Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah it's Breaking Up Now and that why I think the PM should have Final Say not the Premiers
I’d prefer that Scomo has as little to say about Victoria as possible. We’ve managed this situation very well, and managed to maintain our trade with China. The only times I would consider crossing our borders would be a holiday to Noosa.

The matches can and will end up being played with reduced numbers given they’re not official competition games, but the more healthy listed players each team has the better under the circumstances so they can simulate real games as closely as possible. So if you look even more closerly I think you’ll find that my argument does make sense and yours stinks like poopoo so there ;)
Other argument I would favour is because we on the sidelines think Tohill isn’t a chance to play seniors shouldn’t be the consideration. I am sure he doesn’t share that view and has loftier aims. If Keane gets in Tohill should also. Both are listed players

Other argument I would favour is because we on the sidelines think Tohill isn’t a chance to play seniors shouldn’t be the consideration. I am sure he doesn’t share that view and has loftier aims. If Keane gets in Tohill should also. Both are listed players

Get a Covid +ve at the club and you never know who we might need to pick.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I believe that many things are better handled at the federal level. I identify as an Aussie living in Melbourne, I'm not parochial about the state I live in. We shouldn't let our political leanings influence the chance we have now to clear some of the blurred lines between state and federal governments.

"...
the decisions by the less populous states to hold fast their borders "plays to the parochialism in their own states – they can beat their chests and say 'Look how good we are at protecting you from these feral Newsouthwelshmen and Victorians'".
Australia's federation now stands at the threshold of a different test, one it's been failing continuously for decades. Not just to coordinate in one area of policy but to reform the federation itself. To simplify the messy lines of federal-state responsibility and to clear the clogged tax arteries that have helped give Australia an ever-slowing economic growth rate.

And, on this task, it is the states that have been leading the way. NSW and Victoria, notably, have overcome their rivalry to embrace the reform task together. The NSW Treasurer, Dominic Perrottet, likes to give the example of the current education dysfunction – the federal government is responsible for childcare, the states for preschool, the states for schools, the federal for universities and the states for TAFE.
"

Don't agree, responsibility is with the Premiers. Nothing to do with the PM.

The Feds should have some say - they are forking out big $$ -(even if Treasury /ATO can't get their figures right... someone's butt will be kicked for that)

I’d prefer that Scomo has as little to say about Victoria as possible. We’ve managed this situation very well, and managed to maintain our trade with China. The only times I would consider crossing our borders would be a holiday to Noosa.

I believe that many things are better handled at the federal level. I identify as an Aussie living in Melbourne, I'm not parochial about the state I live in. We shouldn't let our political leanings influence the chance we have now to clear some of the blurred lines between state and federal governments.

"...
the decisions by the less populous states to hold fast their borders "plays to the parochialism in their own states – they can beat their chests and say 'Look how good we are at protecting you from these feral Newsouthwelshmen and Victorians'".
Australia's federation now stands at the threshold of a different test, one it's been failing continuously for decades. Not just to coordinate in one area of policy but to reform the federation itself. To simplify the messy lines of federal-state responsibility and to clear the clogged tax arteries that have helped give Australia an ever-slowing economic growth rate.

And, on this task, it is the states that have been leading the way. NSW and Victoria, notably, have overcome their rivalry to embrace the reform task together. The NSW Treasurer, Dominic Perrottet, likes to give the example of the current education dysfunction – the federal government is responsible for childcare, the states for preschool, the states for schools, the federal for universities and the states for TAFE.
"
Hello Bob Hawke ............. time to abolish the states - have Federal and Local govt?

Hello Bob Hawke ............. time to abolish the states - have Federal and Local govt?

We're paying for 3 layers of government, is that the most efficient way to run a country with a population as small as ours?

Just talking to a friend in Austria on what'sapp. Their infections are low in numbers and the borders are open, with those coming into the country being tested. He is working at a restaurant in the mountains during this summer season catering to Austrian and international tourists whereas back here we won't even open our state borders, other than NSW, let alone international borders. for many months.

I realise I am in small minority, but as someone who travels a lot, I find the country's thinking, let alone that of the states to be very parochial and over protective, almost to the point of absurdity. When I hear and see what other countries are doing and how they are getting on with life, the attitudes that prevail here depress me. There are ways we could begin to open up internationally now with access restricted to countries with low or next to non existent infection rates, but we can't even get states to open up to each other.

As for all the praise heaped on the governments here for their quick action etc, yesterday's revelations about the 60 billion shortfall in the job keeper allowance and the mistaken access to the money by only 3.5 million instead of 6 million speaks volumes to me for the true competence of the federal government.

Just talking to a friend in Austria on what'sapp. Their infections are low in numbers and the borders are open, with those coming into the country being tested. He is working at a restaurant in the mountains during this summer season catering to Austrian and international tourists whereas back here we won't even open our state borders, other than NSW, let alone international borders. for many months.

I realise I am in small minority, but as someone who travels a lot, I find the country's thinking, let alone that of the states to be very parochial and over protective, almost to the point of absurdity. When I hear and see what other countries are doing and how they are getting on with life, the attitudes that prevail here depress me. There are ways we could begin to open up internationally now with access restricted to countries with low or next to non existent infection rates, but we can't even get states to open up to each other.

As for all the praise heaped on the governments here for their quick action etc, yesterday's revelations about the 60 billion shortfall in the job keeper allowance and the mistaken access to the money by only 3.5 million instead of 6 million speaks volumes to me for the true competence of the federal government.
The difficult thing is that they did need to shut down to get it under control and in order to shut down effectively they had to sell this thing as the devil. Now that it's time to reopen, many don't want to because the devil is still in our midst.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The difficult thing is that they did need to shut down to get it under control and in order to shut down effectively they had to sell this thing as the devil. Now that it's time to reopen, many don't want to because the devil is still in our midst.
Is that another way of saying that Australians are incapable of seeing the truth when It is staring them in the face? Victoria and NSW are the only states with new cases each day, and in Victoria, people in my experience are becoming sceptical of the seriousness of the virus and and are less cautious in their behaviour.

There is also a lack of understanding of what people are able to do outdoors and where and how far they are allowed to go. I saw 2 PSO officers yesterday who previously had overlooked about 20 people sitting around in an outside area in Acland St singling out a guy sitting on a bench at the beach with a can of drink who had his bike, helmet and bag next to him. The gutless wonders wouldn't act with a crowd of people but felt confident having a go at a lone person taking a break from exercising. He had to throw his can in the bin and leave. There seems to be a real grey area between what you can and cannot do outside.

I don't think the states governments restrictions are now fully understood by the public, and there seems to be a growing group of people who are starting to not care anyway. The virus seems incredibly remote, and I am in one of only 2 states still registering new cases.

Last edited:
The virus seems incredibly remote, and I am in one of only 2 states still registering new cases.

But if you were in a state where it wasn't spreading, you might view the devil as still wreaking havoc in NSW and Victoria and thus not want to be exposed to it.

Different people, including leaders, are going to come through this at different time frames. But I'm confident that we'll all eventually come to the conclusion that it's just something we have to live with.

But if you were in a state where it wasn't spreading, you might view the devil as still wreaking havoc in NSW and Victoria and thus not want to be exposed to it.

Different people, including leaders, are going to come through this at different time frames. But I'm confident that we'll all eventually come to the conclusion that it's just something we have to live with.
It's alright for you - you're not here. Easy to be philosophical from afar if not looking at being imprisoned in your own country for 6 months.

If I was in another state and viewed Victoria's or NSW's figures as dangerous, I would weigh that up against the damage done to the economy and lots of other areas of life, from isolation, child sexual abuse, suicide, education, poverty, unemployment, small business, tourism, alcoholism, mental health, etc and conclude that the extremely minimal risks outweigh the negatives.

It's alright for you - you're not here. Easy to be philosophical from afar if not looking at being imprisoned in your own country for 6 months.

If I was in another state and viewed Victoria's or NSW's figures as dangerous, I would weigh that up against the damage done to the economy and lots of other areas of life, from isolation, child sexual abuse, suicide, education, poverty, unemployment, small business, tourism, alcoholism, mental health, etc and conclude that the extremely minimal risks outweigh the negatives.
I'm just saying that things will gradually open and attitudes will relax, but you can't expect everyone to relax at the same rate. There are still people gradually beginning to peak out of there apartments in China, whilst others are living large. It's just the way it'll go. My fingers are crossed for you that the leaders move at a similar pace to what you want them to. But the reality is you'll have neighbours who want them to move more slowly.

Okay, one team one dream is over with these irrational border restrictions

Time for State of Origin economics!

Tassie and SA - you’re f*cked without the subsidies and bullshit deals like the submarines (good places to locate a call centre)

Qld not so good without southern state tourism (watch their population get more pissed off with this)

WA and NT powering with their resources
(careful - don’t suffer the resources trap like Saudis etc)

NSW temporarily hit but diversified economy will rebound well in long-term (buy SA and Tasmania and turn them into Japanese retirement villages)

Victoria good, not as strong as NSW but still infrastructure rich from 19C gold and a century of tariffs that caused the rest of the country to overpay for imports (buy Tasmania after corrupt NSW property developers bankrupt the place)

ACT subsidised by high PAYG tax base - you’re f*cked if the jobs are relocated to where people want to live (buy Frankston and Byron now).

Okay, one team one dream is over with these irrational border restrictions

Time for State of Origin economics!

Qld not so good without southern state tourism (watch their population get more pissed off with this)
Good summary WBW. The bolded part is precisely why I like the federal government and even Pauline Hanson weighing into the debate. The more the issue is in the face of Queensland people, the more pissed off they will become at the premier's intention to maintain border closures till potentially September.

Last edited:

Scomo is doing his best to kill as much of our trade with China as possible. Absolute moron.

Scomo is doing his best to kill as much of our trade with China as possible. Absolute moron.

It is reasonable to debate if ScoMo and Payne got their tactics right on this, but good evidence to argue their intent is correct

Things to consider:
*wild life markets in China caused SARS and Covid 19 (staggering, enduring cost)
* China continues, and has provided recent tax incentives, to export wild life
* China delayed revealing crucial information around Covid
* China is trying to buy cheap infrastructure assets and foreclose on inter-sovereign loans as consequence of Covid
* China, Iran, and Russia are major sources of Covid online misinformation
* China has ramped up authoritarian practices: HK security law proposals latest endeavour

China under Xi is both our biggest trade partner and a hostile actor on many fronts

Macron and Merkel have swung strongly to the view that China is causing mass damage (they regret how EU lack of support in GFC for member states led to China buying Greek ports etc)

As a biz owner who lost a bit because of SARS, and had to close 1 biz because of Covid and another draining my savings, I would be delighted if the homicidal idiocy of wild life markets is stopped

We criticise our politicians for being cynical and not having a moral compass

ScoMo, our Opposition, and 60+ countries and counting are on the right side of history on calling this investigation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back