Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My great-grandfather is well into his 80s, living in a residential care place, and --as of last week at least-- still hasn't received a jab.

An aunt who works in the administration of the place can't tell us what the delay is all about.

In 1941, John Curtin inaugurated a Department of Postwar Reconstruction in order to draw up a vision and allocate resources to a new Australia in the post-war world. It was an inspired move in many ways, not least because the war was at its worst and it gave long-suffering citizens a sense of hope and clarity about the future.

It gave Australia a foundation for its future at a moment when it wasn't clear that we'd even have a future.

Australia is capable of momentous things, but not when it is led by a Prime Minister who sells us an idea of leadership and then delivers a steady supply of platitudes.
It’s a good thing Andrews isn’t Prime Minister then, because if he was, we’d be in a worse position.
As it stands, with regards to COVID, Australia is in an enviable position compared to pretty much any other country.

It’s a good thing Andrews isn’t Prime Minister then, because if he was, we’d be in a worse position.
As it stands, with regards to COVID, Australia is in an enviable position compared to pretty much any other country.

Interesting counterfactual regarding Andrews as PM, by which I mean it isn't very interesting at all and takes us nowhere.

I'm more concerned about the situation as it is. You might be satisfied, think things are gravy, but I can't help but expect a bit more from our overlords.

Being born out of nothing and living for a burst of time and then returning to nothing can seem a bit bleak. I accept and respect that religion provides a warm doona for life in a cold universe.

But f*** me, faith does take on some hideous forms, and the institutional expression of it can be ghoulish.

Nothing is Proven.

I am not Regliouse but won't rule out there being a Afterlife

Nothing is Proven.

I am not Regliouse but won't rule out there being a Afterlife

Fair enough, too.

I tell my son that the universe is a miracle, that humanity and life on earth is amazing and improbable, so maybe we shouldn't be surprised if we manage to find a life after life.

I don't believe in it, but who the f*** am I to rule it out?

As for religion, that's just one of the wonderful stories we tell ourselves in this life, and wouldn't it be great if we rise from the dead and have a chance to laugh about the absurdity of it all.

Interesting counterfactual regarding Andrews as PM, by which I mean it isn't very interesting at all and takes us nowhere.

I'm more concerned about the situation as it is. You might be satisfied, think things are gravy, but I can't help but expect a bit more from our overlords.

Nothing wrong with presenting a hypothetical situation, especially one that isn’t that far fetched.
Geoffrey Robertson made a living out of them.

Nothing wrong with presenting a hypothetical situation, especially one that isn’t that far fetched.
Geoffrey Robertson made a living out of them.

Don't get me wrong, I love hypotheticals. Spend considerable parts of each day indulging in hypotheticals, although not as much as when I was a teenager.

Don't get me wrong, I love hypotheticals. Spend considerable parts of each day indulging in hypotheticals, although not as much as when I was a teenager.
You must be a very old 46 year old. I hope you had fun well past your teenage years.
It’s important not to take yourself too seriously.

I despise all religion.
I like Hinduism in India because the gods are numerous and like comic book characters, and the temples are an eternal source of fascination with their colour, life, carvings and music. I guess it's largely the form of Hinduism designed for the masses that appeals to me rather than the more spiritual, intellectual version designed for the religious elite. Otherwise, I agree with you. The two dullest religions for me with the most prescriptive rules and morality as well as the most extreme denominations are Christianity and Islam.

You must be a very old 46 year old. I hope you had fun well past your teenage years.
It’s important not to take yourself too seriously.

With overgrown eyebrows and hair growing out of my ears, I find it hard to take myself too seriously.

Very old for my age? It's complicated.

I have grey hair, which some say is a signal of wisdom, but I also have the svelte and hardened physique of a championship welterweight and the emotional maturity of Rodney Dangerfield.

Now I feel like I'm writing a dating profile. The most important thing to know is that my hair may be silver but my heart is pure gold...

With overgrown eyebrows and hair growing out of my ears, I find it hard to take myself too seriously.

Very old for my age? It's complicated.

I have grey hair, which some say is a signal of wisdom, but I also have the svelte and hardened physique of a championship welterweight and the emotional maturity of Rodney Dangerfield.

Now I feel like I'm writing a dating profile. The most important thing to know is that my hair may be silver but my heart is pure gold...
You are clearly very intelligent, and you also seem to me to be an honest bloke, most importantly, with a sense sense of humour.
It’s all banter from me, please never take any offence.

Why I hate the right wing trashmedia kraken - part 247

Ahhh so predictable. And yet, still with the same deep sense of pathos. A remarkable combination, but our friendly right wing organs remain nothing if not groundbreaking.

Our story begins, not with ponies, but with the North West Melbourne Primary Health Network. NWMPHN. Don't you just hate an acronym you cant make into a word? NWMPHN. Sounds like Josh playing hard to get when the ball gag makes it hard for him to ask me to clean his belly button again. But I digress.

The well meaning folk at NWMPHN took a look at the suicide rate amongst LGBTQI folks especially youth and said, s**t, this aint great. Maybe being an organisation with a responsibility in primary heath, we should try to do something about that.

******* do gooders. See, this is where everything goes off the rails. Lefty SJW PC...have you got bingo yet? No? Shall I add woke...ahhh bingo! Sorry, do gooders trying to help. Its a problem see.

So these doo gooders and troublemakers at the N thing put out a campaign as part of a program of National Suicide Prevention Trials seeking to improve outcomes for LGBTIQ folks. The campaign is one trying to help by encouraging allies for LGBTIQ people in their schools, workplaces etc. Because, s**t, if being isolated because of your sexuality by homophobic bullying is probably bad, maybe having allies speak up on your behalf might help. A bit. it's called #SpeakingUpSpeaksVolumes

Ok, so far, so lefty.

Now comes the other predictable part. Enter the Herald Sun.

Now, what can you say about Newscorp? Without engaging the swear filter I mean. Nothing right? So what does the Herald Sun do?

Make s**t Up. Of course.

It runs a piece about the program, not about what its trying to do, or why , but instead saying its trying to stop people using the terms "mum" and "dad".

Welcome to the playbook of Safe Schools. Make up s**t about pronouns or genders or christmas or something to enrage the *******terati and sit back and collect.

Trouble is, it was all a lie. Nothing in the program said that at all.

But then the piece gets picked up by other constituent parts of the right wing trashmedia kraken, being dailymail.com.au and seven.com.au. What can one say about either of these fine upstanding pieces of journalistic integrity? Which is better, the Daily Heil or the one with Ben Roberts-Smith as cultural champion? I digress...

They then run with it, without checking. Why check, its perfect clickbait to their audiences. And between them rile up the usual suspects, probably leading to a noticable downturn in use of the SRP board here so Chief will be livid. And they pile on the unsuspecting NWMPHN instead with a violent trollfest of predictable proportions.

None of which helps anyone, except our denizens of the kraken, who once again prove making s**t up to harvest clicks from dipshits is a business model, and they give exactly zero *s about who they damage in the process.

And none of which helps any of the people this was supposed to be helping, who still are dying at 5 times the rate of their fellow youth because of, I dunno, probably the kind of people who can be motivated by fake news clickbait about pronouns and the terms mum and dad to leaving threatening diatribes on social media...or worse, some were actually ringing the network to threaten people there physically.

But hey, who cares right? All in a day's work for Ruperts friends.

I guess its a business model. But its ******* with our society, hard.

Last edited:
I just read that Andrew Peacock has died.

Not my side of politics, but I always had some liking for the guy. He seemed decent and stylish.

He was an interesting part of the politics of the 1980s. A menace to John Howard, which probably explains a lot of my appreciation of him.

RIP to 'the Colt'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just read that Andrew Peacock has died.
Not my side of politics, but I always had some liking for the guy. He seemed decent and stylish.

We had the same haircutter for several years

Haircutter said he was an arrogant, vain prick with difficult hair to cut

Cremation will fix this

We had the same haircutter for several years

Haircutter said he was an arrogant, vain, prick with difficult hair to cut

Cremation will fix this

My hairdressers don't see the better side of my personality. I despise having to sit in front of my own reflection whilst someone with scissors fumbles around for a topic of conversation.

I am a hostage to their banality. And then they usually manage to mangle what should be a rudimentary cut.

Wasn't it Peacock and Kennett who had an intercepted conversation in which they both pilloried Howard? I remember having a chuckle over that one.

My hairdressers don't see the better side of my personality. I despise having to sit in front of my own reflection whilst someone with scissors fumbles around for a topic of conversation.

I am a hostage to their banality. And then they usually manage to mangle what should be a rudimentary cut.

Wasn't it Peacock and Kennett who had an intercepted conversation in which they both pilloried Howard? I remember having a chuckle over that one.
My wife cuts my hair. Number 2 with the clippers. Done.

LFP says hi to everyone. He's looking a bit leaner since people have stopped feeding him junk and will soon be sporting a 6-pack.

PXL_20210418_073715510.MP.jpg

LFP says hi to everyone. He's looking a bit leaner since people have stopped feeding him junk and will soon be sporting a 6-pack.

View attachment 1105745

And he has, as always, better calves than some...

Sending horse hugs to my equine confrere. Let pony and horse be one, so we can join and fight the real enemy.

******* cocky Tiggers supporters. I hate those guys.

Here's to a new age of horse/pony cooperation.

ponies.jpg

Here's to a new age of horse/pony cooperation.

This place needs all the cooperation it can get. You and LFP can lead the "stocky" calve brigade. :)

I think it's time I exercised self control and stop myself from visiting this website for a while. Constant outrage and negativity over the smallest things here and on social media in general wears thin and largely outweighs the benefits.

Why am I announcing it? For some accountability, I suppose...

Next time you see me, make a comment reminding me of this post. Or don't - whatever.

Not letting this thread fade into the 2nd page. 85% of people in Israel aged over 16 have recovered or been vaccinated. That's cool, we have Ian Thorpe and Pat Rafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back