and take up the offer. Theoretically all future accommodation is meant to be booked through government travel agents and the tourist visa can be extended up to 9 months.

I like what they're trying. I thought the resort quarantine was a great idea, but they need other countries to follow suit so tourists aren't stuck with 2 weeks in a standard quarantine hotel at the end of their holiday.

I like what they're trying. I thought the resort quarantine was a great idea, but they need other countries to follow suit so tourists aren't stuck with 2 weeks in a standard quarantine hotel at the end of their holiday.
No one wants to spend 2 weeks of a holiday in quarantine, particularly at expensive hotels, hence the very poor take up they are getting ie. virtually no tourists. In particular, tourists don't then want to return to their countries to spend another 2 weeks in quarantine, thus wasting a minimum $6000 locked up in a room.

Let's see how many takers they get for the golf idea. The vast majority of restaurants and tourist businesses are closed so there is little for them to do when quarantine is over. The proof of success will be in the numbers, and currently less than a thousand is not going to make any impact on a tourism industry that had 39 million visitors to sustain it in 2019. The idea is largely marketed to rich Chinese not so much the western sector. Chinese tourists traditionally contribute only to Chinese run businesses in Thailand.

A second plane load of tennis stars and entourage members are in 2 weeks quarantine which I imagine means they don't get out to train on the third day but are confined indoors. Looks like the gods are watching down on us tennis haters. It is certainly an indication of how difficult it is to run an international sporting competition of this nature. Still I guess there is no harm in trying provided that our quarantine hotels and personnel are up to the task of containing the virus without allowing a community leak.We now have 47 players in lockdown.

No one wants to spend 2 weeks of a holiday in quarantine, particularly at expensive hotels, hence the very poor take up they are getting ie. virtually no tourists. In particular, tourists don't then want to return to their countries to spend another 2 weeks in quarantine, thus wasting a minimum $6000 locked up in a room.

Let's see how many takers they get for the golf idea. The vast majority of restaurants and tourist businesses are closed so there is little for them to do when quarantine is over. The proof of success will be in the numbers, and currently less than a thousand is not going to make any impact on a tourism industry that had 39 million visitors to sustain it in 2019. The idea is largely marketed to rich Chinese not so much the western sector. Chinese tourists traditionally contribute only to Chinese run businesses in Thailand.
This won’t please you GG.
It doesn’t please me, but I had warned about it previously.

This won’t please you GG.
It doesn’t please me, but I had warned about it previously.
Does worry me in one sense, B_W, but not in another. If I can get immunised sometime hopefully not too soon after mid march, then what others do will not be so important. Also I will be going to countries like Cambodia which have largely escaped the virus, though Thailand has suffered a substantial second wave. What is of concern is the greed of the rich western countries.

Anyone truly interested in an insight into what it is like to be genuinely poor should watch a little gem of a Lebanese movie that I sat up watching till 1.15 am last night, unaware that it is in Drama movies on SBS on demand. It is called Capernaum. It is subtitled, but it is brilliantly directed and the child actors' performances are amazing.

Just as we allow people to return to Victoria from NSW that state reports 6 community transmissions. :(

As long they are not from the Orange and Red Spots. Red can't come in and Orange is Simmlar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back