Certified Legendary Thread Covid, Life, UFOs, Food, & Wordle :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tedros Adhanom, head of WHO hence why I kept asking WHO is that - lapdog to Xi was the cartoon

o_O

9DECB8EF-EA44-41C2-937C-C835D95DA97C.png

In Turkey parents have been banned from taking their sprogs to the markets.
Personally I think the ban should remain forever.

Is the Grand Bazaar closed down? One of the great markets of the world that one. I’d imagine that would be quite resilient and will bounce back after the circus has left town. Can’t imagine the good folk of Istanbul getting addicted to any Coles / Woolies online options.

Did you still drive to the disco after she had finished dancing to pick her up?

No she was too busy at home studying to become a doctor.. whilst I was busy in the clubs mastering the art of seduction and that re.. funnily enough.. we both ended up becoming doctors.. Dr Luvvv right here maaate.. that's it mate.

Last edited:
I downloaded the Govt’s new Corona virus app to my phone as suggested by the PM earlier today and just out of interest, checked it now to get the latest information on the new restrictions. Am I surprised that 2 hours after his press conference the info in the app hasn’t been updated yet? How hard is it to have the new info loaded and ready to go as soon as the press conference is finished, FFS?!?

Government used the folks who provide us with the VFL coverage.

View attachment 851313

Flattening....yeah..nah!
You need to look at a logarithmic chart. The cumulative numbers are definitely going to go up, it’s the daily rate which is important. For the past week to ten days, we’ve averaged around 350 new cases with a couple of spikes in there. This is a flattening of the curve; the expectation/fear we had was that it would be 300 new cases one day, 450 the next, 700 the day after, 1,000 the day after that. Having the same (borderline manageable) number of cases each day is a win.

Of 350 new cases a day, perhaps only 10 would need an ICU bed. This is not good, but it’s not catastrophic either, and means we can sustain the fight for a long time without things getting out of hand. It’s also a big part of the reason why our death rate sits around 0.4%, whereas in Italy it’s closer to 10% (with Spain and France not far behind), and the US is around 2%.

You need to look at a logarithmic chart. The cumulative numbers are definitely going to go up, it’s the daily rate which is important. For the past week to ten days, we’ve averaged around 350 new cases with a couple of spikes in there. This is a flattening of the curve; the expectation/fear we had was that it would be 300 new cases one day, 450 the next, 700 the day after, 1,000 the day after that. Having the same (borderline manageable) number of cases each day is a win.

Of 350 new cases a day, perhaps only 10 would need an ICU bed. This is not good, but it’s not catastrophic either, and means we can sustain the fight for a long time without things getting out of hand. It’s also a big part of the reason why our death rate sits around 0.4%, whereas in Italy it’s closer to 10% (with Spain and France not far behind), and the US is around 2%.

Some of the discrepancies in the mortality rate are very puzzling, and not easily explained away by poor/underfunded health systems or corrupt/inept governments or local cultural practices. Sweden for example, as of right now, has 5568 recorded infections and 308 deaths. Significant under-recording? Something we don’t know about the Swedes?

Some of the discrepancies in the mortality rate are very puzzling, and not easily explained away by poor/underfunded health systems or corrupt/inept governments or local cultural practices. Sweden for example, as of right now, has 5568 recorded infections and 308 deaths. Significant under-recording? Something we don’t know about the Swedes?
At a guess, a lack of tests or a stricter set of criteria for testing, as people can mostly be managed by self-isolation at home and only reporting to hospital if short of breath.

Generally there will be under reporting of cases but deaths will be pretty accurate (except in China due to the CCP).

308 deaths is a lot though for a developed nation of Sweden’s size. There must be more to that.

Just checking the numbers; Italy’s death rate is > 12%, Spain > 9% and France just under 9%. Sweden is 5.5% but that is very high.

Just reading that Sweden has kept everything open and is not testing health care workers. Can’t verify, but would go some of the way to explaining the numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of 350 new cases a day, perhaps only 10 would need an ICU bed. This is not good, but it’s not catastrophic either, and means we can sustain the fight for a long time without things getting out of hand.
Sorry to be quoting myself here, but the numbers worldwide indicate that 80% of cases can be managed safely by self-isolating at home, 20% will need hospitalization and of that 20%, a quarter will need to go into ICU (so 5% overall).

Current Victorian numbers;
1,085 active cases
37 in hospital (3.4%, not 20% of total cases)
7 in ICU (0.65%, not 5%)

Now granted, 7 have died, and presumably all of those would also have gone through an ICU, but these are very manageable numbers.

In time we may have to weigh up re-opening schools to accelerate the spread of the virus, which previously was unthinkable. If it is too slow then we will be subject to wave after wave and outbreak after outbreak, tanking the economy.

Too fast, or really any acceleration from now, and you have to consider the cost of a human life when prolonging things might have bought time for the susceptible to get access to a vaccine or a more effective treatment.

Sorry to be quoting myself here, but the numbers worldwide indicate that 80% of cases can be managed safely by self-isolating at home, 20% will need hospitalization and of that 20%, a quarter will need to go into ICU (so 5% overall).

Current Victorian numbers;
1,085 active cases
37 in hospital (3.4%, not 20% of total cases)
7 in ICU (0.65%, not 5%)

Now granted, 7 have died, and presumably all of those would also have gone through an ICU, but these are very manageable numbers.

In time we may have to weigh up re-opening schools to accelerate the spread of the virus, which previously was unthinkable. If it is too slow then we will be subject to wave after wave and outbreak after outbreak, tanking the economy.

Too fast, or really any acceleration from now, and you have to consider the cost of a human life when prolonging things might have bought time for the susceptible to get access to a vaccine or a more effective treatment.
“re-opening schools to accelerate the spread of the virus“

No thanks!

“re-opening schools to accelerate the spread of the virus“

No thanks!
I get it, trust me.

But so far 0.02% of the Australian population has it, and we’re currently effectively keeping the curve flat.

It will become a political issue; how long are people prepared to have businesses closed and the economy in recession before lockdowns are rolled back? The full 18 months until a vaccine is available? Or do we go back to stage 2, schools re-open, and instead of having 7-out-of-4,476 ICU beds taken up (current 476 or so plus Dan Andrews’ planned 4,000 bed expansion) there might be a couple of hundred at a time.

Not only that, but elective surgeries could go ahead, cancer patients could regain relatively unfettered access to hospitals, etc. There will be a time when, if the curve remains flat, politicians will have to weigh up the will of the people and what is right vs. what will get them re-elected, will be on their minds.

At any rate, it’s a good thing that the implemented measures appear to be working, and a luxury that we can even contemplate such things.

I get it, trust me.

But so far 0.02% of the Australian population has it, and we’re currently effectively keeping the curve flat.

It will become a political issue; how long are people prepared to have businesses closed and the economy in recession before lockdowns are rolled back? The full 18 months until a vaccine is available? Or do we go back to stage 2, schools re-open, and instead of having 7-out-of-4,476 ICU beds taken up (current 476 or so plus Dan Andrews’ planned 4,000 bed expansion) there might be a couple of hundred at a time.

Not only that, but elective surgeries could go ahead, cancer patients could regain relatively unfettered access to hospitals, etc. There will be a time when, if the curve remains flat, politicians will have to weigh up the will of the people and what is right vs. what will get them re-elected, will be on their minds.

At any rate, it’s a good thing that the implemented measures appear to be working, and a luxury that we can even contemplate such things.
I think it is highly unlikely students in Victoria will return on 15 April. I suspect we will move to online learning for all of Term 2. That will allow around 14 weeks of stage 3 restrictions.

I get it, trust me.

Could we return to some sort of normality if testing was carried out on a much larger scale? Especially as it seems results are known in 15 minutes?

Think this would help in schools where a teacher has hours of contact with groups?

I get it, trust me.

It's an interesting idea how long can we stay locked down if the numbers stay very low. We may not have to answer that question if cases rise like they are expected to. It would be an excellent result if we can keep our ICUs freed up

Out of interest I was speaking to one of the anaethetists where I work and he told me about their current planning. ICU has been emptied out with 1 or 2 patients currently in there but they are expecting it to be full capacity with COVID patients on ventilators 2 weeks from now. Like all modelling its based on assumption, I dont know the details in this case, but its a sobering thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back